Hobby or dreaded task.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its like this, most people I know would'nt give up ther gas or elec heat if you gave them the OWB and sit 8 cord of wood beside it for free, after you told em all you gotta do is put that 20k lbs of wood in that thing over the next 5 mos and then get busy cutting anouther 8 cord cause yer gonna need it next year.I like mine but people are different and that don't make me rt and them wrong.

You've got to love it. There is so much satisfaction to be had from cutting,splitting,stacking your own wood. Being able to stand back and look at your woodpile and say I did that with my own hands. Maybe if more people worked with their hands and took more pride in their accomplishments this world would be in better shape.:jawdrop:

The heat bill is near zero, I get to play with the saws, and puzzle out dropping a tree or two here and there. That's plain old fun.

Splitting most days is a pleasant chore, others, it's work.

Stacking is a PITA, and drudgery.

I'll call it a hobby with an ugly side to it.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

The heat bill is near zero, I get to play with the saws, and puzzle out dropping a tree or two here and there. That's plain old fun.

Splitting most days is a pleasant chore, others, it's work.

Stacking is a PITA, and drudgery.

I'll call it a hobby with an ugly side to it.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote
Yeah, there is that dARN STACKIN THANG.
ME AND AVALANCHER JUST CAN'T GET IT

Hobby or dreaded task?

there are times when i ask myself the same question, but doing the wood thing is, in reality, great exercise outside. kinda keeps you in shape.

sure, it gets tiring and some times boring, but, when the nights are cold and you get that fire going, as you grab a piece of wood to throw in, you can almost remember which tree you cut down, the events for that day...good or bad, and you can now feel your labor via the warmth it gives, and all those times you complained about the hard work are forgotten.

Hobby or dreaded task?

there are times when i ask myself the same question, but doing the wood thing is, in reality, great exercise outside. kinda keeps you in shape.

sure, it gets tiring and some times boring, but, when the nights are cold and you get that fire going, as you grab a piece of wood to throw in, you can almost remember which tree you cut down, the events for that day...good or bad, and you can now feel your labor via the warmth it gives, and all those times you complained about the hard work are forgotten.

You couldn't be more right about the second part.:agree2:

I do my gathering in the winter and love it every step of the way. If I had to do it in the summer I would enjoy it much less.

Cutting, hauling, and splitting is certainly more productive exercise than walking on a treadmill--at least that is the way I look at it. :greenchainsaw:

My brother and I were talking one day, and we asked each other why we did this (cutting, hauling, splitting, etc...) and we both said the same thing at the same time....."We just enjoy the work". We suppliment our LP furnace with wood heat. That's been the key for me. I don't HAVE to do it, I do it because I want to. I like the warmth of wood heat, the money I save, and running my equipment to produce the wood. My significant other enjoys our "fireplace room" which stays around 78 degrees even in the dead of winter, and she helps with the whole process as well. I also enjoy being somewhat self sufficient in this "modern" age that we find ourselves living in. And finally, and I don't mean to be blunt or offend, I don't run across too many pussies running a big saw in the timber.....they're all at the mall.

My brother and I were talking one day, and we asked each other why we did this (cutting, hauling, splitting, etc...) and we both said the same thing at the same time....."We just enjoy the work". We suppliment our LP furnace with wood heat. That's been the key for me. I don't HAVE to do it, I do it because I want to. I like the warmth of wood heat, the money I save, and running my equipment to produce the wood. My significant other enjoys our "fireplace room" which stays around 78 degrees even in the dead of winter, and she helps with the whole process as well. I also enjoy being somewhat self sufficient in this "modern" age that we find ourselves living in. And finally, and I don't mean to be blunt or offend, I don't run across too many pussies running a big saw in the timber.....they're all at the mall.

You just got to learn to speak up.....say what you mean boy. :givebeer::cheers::agree2::hmm3grin2orange:

when i was younger living with g-pa i hated going out splitting and stacking wood but now i don't even have a wood burner yet but i still cut and split all of g-pas wood, just because. it's not something you do if you hate it. besides now i have built a 35-40 ton splitter and have 5 huskies (a lot better than splitting by hand). just gotta love it:greenchainsaw:

I do my gathering in the winter and love it every step of the way. If I had to do it in the summer I would enjoy it much less.

Me too. I like being able to start shedding layers of clothes when out in the woods. In the summer you have to fend off the bugs and sweat like no tomorrow. It's hard for me to get motivated in the summer to do wood chores although I know if I find the right score I would have to.

Kyle

I'm really kind of lazy when it comes to yardwork, cleaning the garage, and working on the house, but I really enjoy the work of wood chores. I think it's because I can go out and do it and I don't think about anything else. It gives my mind a break from itself. I love not paying the utility company for something I can provide myself and you can't beat wood heat. I work for a petroleum company so I meet lots of farmers that let me cut trees on their land. They always smile when they ask "Why don't you burn propane or fuel oil?":biggrinbounce2:

I just got done cutting a ton of ash off of our propane driver's land that was going to be taken out by an excavator.:chainsaw:

I don't enjoy stacking and moving as much, probably because it is at the house.

I wouldn't have it any other way.

Playing with saws. Exercise. Getting to be outdoors. Making a season long campfire. It's all win for me :clap::clap:

I'll admit, when I was a young urchin that didn't have to pay the bills, cutting wood was tedious, but no more so than any of the other chores around the farm.

As life went on, and I got jobs, cutting got to be a lot higher up the list of things I enjoyed. A bad day in the woods is still a day spent outside enjoying God's work. Some will think me nuts, but there are few places in the world prettier than a stand of Wisconsin hardwoods on a cold winter day with a fresh coat of snow on the ground.

Cutting is of course the favorite, and the meaner the wood gets, the more fun splitting is. If the splitter doesn't groan a little, it's no challenge. I don't particularly care for stacking, but a nice neat stack is appreciated a lot more once it's done. Hauling wood down to my basement is a pain (usually literally), but it's needed excersise, and is greatly appreciated when its -30 and I don't have to go outside for wood.

***The only difference between men and boys is the size of their toys!!!***

Some will think me nuts, but there are few places in the world prettier than a stand of Wisconsin hardwoods on a cold winter day with a fresh coat of snow on the ground.
Amen, brother...also the fall, summer & spring aren't too bad, either.

Love to get to the FIL's farm (S. of Prairie du Chien) & help him put up firewood for the following year - especially after the snow flies.

A Deutz with a loader doesn't hurt to move frozen logs around either. :)

Last edited:
I love being outdoors, playing with saws, getting some much needed exercise. I would gladly cut and split all day brings me back to memories of time spent with dad before he passed.
I always have a still do HATE STACKING, if it was up to me Id throw it all in a big messy pile and tarp it, but the wife will never let that happen, and slowly I would lose my justification for more 2 cycle toys.

I just love the smell of the wood stove, seeing the smile on my wife's face when it is 77 degrees inside & 10 below outside, cutting & splitting wood with my sons, buying more toys that actually have a chance of saving some money and the thrill of placing a 100' tree exactly where I intended for it to land! SWEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!

Back