Home built log splitter number 2

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How thick are the plates on the end of your beam? Looks like you may run into trouble with those. I bent the he!! out of mine. It is 1-1/4" A36 steel, bent it with a 4" cylinder running about 2600 psi. You may want to beef that up a little.

With your fab skills, why not come up with a design that sends a shaft into the spokes of the rims when the ram is back. Something like what is on some chip boxes to lock the compartments? Would make it alot harder to wheel off. Pete

How thick are the plates on the end of your beam? Looks like you may run into trouble with those. I bent the he!! out of mine. It is 1-1/4" A36 steel, bent it with a 4" cylinder running about 2600 psi. You may want to beef that up a little.

Yes put about three 3/4" by 1.5" flats on edge behind the plate to reinforce it.
Ken

the end plate is 2" thick. not going to bend. on my last splitter my 1.25" back blate bent just a little and nothing more.

update. it rolles now but long way to go. been jumping around a lot, worked on the wedge some and the log shelf and got the spindles and tires on and also the tung.

mx_racer428

Thanks to black friday i picked up my engine, half couplings, Alum punp mount, and a few odds and ends. Got the engine mount built today and started working on the wedge. The other day i also got the H-Beam mounted up and welded to the pivit point.

mx_racer428

mx_racer428

mx_racer428

mx_racer428

mx_racer428

mx_racer428

mx_racer428

mx_racer428

Nice work!

When I clicked on this thread I was crossing my fingers hoping you were going to start building and selling them! :bowdown: I'm halfway in the market for one, real recently. I've been making a go at it with the 6lb maul so far, but some of this green ash just bounces the maul off of it how many times. The folks priced some in town today, just for the heck of it. A neighbor of mine had mentioned once that their used to be kits available, so you could supply your own components. I'm thinking that isn't the case anymore. But all I can say is either way i'm looking forward to see yours up and running.

Nice work!

When I clicked on this thread I was crossing my fingers hoping you were going to start building and selling them! :bowdown: I'm halfway in the market for one, real recently. I've been making a go at it with the 6lb maul so far, but some of this green ash just bounces the maul off of it how many times. The folks priced some in town today, just for the heck of it. A neighbor of mine had mentioned once that their used to be kits available, so you could supply your own components. I'm thinking that isn't the case anymore. But all I can say is either way i'm looking forward to see yours up and running.

Thanks promac. I also have been trying to split some wood with the maul this last week. The weeknd i got my splitter stolen i got my self on very large load of Red elm Rounds, only to come home and find out my splitter is gone.. I give all the guys out there that split all there wood by hand props!

I don't understand some people, they don't have enough pride in anything to want to earn it. Everything is replaceable to them, or else they think they deserve it more than the next person. There is no excuse for stealing. Damn carpet-baggers........i'm sick of it......:censored:

excellent workmanship

Thank God for holidays so you can catch up. As a toolmaker of 40yrs. I have been watching all your pictures. Everything is square and perpendictular and great design. Excellent workmanship. Wished I could weld that good. (Perfect). Hope you get your other one back. :clap:

great welding.

i mostly Mig these days but i still like to Arc.it's what i learned on but that was DC and my ARC machine is AC only.it was a gift from the guy that trained me but i absolutely hate welding AC.it sits and collects dust.i used my Mig for almost everything now.

Looking REAL nice! One question though, the placement of your engine (nice briggs btw, and not some chinese JUNK) will it be protected if a log rolls off or something...? I'm digging this thread, how much do you have in it right now, $ wise and with your time, my dad and I are still getting all of our parts together, slowly... Just picked up our valve with 3/4 work ports last week... :/

Max

Looking REAL nice! One question though, the placement of your engine (nice briggs btw, and not some chinese JUNK) will it be protected if a log rolls off or something...? I'm digging this thread, how much do you have in it right now, $ wise and with your time, my dad and I are still getting all of our parts together, slowly... Just picked up our valve with 3/4 work ports last week... :/

Max

i do understand why a guy would worry about where the engine sits. The last one i built i had the engine back about 3" further and had no problems. i have never had a piece of wood drop on the front side of the axle, one thing to consider is right now there is no log rack on it. that is built and just needs to be bolted on. also %95 of the wood i split i rool it right out of my truck on to my splitter and the engine is on the truck side, the tail gate kinda covers it. as for $$ invested most all of my steel is from the crap yard and from where i work. so lets say about $200.00 in steel and i would guess a little over a grand so far for parts. thats not counting a ram and hoses and oil and all the ods and ends.

Very nice work. I like your log cradle design . They must really get rid of a lot of scrap steel were you work. What size pump and cylinder are you planning on using. How heavy is it to tip to the vertical position.

Looks good:clap:

Beefie

Latest posts

Back