Home made Bar Rail Closer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobL

No longer addicted to AS
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
You should be able to work it out from the pics.
BRC1.jpg

BRC2.jpg

BRC3.jpg

BRC4.jpg
One difference between this one and others I have seen are that this one includes a stop (marked 1 and A in the above pics) that rides inside and on the bottom of the bar groove. If the groove is closed down too far you can feel significant resistance from this stop so thats where you stop closing.

It works great and scrunched an 0.050" bar groove that had opened up as much as 0.008" back to where it should be in very short order.

The bearings are nothing special. I bought 6 of them from Hong Kong on ebay for $1 each a few years ago and they have sat in the bottom of of a box since then. They are 25mm ID so I turned up bushes with a 1mm lip to hold them up off the base and accommodate the 10 mm bolts.

I don't have the ability to turn bushings but don't see why I couldn't use an appropriate shoulder bolt and bearing. For your adjustable bearing, the hole must be slotted which could be done with die grinder of file(no mill)

I don't have the ability to turn bushings but don't see why I couldn't use an appropriate shoulder bolt and bearing.
Yep.
For your adjustable bearing, the hole must be slotted which could be done with die grinder of file(no mill)
Correct, only a small slot is needed. Mine has to be able to cope with a range of bar thicknesses but 0.1" should be more than enough.

Bobbbbb! I could have used one of these a couple of months ago when I had to go out and buy 2 new bars since mine had opened up too far.

I bet after you saw my posting on this very problem your light bulb went off on how to fix it!

(http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/another-beach-milling-mis-adventure.255171 post 15)

Great work as usual. Good thing I did not toss my worn bars out. I may cobble something similar up and see what I can do close them up.

Bobbbbb! I could have used one of these a couple of months ago when I had to go out and buy 2 new bars since mine had opened up too far.
I bet after you saw my posting on this very problem your light bulb went off on how to fix it!
(http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/another-beach-milling-mis-adventure.255171 post 15)
Great work as usual. Good thing I did not toss my worn bars out. I may cobble something similar up and see what I can do close them up.

Thanks Dan. I saw your post but I had this project in mind for a couple of years but haven't had the need until recently.

I just realised I didn't post picts of the finished and prettied up version.
I have since used it on two of my .063" grooved milling bars. The groove on one side of one bar was out to 0.068" - I don't know how it got that bad.
Here you can more daily see the replaceable screw with the end ground to suit the size of the groove.
Finished1.jpg
Finished2.jpg

You should be able to work it out from the pics.
View attachment 356790

View attachment 356791

View attachment 356792

View attachment 356793
One difference between this one and others I have seen are that this one includes a stop (marked 1 and A in the above pics) that rides inside and on the bottom of the bar groove. If the groove is closed down too far you can feel significant resistance from this stop so thats where you stop closing.

It works great and scrunched an 0.050" bar groove that had opened up as much as 0.008" back to where it should be in very short order.

Morning Bob,
I like your bar rail closer design, I must build one for myself.
jerry-

Back