hitches/devices to work off of

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramanujan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
what does everyone use? in different situations? pros and cons of different things you've tried?

I do most of my work off a french prussik tied with 5/16 yale marine rope.

Tried a distel and schwabisch for a few weeks each, felt that they were much safer than a FP but difficult to advance with a micropulley.

Spent a long time using a blake, a little while on a tautline, liked a blake best of the two, but also difficult to advance with a micropulley. Also neither are nearly as fast as a FP for quick leaps and swings.

For simple removals, pines for example, I like the Blake’s hitch. For trims or big removals with limb walking I like a mechanical or VT depending on the rope I am using. BlueStreak works great with a VT or Blake’s but for my static the metal hitch works smooth and no need for a pulley.

The Blake’s hitch is great for long descents. The VT is a good all around working hitch. The metal hitch is good for footlocking and limb walking. My 2¢

Tautline for almost 15 years, it was the only hitch I knew for most of that time. I modified it a year ago and reversed the two bottom loops making it an open Prusik.

About 3 months ago I decided I needed to find out what was so dang good about a split tail. After lots of opinions which didn't jive in my mind, I tried it out. The ONLY major advantage for me was being able to use advanced friction hitches. Almost worth all the money I've spent on biners, hitch rope, tender pulleys, etc. etc. etc. Tried a few different advanced hitches, settled on the Distal for now, tied with 8mm T-900. I'll never go back to a tautline or Blakes.

3/1 distel in 3 strand riding on braided tree lines. The 3/1 distel in 3 strand worx so well for me that i have mad adjustable lanyards with it for other guys; these adjust with one hand and no knot tender (1 way only, make 3/2 for 2 way, but then can't adjust one handed).

I've been playing with the VT for a few weeks again, like it with the 5/16 stable braid.

Lost a tender pully tieing off the other day so I got a swivel dog-snap and put that on the pulley. Now I have a delta link I put the biner and swivel snap to. easier to attach the hitch now and not much more slop in the system.

Latest posts

Back