Hickory questions.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawinredneck

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
OK, I'm not an idiot, but slightly confused about something. I was at a wholesaler today, spliting up some Black Walnut for them, and they were seperating out wood. They had ordered 12 cord of Oak and got Black Walnut, Oak and what they called Hickory.
I looked at, smelled, and felt the wood. Looked to me to be Post Oak, but what do I know?
How do you REALLY tell the difference?

OK, I'm not an idiot, but slightly confused about something. I was at a wholesaler today, spliting up some Black Walnut for them, and they were seperating out wood. They had ordered 12 cord of Oak and got Black Walnut, Oak and what they called Hickory.
I looked at, smelled, and felt the wood. Looked to me to be Post Oak, but what do I know?

There is smooth bark (Pignut) and Shagbark here in PA. The shagbark has long pieces of bark that can be pulled off by hand. The stuff is super heavy, and even after seasoning a few years still really heavy. It is real good firewood, I save it for the worst cold weather. Also we get some kind of bug in it, if you see fine sawdust in the wood pile, the bugs are in it, still burns fine.

I was cutting cedars on a place West of Pawnee Okla and started to notice a few trees that were characterized by lots of tiny "X's" all over the bark. They were in and amungst the Red Oak, White Oak and Black Jack Oaks as well as all the :censored: Cedars. They turned out to be Bitternut Hickory. The maps I've seen, it seems as if they just stop east of here , East of the Arkansas River.

They really didn't stand out from the rest without any leaves so I can see how they might end up in a batch of firewood cut late in the year. Black Walnut though I'd think they could easily see the difference before the cutters hit the bark.

Hickory is great firewood, don't leave it unsplit for very long, it will go doughy fairly quick. On shagbark I always take a flat shovel and scrape off the bark where I'm going to cut. Makes for a little bit more work, but those pieces of bark can rip loose while your cutting and smack your right where it hurts.

I was cutting cedars on a place West of Pawnee Okla and started to notice a few trees that were characterized by lots of tiny "X's" all over the bark. They were in and amungst the Red Oak, White Oak and Black Jack Oaks as well as all the :censored: Cedars. They turned out to be Bitternut Hickory. The maps I've seen, it seems as if they just stop east of here , East of the Arkansas River.

They really didn't stand out from the rest without any leaves so I can see how they might end up in a batch of firewood cut late in the year. Black Walnut though I'd think they could easily see the difference before the cutters hit the bark.

This "crew" seems to be gluttons for punishment!! They ordered in 27 face from Missouri "every peice is split". And it sure was!! Bunch of damn kindling, nothing bigger than 3" around.
Ordered 27 face from Oklahoma, first batch was six face of Pine, six of Walnut and the rest Oak.
Next 20 face, pretty wood, but so green they had to mix my wood in. They complained about it being green and got a "deal" on the next load. It was dry, but looked like driftwood. Again had to mix my wood in to sell it.
They raised cain, not sure what they paid for this, I think it was $30 a face, on this last load. They were in there seperating it all out. I figure it's late enough in the season they guy was just clearing out his lot. I told them to just stack it all together and sell it a hair cheaper as mixed hardwood.
It's been a fun time all around with them!

I grew up in mo, and there is alot of hickory. Like the other guys said its exc firewood, It is what your good hammer handles, sledge handles, and baseball bats used to made of , hard and strong! As for the walnut what a waste to burn walnut its to pretty for that and not as hard as you might think!

Thinking about those 3" splits got me to thinking about one guy that wanted Hickory and White Oak for his meat smoking business. Nothing was to be over 12" long, splits were to be less than 3" and he wanted to pay half of firewood prices at the time for premium wood and all the extra work.

I told him "I'm not that hungry" and he offered to throw in 10 pounds of ribs with every 6 'rick' order (1.5 cords). He got somebody to sell him wood but I don't know what he paid. Three cords worth of work for about $200 just didnt seem worth the trouble.

Well, the 3" splits, averaged 60-70% moisture. I wonder why it was split so small?:monkey:

They don't like paying my rates, $85 a rick, but sure seems I have had to "help things along" an awful lot this season.

the hickory will be stringy when splitting. the post oak around here tends too have twisted grain.both good firewood

the hickory will be stringy when splitting. the post oak around here tends too have twisted grain.both good firewood

I don't notice a bit of difference between the post and red Oaks. I think the post even splits a little easier. I've never split, or even cut Hickory, it's not that native in the areas I cut on. Of all the Oaks, I think Burr Oak is the hardest splitting.
Frozen, Red is a cake walk!! But that post, it sees the maul and just falls apart!

They don't like paying my rates, $85 a rick, but sure seems I have had to "help things along" an awful lot this season.

Hickory and White Oak for his meat smoking business. Nothing was to be over 12" long, splits were to be less than 3" and he wanted to pay half of firewood prices at the time for premium wood and all the extra work.

