VT, I done did it

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wait, how is this not a life support knot? You're hanging from the prussik and the other end of the climbing line, right? If that stopper comes undone, it slips through the pulley, the prussik comes undone, the downrope slides through pulley, and you essentially freefall down your rope. I'm thinking DRT here, which is where I use a VT.

If I'm missing something let me know....

My point there was that the lifeline termination knot is holding roughly half your body weight (being drt) whereas the stopper knot pictured is holding half that half and as you said needs to come undone, then unbraid, then unwrap and the tail of the lifeline is still passing through the pulley.

I couldn't tell where the second leg of the VT goes to.
Second leg is a dfl termination around the krab, within the sheves of the pulley. In the top photo on my first post it is in view.

To me, that stopper is putting a load on the pulley where a life support load is not at all designed (the becket and sideplates).

This makes alarmingly good sense. When you say it like that, the load rating on any device is for use as per instructions.

After hearing your well thought out points I will use a dfl termination instead of a stopper as pictured.

Thank you all for your input. You may well have saved my life.... :cheers:

Back