Hickory Tree job.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclemoustache

My 'stache is bigger than yours.
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Thought this was a maple at first - then when I got a closer look I got a nice big grin on my face.

I really probably shouldn't have taken this job, but it's over now and all went well. A few scary moments, plus a bit of luck, and I'll not go into too much detail about what all happened, but just go straight to the pictures! :clap:

Here she is with a couple branches down already.

attachment.php

Nicely tucked between two buildings.....:msp_sad:

attachment.php

I made good use of the perfectly placed branch of a Pecan tree. I don't think I could have got it without that.
I also roped this branch to the main stem of the same tree, just to be on the safe side.

attachment.php

I don't like chunking, so I dropped the final 30 feet.
(No, you may not see the stump! It was not one of my best. :jester:)

attachment.php

3 1/2 feet at the widest.

attachment.php

View attachment 267778View attachment 267779View attachment 267780View attachment 267781View attachment 267782

My groundman. He's awesome!!

attachment.php

Lots of rounds ready to be split.

attachment.php

The unloading crew. They usually get paid in chocolate milk.

attachment.php

I was wanting to split most of this by hand, but I've got a question on hickory - should I wait a few months before splitting, or is it all right to split it so green?

View attachment 267784View attachment 267785View attachment 267786

I'll be interested in hearing what other folks say about splitting green vs waiting, but I can guarantee you will warm yourself twice with that tree. Once when you burn it, but probably more so while splitting by hand. Hickory more or less shreds rather than splits. It will be like tearing the fibers apart with your ax, maul, or wedge. I still do mine by hand, but I like to mix about 5 cord of nice straight grain red oak in for every hickory tree.

Here is a picture of my last hickory tree, and it was not nearly as big as yours:

267788d1355611569-h2-jpg

267787d1355611565-hickory-jpg

View attachment 267787
View attachment 267788

Last edited:
that much hickory

:msp_thumbsup: for the unload crew and the chokolate milk
special :clap::clap::clap: for the ground man (quite young this guy)
but if I think of the many splitting ax handles you could make of this
greetings john

Looking good! Splits better, dries faster and no bugs if you get all the bark off and let it sit and check up a little.

Agreed on letting it sit for a "while". I don't have a splitter and have done all my hickory by hand and it's been pretty good after having it age some. Still my absolute favorite wood.

Nice job unc!!

As for splitting, you're in for a fight with the Maul. Less so if you let it sit for half a year in rounds. If you wait untill the bark starts slipping it's not too bad, but still fuzzy.
Frozen after it has sat for several months is even better.
Think Elm.

You're gonna love burning it, but cut a couple dozen cookies about 1/4" and let them dry, then smack 'em with a hammer into chunks for the BBQ. PROFIT!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Thats a big old shagbark....

Great stuff. I love burning it.... best if you buck it up and let it sit 3-4 months before splitting

What a Score..
Nice Precision Drop in tight quarters too..
Good looking Ground Crew to finish the job..

That's a lot of work for any crew. You should be proud of them helper. Sounds like a great crew. :msp_thumbsup:

Back