Hit the jackpot today "wood score"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's awesome dude. I like the 5-7 inch diameter pieces that you get from the left over tops. Split them in half, get two nice pieces of firewood and you're done!

Nice score!!:clap: That would be the ultimate score for my OWB, no splittin at all! :msp_thumbup:

A guy 1 mile down the road from me is having 50 acers timbered. I stoped today to ask him if I could cut wood off of him only the tops that the logers left. He told me to cut all the wood I wanted. THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

As a thank you you might ask him if he could use a cord of firewood. He might have more harvests in the future and would remember your gratitude and give advance notice or exclusive access.

Find out his brand of beer and keep him supplied!

I agree!, especially if it were my timbered land :)

Also, and old timer once told me, and I found out first hand to be pretty true; that if timbered tree tops sit for a few months in the growing season and leaf out, or already had leaves on them, that the tree will start to season very rapidly from the leaves expiring moisture. Anyone know anything about that??

I told him I would be more than glad to cut him a load or 2. He said he would think about it. He is a lawyer & his wife is a Dr. Very nice people. The only problem about getting it fast is I am working 12 hour shifts at work 7a to 7p 5 days a week so I can only cut on the weekends. Going to try to go scout it out this weekend pics to come.

Been heating for three years with tops left by loggers. Worked out great for me because I'm not very experienced at felling trees and am about half scared to cut down anything very big and the landowner got his woods cleaned up. He thanks ME every time i see him for cleaning up the mess. He's an older guy so I stop in to visit every now and then and help him out with my loader if he needs something done. It's worked out well for both of us and I'll be cutting there for at least 2 more years.

Last edited:
Cool

A guy 1 mile down the road from me is having 50 acers timbered. I stoped today to ask him if I could cut wood off of him only the tops that the logers left. He told me to cut all the wood I wanted. THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

Wish i had some luck like that!

I believe that is exactly what happens

I agree!, especially if it were my timbered land :)

Also, and old timer once told me, and I found out first hand to be pretty true; that if timbered tree tops sit for a few months in the growing season and leaf out, or already had leaves on them, that the tree will start to season very rapidly from the leaves expiring moisture. Anyone know anything about that??

--what I have been doing for years is, if I have to cut in the summer when the trees are in full leaf and the tree is fulla sap, I just let them sit until the leaves are done and dried up, then I go finish cutting it up. They keep expirating water from the wood, and it certainly seems to be a lot dryer compared to just "cut it all up right then as soon as it is dropped" wood I have done.

When the leaves are withered away and the end branches snap easy, that thing is as dry as it will get before it is cut and split and stacked. I'll let some sit from the summer to way into the next winter as long as the branches are holding the bulk of the trunk and good stuff off the ground.

I did the same thing only it was my own land. Sold the timber, had the tops left for firewood. 15 acres select cut, enough money to pay for the OWB and a new saw, and ALL THE FIREWOOD I COULD POSSIBLY USE FOR 3-4 YEARS!!! I talked my brother into getting his 20 acres cut too. Too bad for him he doesn't have a wood stove...wait I know somebody who will cleanup for him, there's another 3-4 years worth of wood for me. All either at home or within 3 miles of home. Am I lucky or what??

Just ran into a good deal myself, guy had his place logged and said i could cut all i wanted. Checked it out and theres a lot of wood to be had.:hmm3grin2orange:

Back