Here's what I've been up to.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timberwerks

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm no longer in the firewood buisiness because I decided to get back to furniture making full-time. Here is a recent project I think you guy's will like.

Thanks Adrpk

This table is made from Cherry, the bowties are made from Wenge. The finish is a Tung oil, Linseed oil and varnish mix. I'm working on a couple of Walnut tables now. This type of table design was made popular by the late George Nakashima, http://www.nakashimawoodworker.com/

Luckily I have a sawmill near by that cuts and drys these types of slabs.

Dale

You mix the varnish tung and linseed together? Sometimes I put linseed first to give the wood a 'drink'. Then after sanding and working the piece I'll put a protective layer varnish. I always ask people who might know if they think the linseed will lift the varnish in time but no one has said definitly if it would or wouldn't. What do you think? I 've also been told that linseed will darken the wood in time so if I am working on a piece that is timeless ( like something I'm not going to give away or use outside) I will use tung oil. What are your experiences with this.

Adrpk said:
You mix the varnish tung and linseed together? Sometimes I put linseed first to give the wood a 'drink'. Then after sanding and working the piece I'll put a protective layer varnish. I always ask people who might know if they think the linseed will lift the varnish in time but no one has said definitly if it would or wouldn't. What do you think? I 've also been told that linseed will darken the wood in time so if I am working on a piece that is timeless ( like something I'm not going to give away or use outside) I will use tung oil. What are your experiences with this.

Yes, everthing is mixed together. This type of finish is also called the Maloof mix, you can buy this pre mixed http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?...ADADADADGGNGBGMGPGPGGDADADADBDB&filter=maloof I like to mix my own because I go a little heavier on the varnish. Boiled Linseed oil will not lift a varnish provided that the Boiled Linseed is troughly dry, this could take a number of days or longer depending on humidity. Boiled Linseed oil is dry when you no longer smell it. Linseed oil will darken in time. This is not a high degree of darkening and it does take a long time. Tung oil is slightly more protective than linseed oil but linseed oil pops the grain better so I like to use a mix.

Dale

That looks great, you'd make George proud. Kudos

Timberwerks20Cherry20Slab20Coffee20.jpg

I used a logman tenon cutter. Got it from Bailey's. It's alright. My brother has the fancier tenon cutters I can use for work that is more important. I'm into rustic furniture mainly because I am sick of throwing out good wood. I am a landscaper and am always cutting wood. I save basically anything over two inches that is a hardwood. I especially like yew. Most of the stuff I make gets gobbled up by siblings, friends and people I owe favors too. I am always making something from something.

Timberwerks said:
I'm no longer in the firewood buisiness because I decided to get back to furniture making full-time. Here is a recent project I think you guy's will like.

]

Great work. I'm a fan a George's work as well. Simple elegance.

That looks awesome. Its HUGE! How did you cut the original slabs and do you treat it to keep it from splitting or is that dried? By the way, nice looking shop.

fmueller said:
That looks awesome. Its HUGE! How did you cut the original slabs and do you treat it to keep it from splitting or is that dried? By the way, nice looking shop.

Thanks

I bought this slab from a local sawmill. It is kiln dried and is 24" wide by 5' long and 1.5" thick.

Dale

Looks nice.

Did I ever mention that I got a trophy in a woodwork competition at the end of my senior year at Portland's Washington Square mall?

It was design award.

I gave up on woodworking because the fine dry sawdust caused too many pimples. Apparently, coarse pruning sawdust does not do that to me.

BlueRidgeMark said:
Gorgeous! How did you secure the bowties? Glue? Anything?

Thanks,

The bowties are set with glue and they are also screwed from the backside. The screw holes are plugged with a brass rod, this add's a little more character vs Cherry dowels.

Dale

Timberwerks said:
Thanks Adrpk

This table is made from Cherry, the bowties are made from Wenge. The finish is a Tung oil, Linseed oil and varnish mix. I'm working on a couple of Walnut tables now. This type of table design was made popular by the late George Nakashima, http://www.nakashimawoodworker.com/

Luckily I have a sawmill near by that cuts and drys these types of slabs.

Dale
That's some beautiful work there. Thought I recognized the style. George is smiling!

You ever do any work with green wood where you treat it with some kind of glycol so it doesnt check?

fmueller said:
You ever do any work with green wood where you treat it with some kind of glycol so it doesnt check?

No, but there are some wood turners in my area that do. I might give it a try sometime.

Dale

Latest posts

Back