Hey Avalancher..."Dog Days"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for not only the link, but making the effort to send it in.I have never had anything I wrote printed anywhere,so its kind of a tickle.

Thanks again, I owe you one.

Let me tell you Avalancher....you have a gift Sir.
Your stories are awesome...I'm not the only one here that has said so.

If you sent me all of your stories from this forum I could put a small book together for you.It would sell...I'll bet oprah would even put you in her book club...well maybe not ,but I know one thing.You have a gift.

I've already talked to several locals that have asked me about your and your dogs....

You may even care to submit them to your local paper.I'd bet they would love to have a story from you every now and then.

Even though I have read it before, I still sit here with tears in my eyes. Avalanche, if you ever do publish anything don't forget your friends here. I want a copy even if I have to pay full retail for it. Thanks!

Let me tell you Avalancher....you have a gift Sir.
Your stories are awesome...I'm not the only one here that has said so.

If you sent me all of your stories from this forum I could put a small book together for you.It would sell...I'll bet oprah would even put you in her book club...well maybe not ,but I know one thing.You have a gift.

I've already talked to several locals that have asked me about your and your dogs....

You may even care to submit them to your local paper.I'd bet they would love to have a story from you every now and then.

I heartily agree. For both personal and professional reasons. I would encourage you to post these kinds of wholesome stories in your new book, "The Adventures of Avalancher" -- a saga in truth, and tears, about life in the real world. Have a go at it my mang!

To Crappie Keith and everyone else.

Thanks for all your kind words,they carry a lot of weight with me.Im glad that you have enjoyed the events of my life,and its very flattering that any of you would think that it is book worthy.However,in all due honesty, I feel that a book is a little bit out of my reach.While I enjoy telling stories,both written and around a campfire,Im afraid that is where my capabilities end.For one,I wouldnt have the foggiest clue as to how to write a book or who to submit it too,and second,Im afraid that the majority of readers wouldnt find the things that I enjoy writing about very amusing.

Lets face it,most of my stories have a very limited appeal to the general public.The few times that I have shared my stories with folks other than the ones that haunt AS,they were met with other than favorable results.I guess in reality the majority of folks have no interest in a haphazard guy who is not only a little accident prone,but has been blessed (or cursed)with a very active black cloud over his head.Not to mention most of my stories center around my life as an outdoorsman,woodcutter,and a very bumpkin like clown from the sticks.

I recently returned from a vacation from DC with my family,and it gave me a lot to think about.I rarely visit large cities,and this trip really made me look inside for what I was.I am a country boy at heart with no business in a big city and among big city folks.The reaction that I received from some of my most innocent ways were rather appaling,I guess in many ways I never really realized what a clod that I am.A hick is probably a polite way of putting it.

I have never intended to offend anyone with my ways, and yet I realize that my days spent mostly by myself have taken a toll on my abilities to effectively communicate with others.While some may view them as mischevious and hickish,they are just simply my unconcious ways of doing things.Its because of that,I reveal myself only to my closest friends,of which all of you in your own way have become.The idea of sharing myself to the world would in effect probably scar me for life, I really dont think I could take that kind of rejection or ridicule.

Some have said that I sure have led an eventful life,but to condradict that, I dare say that my life really hasnt been any more eventful than anyone else.As strange as it may seem, i take a great pleasure in relating my shortcomings to those that I trust with a twist of humor,it somehow softens the blow that life often hands out.

Thanks again everyone for the kind words, and thanks Crappie Keith for sharing one of my stories in your column.It was a tickle to see it in print.

Avalancher, you (we) are the kind of people this country needs more of instead of them city folk you just visited. :cheers:

There could not be any more truth to that!
Avalancher...your humbleness is so awesome. I guess we get to have you as our own lil gem.

I'm gonna go out on a limb...Avalancher for President!!!!!!!
Could you imagine a leader with the kind of qualities Avalancher has....humility is hard to find these days.

Keep telling your stories...say any more word from the city boy you turned onto cutting wood?
Did the wife ever come around to the way of the woods? LOL

There could not be any more truth to that!
Avalancher...your humbleness is so awesome. I guess we get to have you as our own lil gem.

Could you imagine a leader with the kind of qualities Avalancher has....humility is hard to find these days.

Keep telling your stories...say any more word from the city boy you turned onto cutting wood?

Ah yes, poor ole Greg.Yep,we still stay in communication and every once in awhile they come up for a visit.Last time he came up we had a good time doing some cuttin and such,but I am beginning to get a little worried about the guy.He seems to have developed a permanent "worried" look on his face,and when he grins he looks plain scary.I guess the last time the episode with the backhoe really rattle his cage,he hasnt been the same since.As far as his wife goes, no change there to report.She is still rather cranky, especially when you wack her on the butt with a cutting board.Some folks have no sense of humor what so ever,and never will.

President eh?Hmm.That sounds kinda like a neat idea.I wonder how American would view their president when they catch him out on the White House lawn in his Fruit of the Looms hauling in some firewood?And forget the limo,Ill drive myself down to the curb store in my pickup when I get a hankering for beef jerky and pickles washed down with a liter of Mt.Dew.

Yeah - we require an update. Even if ole gregg's reverted back to his old ways. Good, bad, or indifferent, you gotta close the loop for us!

Congrats on being published. Now that your literary hymen's been popped, you can get to work on your memoirs, replete with the various and strange folks that populate your world. Can't be keepin oprah waiting!

EDIT: Thx for the update you were typing as I was seconding Keith's request

Last edited:

And Woodbooga could be VP. I am sure the rest of us could find a position some where. We'd get things straightened out pronto! :clap::clap::clap:

And Woodbooga could be VP. I am sure the rest of us could find a position some where. We'd get things straightened out pronto! :clap::clap::clap:

I will not accept if nominated and will not serve if elected. :)

I could go for an avalancher/TreeCo ticket. Hell, I'd even volunteer for the campaign as long as I got to attend high-level meetings in the War Room

Av - you don't give yourself enough credit. Your stories would have a broader appeal than you realize. Your writing is very similar to Pat McManus' writing - it is entertaining, humorous, and compelling. You don't need to know how to write well (grammatically), you just need to get your stories written and compiled. Editors clean it up. I wouldn't be surprised if Outdoor life would publish your stories - they are that good. I encourage you to give it a shot - what can it hurt? I would love to open an outdoor life and see an article by Avalancher.

I will not accept if nominated and will not serve if elected. :)

I could go for an avalancher/TreeCo ticket. Hell, I'd even volunteer for the campaign as long as I got to attend high-level meetings in the War Room

yeah, that would work out good.No offense to TreeCo,but it would be like dropping two cats in a bag and expect them to start talking Hebrew.I respect TreeCo for his views on life, but we are both too opinionated to get along very well.Any other takers?Come on woodbooga, you know you wanna!Think about all the corruption we could clean up.Anyone caught dipping in the federal funds has to split three cords of elm by hand with a camp hatchet with one hand tied behind their back in the dark while wearing their mommas sunday go to meetin dress.And Ill snap some pictures for AS while they are at it.

Back