Hi, my name is Claude.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Claude lost the use of his legs but he never gave up his dream. His true love for the woods came from his great grandfather on his Moms side. A hard working logger, as they all were back then, "people were literally bumping into trees when we first arrived". All the Men of the day were paid per log, usually a fraction was used to cover expenses for processing. Claude was born into a woodsmans life when the tall Firs stihl populated the strip. "if you weren't a woodsman you were married to one".
As a boy he learned the value of a dollar the old fashioned way, he dreamed of owning property, enough property that he could start his own enterprise some day...after the war broke out the woods had been cleared enough that things had changed quite a bit and the forefathers needed to retire their pull saws and hang up their gear. "Them woods were made for shootin", Claudes grandmother was left a widow and never took a likin to the woodsman and his grit, "he would leave in the morning and come home a new man, almost everyday". Something spiritual seemed to be had in the woods near where Claude got his first taste of the life he wanted to pursue . In the beginning it was only to keep warm at night, but the pile seemed to get so big, that the local townspeople wood count o Claudes wood for Christmas warmth. During the early years using Dads old machines was what got him by, but soon during the industrial revolution everything seemed to be changing, repairs no longer an option and new machines were the way to go. Claude knew in his heart that histrue calling was deep in the woods, but the townspeople all realized he was a well like member of the community, just seemed to be taken advantage of all too often. When the mayor announced that the budget and constituents required a better police presence Claude raised his tired and weary arm to volunteer...

Last edited:
Nice thread. Tomorrow isn't promised any of us, and your saws will be the least of their worries unless you plan for that day.

Thanks to all who replied.

I'm glad to see i'm not the only one who is a bit sentimental.
Funny how it seems to get worse as you get older.
Perhaps remembering those who have fallen
helps us deal with our own mortality.

If you know you will be remembered
that people will miss you
and you have left some mark to say you were here

then maybe,

your own final moments will be a little less scarey.:(

cheers
simmo

That was a cool story. I wish my 660 had a cool story with it. Only story it has it that I seen it on CL, drove to Charlottesville and bought it. :rock: His name is Earl!

Thanks to all who replied.

I'm glad to see i'm not the only one who is a bit sentimental.
Funny how it seems to get worse as you get older.
Perhaps remembering those who have fallen
helps us deal with our own mortality.

If you know you will be remembered
that people will miss you
and you have left some mark to say you were here

then maybe,

your own final moments will be a little less scarey.:(

cheers
simmo

Awesome post! My mom passed on 3/21/08, and all I can hope for is to have her kind of outlook when my time comes! They diagnosed her with lung cancer in January '08, and she knew where she was heading, and she was ready to go. Those last 2 months were the most special and the best of memories that we had shared with each other in our entire lives! And, thankfully, it was a secondary infection that took her, so she never had to go through the nasty part of cancer!

Simmo...

Welcome,, great read,,, Real things about real people,,, Good song,,

So much better than what goes on in the news,,,

Made me Think of My Mom's leaving,,

Great Memories,,, Rep to ya...

Claude!

The character of the man matches the character of the machine.
Good they got together.
Great read, thanks for posting and welcome.

Claude sat in the garage for a while after the passing of his true friend, days turned into weeks. Waiting with such eagerness that only he knew would someday be unleashed. Imagine that I keep thinking of him like papa or my long lost pal who has gone far away.
"Its not over yet" says the strong willing to fight til the end, this is just a stepping stone to what is to come. Claude smiled.

Latest posts

Back