Hit metal today-chain still usable?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

efiles123

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Today I hit some metal while freehand cutting some redwood logs with a 42” skip tooth Oregon chain on a husqvarna 592xp. Luckily I noticed it quick enough to minimize the damage. There’s a tooth here and there that got fairly hammered but the rest look hardly touched. I’ve already started working it with the file and giving the damaged teeth extra attention so I’m hoping to get things running at full potential. The first pic is a tooth that was one of the most damaged but I already spent time fixing and plan and spending time tomorrow to fine tune. The second pic is a tooth like that didn’t get damaged but I still ran the file through to sharpen. I’d say the majority look as good as this one. Could anyone please critique and give any advice to help get my chain to hopefully cut good as it did prior to hitting metal. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpeg
    IMG_0001.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0002.jpeg
    IMG_0002.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
How fast does a chain travel around a bar- even a 42 inch bar- compared to your reaction time?
The initial strike bears the most damage and if the metal is thin/small- you might minimise the contact- but your "undamaged" tooth is showing some damage and the next in line got it worse.

You could take it to a shop to have it ground back to viable- any damage to the top plates really has to be removed.

I've sharpened worse but it takes a while. You have to take the tooth back past all the damage on the top plate.
As posted above, the tooth you think is undamaged is damaged and needs sharpened too.
I use my dremel chainsaw sharpener for beat up chains, it's no better than a file but easier on my hands when I have a bunch of sharpening to do.

Looks like that chain needs 200 strokes or so with a file. Be sure to hit the depth guides, a progressive gauge is better.
Probably so.

I'd try taking a 5/32 or 3/16 file and shave away at the top plate a good bit. Then take a 7/32 or 1/4 file and try to reprofile from the gullet up. Still gonna be a lot of strokes by hand.

Might be cheaper to take it to a shop or file out the cutter completely.

Thanks for the responses! I’m aware the tooth I’m fixing has a ways to go but still better compared to what it was. I’ll try to post updates soon.

I just take the bad teeth down until they are sharp. Give the good teeth an extra file stoke or three with each sharpening and the cutters will even out after a while.

I see no need to butcher all the good cutters to match the length of a couple bad ones and shorten chain life
That’s what I’m thinking. Gonna try and see how it goes.

Probably so.

I'd try taking a 5/32 or 3/16 file and shave away at the top plate a good bit. Then take a 7/32 or 1/4 file and try to reprofile from the gullet up. Still gonna be a lot of strokes by hand.

Might be cheaper to take it to a shop or file out the cutter completely.

Del and HumBurner , to save a lot of round file strokes , I have used my raker file (round edge in the gullet) to file the hard chrome damaged top plate then use the proper round file to profile the gullet . It might take a few minutes but a lot less round filing and gullet over filing .
Scott

Here’s some pics of my progress. First and third pic were teeth that were severely injured. Middle pic was one that didn’t get injured so much. Gonna go try it out now.

Attachments

• IMG_0005.jpeg
    IMG_0005.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0004.jpeg
    IMG_0004.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0003.jpeg
    IMG_0003.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
I know there's alot of negative-nanny buckin billy attitude. However, he taught me his "boat" file stroke. Man-O-man!, that tidbit saved me a ton of time fixing rocked chains.Thanks Mr.Smith. Shoulda figured that out myself...

And I'm sure 90% of the haters couldn't touch him in the woods, so there's that.

OP, you can handle a file. I think madP was pointing out that you're getting too much hook. Keep the file up in the tooth. That "20% of the file above the tooth" is a correct reference...you are beyond that by quite a bit I think. Just run it like that and fix it all progressively over 2 or maybe 3 sharpenings. Touch up the chain after every tank.

I know there's alot of negative-nanny buckin billy attitude. However, he taught be his "boat" file stroke. Man-O-man!, that tidbit saved me a ton of time fixing rocked chains.Thanks Mr.Smith. Shoulda figured that out myself...

And I'm sure 90% of the haters couldn't touch him in the woods, so there's that.

OP, you can handle a file. I think madP was pointing out that you're getting too much hook. Keep the file up in the tooth. That "20% of the file above the tooth" is a correct reference...you are beyond that by quite a bit I think. Just run it like that and fix it all progressively over 2 or maybe 3 sharpenings. Touch up the chain after every tank.
Will do. Already ran the saw and did some touching up. Will run it more and inspect.

Latest posts

Back