History of the Stihl 031 - Anyone know?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabby

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I see different looking Stihl 031's around. Some have a black hand gaurd while others have a whitish hand gaurd. Some have a white and orange handle while others have an all orange handle. I know the electronic 031's have an all orange handle so I assume they are the latest ones. Anyone know the details as to how tell the earliest to latest 031's???? Thanks! I have two with the orange and white handles which I like best as they do not have the stupid AV bushings up near the carb that always seem to be bad.

I have one with the old saw and end-grain logo, i think it is the oldest of my 9!!! Looks more red than orange

That brings up some good points. The earlier ones seem to have the "old saw and end-grain logo" on the pull starter housing as you mention where as the newer ones have "Stihl" in an orange rectangle on the pull starter housing. The earlier ones also have a more redish color to them and do not have the stainless steel name plate riveted on the top cover. They have "031" molded in the plastic. How long was the 031 made anyone know? Thanks.

Started making the 031 in 1971, and was made until the 80's, not sure when exactly they stopped. Very tough saw and very simple to work on. I have some with slanted bold letters and some with straight bold letters. Some came with a chain brake, some came with electronic ignition.

Around here it was the saw that the local rental shop would rent out, so you know it has to be tough with Joe weekend woodcutting warrior behind the log/stump/rocks.

not sure if the 031 made it to 1980, i have a full line brochure from 1981, not in there, the 032 is, and yes, it came out in 1971, a follow up to the 030, which was only made in 1970:cool2:

not sure if the 031 made it to 1980, i have a full line brochure from 1981, not in there, the 032 is, and yes, it came out in 1971, a follow up to the 030, which was only made in 1970:cool2:

I bought my 031 new in 1981. I think that they made them for a couple more years after that but I could be wrong.

downsized_1217111021.jpg

downsized_1217111023.jpg

downsized_1217111023a.jpg

I added the chain brake after I bought it and it handles the 20" b&c pretty good for a 48cc saw.

most parts interchange, I have some later model with a hand guard on the rear handle and a front hand guard. In 1979/80 my FIL purchased his 032 and had had a chain brake added as it was just a option, I think once the 032 took off it was the end of the 031 and it took a few years to deplete the stock. I like the 032 better than the 031 but both were good firewood saws.

I bought my 031 new in 1981. I think that they made them for a couple more years after that but I could be wrong.

downsized_1217111021.jpg

downsized_1217111023.jpg

I added the chain brake after I bought it and it handles the 20" b&c pretty good for a 48cc saw.

any chance yours was old stock?

downsized_1217111021.jpg

downsized_1217111023.jpg

Interesting that a saw that was bought that late is not an electronic ignition saw. Has the all orange handle though.

any chance yours was old stock?

My BIL and I each bought one from the same dealer at the same time. If I remember right the dealer had more of them in stock too. NOS? Maybe! I just had it all apart to clean it up and replace the plug wire and couldn't find any date codes or dates to find out when it was actually made.

I see different looking Stihl 031's around. Some have a black hand gaurd while others have a whitish hand gaurd. Some have a white and orange handle while others have an all orange handle. I know the electronic 031's have an all orange handle so I assume they are the latest ones. Anyone know the details as to how tell the earliest to latest 031's???? Thanks! I have two with the orange and white handles which I like best as they do not have the stupid AV bushings up near the carb that always seem to be bad.

The white/clear hand guard models are the oldest. Ditto for the ones that are "Stihl Red", though those models were mostly 030s. They tended to have the orange top/rear handle with the lower part in white. The lower part was actually part of the fuel tank housing, where on later models it was a separate part of the handle and there was a place to mount the handle to the fuel tank. An all orange handle didn't necessarily mean it was an electronic saw, and there were 032s made after the 031s that had points ignitions.

That brings up some good points. The earlier ones seem to have the "old saw and end-grain logo" on the pull starter housing as you mention where as the newer ones have "Stihl" in an orange rectangle on the pull starter housing. The earlier ones also have a more redish color to them and do not have the stainless steel name plate riveted on the top cover. They have "031" molded in the plastic. How long was the 031 made anyone know? Thanks.

The end grain logo is an older logo, but it is not a good way to judge the age of a saw as they can usually be swapped onto any saw line that had a starter cover that would accept that shape logo. I tend to install them on my saws whenever possible.

Latest posts

Back