Hinge Cut Advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like a pain in the ass. Just set out a timed feeder below your blind. They'll come walkin right up to it and you shoot em from 20 feet away, probably you'll be too drunk to shoot straight, hit em in the gut and let em run away to die slowly, but eventually you'll kill one clean. If that seems too difficult, there are plenty of canned hunt ranches here in Texas where you can just walk up to something you'd like to kill, put several bullets/arrows into it, your guide will finish it off for you and you'll get some meat you prolly won't eat, and a stuffed head of it looking wild and majestic. Pussies

Well thanks fer taking the time to clear that up, I feel we owe you something fer yer trouble.:msp_rolleyes:

OK, I read a couple articles on this. These guys are talking saplings for the most part. I wouldn't go more than 4-5 inches with what you are thinking about. 12"? Forget about it, you are looking at a hell of a barber chair.

I will suggest that you research what kind of trees will live through this, because all of them will not and some of them would be more dangerous than others.

Also understand that you are reading what someone wrote for you to read. Really look at your deer herd and ask yourself if they have any other routes around your wall. This was made seem way to easy when it came out in the deer hunting rags.

If you did something like that on my land, leased or not, I would take you to court.
Also understand you can't in my area fall trees in or close to creeks or streams.

Cheers,

I ain't gonna argue however the point about some trees will survive some won't is true.

Honestly that kinda thing really is used for hedging where the species involved will survive as I said before normally the sticks are split bent and held into place to form a stock proof barrier .....you have to leave sapwood for the stick to survive I've never seen it down with anything else than Hawthorn Blackthorn or Quickthorn and be successful but I guess there are others too

I think the comment by Huskstihl was said tongue in cheek somewhat more as a self crit than a hit out .......however the way they used saws in that vid does leave a lot to be desired

Yeah lots of things wrong in that vid not to mention a rock hammer being used to drive a (1" plastic wedge), I have looked and asked at the saw shops and they suggest cutting a 3x4" wedge into 3 smaller wedges. This might be what is needed to do the 4-8" trees.

All kidding aside, sour-woods do really well, and red maples, but you would be better off trying to find a row of standing dead trees and fall them in line to make a fence adjacent to a feeding or bedding area while allowing yourself a place to hunt in the funnel you create. Then get ready because the deer are still going to find another way around.

I will suggest that you research what kind of trees will live through this, because all of them will not and some of them would be more dangerous than others.

Also understand that you are reading what someone wrote for you to read. Really look at your deer herd and ask yourself if they have any other routes around your wall. This was made seem way to easy when it came out in the deer hunting rags.

If you did something like that on my land, leased or not, I would take you to court.
Also understand you can't in my area fall trees in or close to creeks or streams.

Cheers,

B, if you read the whole thread you'll see that I took the trouble to go online and read a couple aricles so I could answer the op's questions on this harebrained idea. I'm with husk on this, feed em, bait em, shoot em, and leave the poor trees alone.

I think the comment by Huskstihl was said tongue in cheek somewhat more as a self crit than a hit out .......however the way they used saws in that vid does leave a lot to be desired

Nope. Anybody who has seen a video of me cutting knows I'm a little bit "special," but I cut better than those guys.

BTW, I don't like the pussification of hunting, not hunting itself. It's supposed to be hard. You're supposed to practice, it's nice if u'r sober

Nope. Anybody who has seen a video of me cutting knows I'm a little bit "special," but I cut better than those guys.

BTW, I don't like the pussification of hunting, not hunting itself. It's supposed to be hard. You're supposed to practice, it's nice if u'r sober

Your cutting is fine ..........and yes those guys are a little on the dangerous side but eventually it'll catch up on them

first off..I have to say last weekend was my first bow deer at 37 years old. I am hunting my B.I.L.s woods..80 acres..if you do your research on the natural pattern of deer in the woods..you don't need to cut down healthy trees. do your scouting and put your stand or blind 20-30 yards off that trail or intersection of that trail and be patient. after all it is called hunting..not killing..if you have to kill something everytime you walk in the woods..sell the property and book a controlled hunt..I hear the monster bucks on a string don't move much

As said by a couple already, hedge laying technique will do it but never seen it done with big stuff, up to 4"or so is good and try to keep a width size strip of bark, it keeps in all but stampeding livestock but jumping deer normally have no trouble getting over it as it's 4'-5' tall. Can't imagine it being done with a big tree, if you cut it and got it going in the right direction, wouldn't it just break off when it hit the deck? Most common British natives found in a natural farm hedge seem to regrow well, (please excuse spelling, this is from memory) Sweet Chestnut - Castanea Sativa is the coppice king along with Hazel - Corylus Avellana, works brilliantly as does Blackthorn - Prunus Spinosa, Hawthorn - Cretageus Monogyna, I've seen oak used but don't know how it does, guess it would be ok. Sounds like a hell of a job though

I just cut an onstuse angled wedge in the trunk of a small tree. The wedge is cut out of the direction I want the top to lay down on. It's good for deer and other wildlife. I have seen trees cut this way heal sometimes and grow new growth. Its wierd as hell, but I have seen it. Mother Nature is determined.

What woodchuck357 said. Deep open face on the side and pull the tree - no back cut. Tree will usually branch from the now horizontal section. Clear a path along the trunk and the deer will follow it and browse on the new growth, lead them to your stand.

Don't know what the wildlife "feel" except I do know more branches on the ground level help provide, bedding, food and shelter from predatory critters. I always find critters around trees blown down in the bramble. Wonder why?

Don't know what the wildlife "feel" except I do know more branches on the ground level help provide, bedding, food and shelter from predatory critters. I always find critters around trees blown down in the bramble. Wonder why?
The :D:D:D meant I was joking

Dunno bout this. If you bait, its not really hunting is it? Not a hunter of animals, but I need to be. Always thought the point WAS the hunt! Guess if you need food tho, its by any means necessary.

Back