Home built log splitter number 2

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A.E. Metal Werx

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
some of you may know from my other post that the splitter i built last year got stolen last week. well i have started another one. heres some pics so far.

thanks for the compliments guys. it doesnt help that i mig weld 40+ hours a week. but i will be having more fun with this splitter. arc welded the two 6x10x3/8" tubes togeather. 21 rods and 4 passes on each seam later it was done. its taking some time scabing pieces togeather but its geting done.

Nice welding. Wish I could weld that good.

Glad to see you are building a new splitter and not sulking about losing your last one. Sux that some AHole got away with your hard work.

Keep us updated with pics.

thanks for the compliments guys. it doesnt help that i mig weld 40+ hours a week. but i will be having more fun with this splitter. arc welded the two 6x10x3/8" tubes togeather. 21 rods and 4 passes on each seam later it was done. its taking some time scabing pieces togeather but its geting done.

excellent welds, why scab pieces together are they free/cheap. just asking cause I want to build my own next summer.

excellent welds, why scab pieces together are they free/cheap. just asking cause I want to build my own next summer.

%95 of the steel is-will be from the scrap yard. i cant afford to go the the scrap yeard every day so if i see something that will work i grap it. my scrap yard cuts everything in 5 foot sections or less so geting there befor stuff gets cut apart is rare.

lookin good

man you can weld make sure that thing solid and heavy. i think the product i linked in your other post might be able to be made as part of the new splitter design. hope it goes well. another idea is to make the splitter support stand that is lockable into the ball hitch system:)

:givebeer:

Nice looking welds man! I hear ya on the rods, it's pretty wild how fast they go when you're doing a long pass or large gap! Looks great though... Still sucks about your old splitter, don't worry, what goes around comes around, the dudes take took it will get theirs in the end...

M.

21 rods and 4 passes on each seam later it was done. its taking some time scabing pieces togeather but its geting done.

When I first looked at the pics, I thought you were doing a wire feed. Fantastic job with the welds. Not many I'd trust overhead but I'd trust your welds any day.

They took my first splitter also. Two years later I saw it on an auction bill. Never did get it back. Make sure you weld part of your SS number on the new one where they can't see it.

i donno how i feel about puting my SSS on anything. if someone knows me and knows it on the splitter.. who knows what could happen. i am thinking i will put my name and the date on it. tonight i worked on the H-beam. welded on my C-channal to the H-beam and also beveled my 1" plates for the back stop. one 16" tall and one 8". i will be welding them togeather, my last splitter bent my 1.25" plate. some may wonder why im using a arc and mig welder. well my mig is only 180 amps full tilt while my arc is 200 and i dont have to max that out to get very good penetration. i hope to take some pictures tomorrow of the progress.

Nice puddles, penetration looks good too, grinding the edges like you did shows you understand what you are doing-finding someone who makes quality and pretty welds is not easy to find.
My FIL was a welder who became a welding inspector for the state, where welds were X-rayed for analysis. He told me several times they would have guys come in to their shop over the years who make make the most perfect looking welds. Then he would break them with a sledge hammer and tell the guy sorry you need to learn how to weld. good isnt always pretty and vice versa, for commercial welds both are required.
I hope you get your splitter back. No matter what anyone says you have the right to confront someone stealing from you, if they heighten the plain theft to robbery by threatening you, you have the right to defend yourself only to the degree needed. Nowhere in the constitution does it say you dont have the right to defend yourself or your property. Use good judgement, dont shoot anyone in the back who is running away, but don't be afraid to keep what is yours if it comes down to it. This common sense approach is the basis for our laws still today. Anyone can sue you for anything, doesnt mean they are right or gonna win either. Juries frown on criminals suing victims, despite what liberals say today.

Nice puddles, penetration looks good too, grinding the edges like you did shows you understand what you are doing-finding someone who makes quality and pretty welds is not easy to find.
My FIL was a welder who became a welding inspector for the state, where welds were X-rayed for analysis. He told me several times they would have guys come in to their shop over the years who make make the most perfect looking welds. Then he would break them with a sledge hammer and tell the guy sorry you need to learn how to weld. good isnt always pretty and vice versa, for commercial welds both are required.
\.

i agree will everything you said, i have i may be young but have spent lots and lots of time geting my AWS Certification. i have seen many, way to many people have very nice welds and then when to get them back from the bend test they see that there hole weld was crached and split. i personally have more fun arc welding then i do mig welding. i would say its been a while sence i played with the arc, ever sence i got my tig/arc ive just been using the tig for just about everything. Feels good to get back to the basics!

looks good. Welder to welder those are excellent looking. I do mostly tig with a little mig and spool gun thrown in.

some quick update pictures.

mx_racer428

mx_racer428

mx_racer428

Latest posts

Back