I many many times wander what people are thinking. I had to cave this winter since I'm a college student trying to get by (and my area isn't exactly "affluent"). Had nothing but hickory and oak...ended up selling for $60 a rick, $75 a half and $150 a full. Figured it was better than having to burn it myself since I'm moving after May. But where's the logic in paying LESS than firewood prices for smoking wood!?!?!??!??!?

I can appreciate a guy trying to ####er on the price...but geez!:dizzy:

To the original post....don't know my woods real well but after a summer of splitting mostly hickory and oak I don't see how there could be any question after you split it. Hickory is certainly no Elm, but doesn't break anything like Oak. Oak can be stubborn but when she goes she goes clean.

Edit:
BWAHAHAAA....I got censored for using the old-man term for "bargaining". My bad.

Last edited:
I many many times wander what people are thinking. I had to cave this winter since I'm a college student trying to get by (and my area isn't exactly "affluent"). Had nothing but hickory and oak...ended up selling for $60 a rick, $75 a half and $150 a full. Figured it was better than having to burn it myself since I'm moving after May. But where's the logic in paying LESS than firewood prices for smoking wood!?!?!??!??!?

I can appreciate a guy trying to ####er on the price...but geez!:dizzy:

To the original post....don't know my woods real well but after a summer of splitting mostly hickory and oak I don't see how there could be any question after you split it. Hickory is certainly no Elm, but doesn't break anything like Oak. Oak can be stubborn but when she goes she goes clean.

Edit:
BWAHAHAAA....I got censored for using the old-man term for "bargaining". My bad.

To be fair, you have to understand KS isn't what everyone thinks!!! There seem to be a multitude of micro-enviorments here.
Where KSwdsman is, he is swiming in Oak and not far at all for Hickory.
I on the other hand am emersed in Elm and Hedge. Locust, Hackberry can be found, but it's not the norm. I have to drive 100 miles each way for the wood I bring in. That is the variance in price you are seeing.

I don't notice a bit of difference between the post and red Oaks. I think the post even splits a little easier. I've never split, or even cut Hickory, it's not that native in the areas I cut on. Of all the Oaks, I think Burr Oak is the hardest splitting.
Frozen, Red is a cake walk!! But that post, it sees the maul and just falls apart!
yeah I guess its just a regional thing.

To be fair, you have to understand KS isn't what everyone thinks!!! There seem to be a multitude of micro-enviorments here.
Where KSwdsman is, he is swiming in Oak and not far at all for Hickory.
I on the other hand am emersed in Elm and Hedge. Locust, Hackberry can be found, but it's not the norm. I have to drive 100 miles each way for the wood I bring in. That is the variance in price you are seeing.

Maybe that WAS your red GM 1 ton with the tandem dualie goose neck I seen in Winfield last week. That looked like some decent Red Oak on the load. Nice rig too !
You wouldn't have seen me in the car, I was on the clock and headed the other direction.

You are right though wood just hasn't brought what it should in this area. It only takes a few selling it below market price to make buyers think that is what it should go for. It's a shame the buyer doesn't always know the difference between green and seasoned. Glad you are able to get better money for it there.

Hickory isnt prevailent here but your are right about the Oak.

Last edited:
Nope, wasn't me! Grey F150, and you will recognize the tag.
I cut North of there, I run 400 just past Fall River, then a couple miles North.
Oak has been crazy around here this year. $125-$150 a rick is the going rate! I am selling to them at $85, bulk, and selling to "customers" at $100 and undercutting everybody!

So ! YOU are the guy driving the local price down !!! J/K Any wood I sell is usually used for Christmas money and spending money for the boys.

No, I didn't see the tag , the first thing that caught my eye was the tandem dualie trailer then the load of wood stacked to the top of the bulkhead. After that it was the little blonde in the car behind with a cell phone glued to her ear waving her other hand around like she was saying " OMG ! I didn't know ! ".

Heh, 400 acres ! from the sounds of things you have plenty to keep you busy.

So ! YOU are the guy driving the local price down !!! J/K Any wood I sell is usually used for Christmas money and spending money for the boys.

No, I didn't see the tag , the first thing that caught my eye was the tandem dualie trailer then the load of wood stacked to the top of the bulkhead. After that it was the little blonde in the car behind with a cell phone glued to her ear waving her other hand around like she was saying " OMG ! I didn't know ! ".

Heh, 400 acres ! from the sounds of things you have plenty to keep you busy.

No Kswoodsman, I cut on 80 acres, I DRIVE highway 400 to get there!!!
With a little sweet talking, I don't see much of a problem cutting 400 acres out there, but don't need to. I have another 360 acres in OK I guess I am supposed to start clear cutting? I'm going to need a new saw and a LOT of chains for that!!

Back