High power electric saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marklambert61

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Did any one out there ever build or find an electric chainsaw capable of performance needed for a 36" Alaskan Mill?

Just brain storming a little...

Mark

:greenchainsaw:

Did any one out there ever build or find an electric chainsaw capable of performance needed for a 36" Alaskan Mill?

Just brain storming a little...

Mark

:greenchainsaw:

Logosol sells them for their mills, they come on single- and 3-phase 220V versions. I think they are ca.8-9 HP, maybe more? They are a beast though (70 lbs) and not sure they'd be fun on an Alaskan. They claim running 3/8 picco (LP) chain with bars up to 90 cm (36")

Power: 3-phase, 220 V, 30A
Weight: 70 lbs (32 kg)
Chain speed: 74 Ft/sec (22,5 m/sec)

http://www.logosol.com/_sawmills/m7/electricsaw.php

Several good posts on this in this very forum in the past where we talked about problems with electric motors and milling. Bottom line, just pure physics... you can't get past ohms law... there just isn't enough power from most motor setups to perform well without some serious ($$$$) enhancements like 3 phase, voltage inverters etc etc. At that point they become too expensive and for the same money you can get a more powerful motor driven mill.

Last edited:
If you have a compressor.hydralic saw would be better.They use them under water.

Last edited:
here are a cuple of links to pages with info on some interesting old relics.

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...249621ce5806b6c488256b7900180114?OpenDocument

If you cut and paste that into your browser it will take you to a page with a pic of a pnumatic chainsaw rated for a 36" bar it dosent list the weight but it does list it as a one man saw.

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...70395befee64d25188256b5f0015dec4?OpenDocument

That is the url for a page with a 115/230 volt electric chainsaw rated for a 36" bar pulling 9/16" pitch chain. I don't understand how the physics were so different in 1956.

That is the url for a page with a 115/230 volt electric chainsaw rated for a 36" bar pulling 9/16" pitch chain. I don't understand how the physics were so different in 1956.

Laws of physics were the same then as they are now as they will be 2 million years from now. Neither of your url's work so I can't see the setup in question. At any rate, not saying with some engineering and gearing you can't mill with an electric motor. Several companies have them for their mills. The handheld Ripsaw bandmill once sold an electric motor version for it's mill. (it was underpowered and slow and they discontinued it). IN GENERAL though if you do the math and apply ohms law you will find that it takes an awful lot of current (amps) to have enough power to mill logs into boards. For that same reason (among others) it becomes difficult to mill a wet "log" into lumber much over 8 inches on a woodworking bandsaw. Not only were they not designed for that, and thus wet sawdust quickly clogs your bandsaw wheels, tires and rub blocks, but unless you go 3 phase industrial, they often don't have enough power to do that. I have an outfeed table on my resaw and have "milled" 8 inch wet logs on my 220v 2 1/2hp resaw bandsaw with mixed results, but it was very slow going. I can resaw 12 inches of dry wood no problem, but 6-8 inches of wet log is a whole other ballgame.

Lots of variables to consider. They had all electric cars on the street beginning of the last century, but they didn't last long because of lack of power among other things. Point being just because somebody built an electric 36 inch mill in 1956 doesn't mean it worked well or with any speed.

Speaking of wet wood,they use these under water an they have tremendous power.:chainsaw:

Underwater sawing

Speaking of wet wood,they use these under water an they have tremendous power.:chainsaw:

Under water milling anyone?.....

hahahahahah

I also looked at Hyd saws great power but the pump motor burns as much or more fuel than a chainsaw. Its also pretty costly to setup...

Mark

Both of those pictures are from a large man-made lake in Brazil. It was flooded before the hardwood timber could be logged and after it was flooded the government realized that they needed the income from that timber. There's a number of articles on it, and the history is quite interesting.

i saw a tv programe on that and they were swimming/diving down cutting the trees at the base and the tree would just float up to the surface then they would tow it away woth a boat!

Yes ,it is being done in Lake Tucurui,Brazil.And even using these saws,it is still cheaper to do than regular harvesting of lumber.As the logs are floated to the mill instead skided after they rise to the surface.It is cool that they are saving this great lumber from below the water.They are also looking on doing it in lake superior,Mi. To recover old growth lumber there!

Last edited:
Back