Home built log splitter number 2

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
now that was funny! we are sposed to get about 1-3" tonight and then tuesday-wed we are told to get over 6" i hope we get a few feet. i should have the wood split by then and then comes snowmobiling time! on a side note. the engine took half of a lazy pull to start it the first time! i have never had an engine run so smooth and consistant!

attachment.php

That looks better than factory! Here's what one looks like when you try to use too much that's just lying around. Back of rear engine Snapper mower. Old 48 Chevy closed drive shaft rearend. Self taught welder. The thing splits like it came from the store, maybe better plus I love the elect start.

SOOO... What is the run down on all the goodies? Engine, pump, cylinder, tank, etc. Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks.

i kinda like that splitter. clever i will say. as for specks.. nothing special. 10hp briggs, 16gmp pump, and 4" ram. i do plan to turn up the valve from 2250 to 2500psi. tank has 9 gallons of oil in it right now. it should hold about 11.

Wow, a dude that can design, fab, weld, AND paint! Need a job?

Seriously, awesome job on that thing, and hopefully it's older brother will find it's way home someday.

Very nice setup you got there! I plan on getting around to getting a splitter built yet this year, and I've gotten a lot of good ideas on here. Hope mine turns out as nice as yours, but that's setting the bar pretty high! Nice Job!

Nice job for sure, looks as good as my store bought (Northern) Only problem I've had with mine was the wood especially gnarly twisted elm would grab hold of the wedge while splitting and not completely split and seize up on the wedge, while retracting the ram the wood would try and destroy my detent valve/hoses, had to weld a pusher offer/extractor device to the end of the ram....

Boy that sue turned out nice. Way better than a factory splitter. Did you weld any serial #'s or some type of identification marks on it just in case. I think you need a custom sticker made. I had some stickers made for my trailer. One of them might work for your splitter with a little word changing.

I am having a brain fart can't remember how to show the picture.

Nice work:clap::clap:

Beefie

Nice looking rig! You're gonna have to build a few of them for sale soon. That looks better than most store bought ones.
Someone is sure to ask where the cup holder is though.:laugh:

I got a dollar says that sled in the garage is out running today and not the splitter! GREAT job on the splitter, very clean work!

OK, we gotta hear how that new splitter is working for you! Hopefully you've had it out working and got some of that new paint rubbed off it by now.

i only got a chance to split the one load i had sitting to be split from the last splitter. it did very good. i did feel the i was rushing my self trying to keep up with the ram. plenty fast for me. it split all my red elm with no problems. and as for the paint being chiped off.. plenty of that happend. not all the happy about that but its a splitter right? All and all i am very happy with it and cant wait to have fun using it insted of rushing befor the snow comes! now she sits locked up with a cover on it!

I really like your wedge design and was thinking about using something similar when I finally get around to building my new splitter. Are you happy with how that works on your splitter? I also saw it on a Timberwolf splitter I believe, and I think they use it as a stop of sorts for mounting a 4-way wedge, do you use a 4-way on yours?

Great news! Im glad to hear it works well,and is fast...now get lo-jack or ON- star for that thing!:greenchainsaw:

Great job

Looks supper. Hope you get the other one back also. Now on to useing that snowmobile we saw in the picture.:clap:

Back