Homelite 360 Will Not Start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fourapples

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have recently replaced the intake boot on this old Homelite 360 saw. It would not start after reassembled. Set carb to initial settings. Checked spark like manual indicates and get a good spark from high tension transformer using jumpers off the saw. Keeps flooding the plug when I try several times to start. Wish there was a way to check for spark when transformer and plug are in place. It seems like it is getting no spark and will not fire. Plug is wet when I remove it. I have maintained this saw for years and it has been very reliable and I don't want to buy a new one. I have heated with wood for 24 years (home and shop) and it has been a good saw.
Has anyone had similar problems?

Did you rebuild the carb also, or just change the intake boot? One thing to consider if the plug's wet is maybe its flooding. Try removing the plug and pull a few times to empty any excess gas, then try again. If you rebuilt the carb as well, that's definitely the place to start looking. Once I had a 360 problem that turned out to be the contacts on the transformer were not touching the plate that it screws onto. All this needed was to bend the tabs up a bit on the transformer to make good contact, could be something along these lines also.

Dan

Check the contacts on the transformer, also check to make the contact spring inside the transformer is still in there, had one fall out during a reassemble and it drove me nuts. Good luck

Thanks for the tips, I will try bending the tabs. They appear to be full hard stainless and do not want to bend easily. Also I will stretch the spring that contact the tip of plug. I am not sure the significance of the spring that contacts the plug tip, seems plug tip is to contact the spring but spring will come out with no wires or conductor attached to transformer. I put spring back in and during the bench test it does spark. Transformer must have strong ability to send a spark to tip. Is there supposed to be continuity from spring to transformer housing?

Also I will try drying out the cylinder. I did not rebuild the carb.
Still would like to see some fire come from plug. Can't I put a shot of ether in carb throat to see if it will fire? I have tried this with no luck.

What happened did you get it running, I am going through the same problem. but I have not replaced the intake boot yet.

What happened did you get it running, I am going through the same problem. but I have not replaced the intake boot yet.

Does the saw have compression, have you tested for spark, and is the spark plug wet?

I got this saw from my uncle, a year ago, he had it for several season and then got tired of heating his home with wood and stopped using his saw. It sat with gas in it for several year then he gave it to me, and you know the curiosity got the better of me and I tried to start it and it fire up and ran with the for a short while, started spudering and omiting quiet a bit of smoke then I turned it off. and was exited it ran then I said well I'm going to go cut some wood with it now. so I figued I'd put in some new fuel, and that would clean up the smoke, Now won't start, put in new plug, didn't work, tore apart carb, made sure all hoeses were clean, still wouldn't start, tore carb apart agian, looked at the intake boot was soft like chewing gum. left that there still won't start. Now do I get a new boot, and would that fix my problem, or do I junk it and get a Stihl.

I got this saw from my uncle, a year ago, he had it for several season and then got tired of heating his home with wood and stopped using his saw. It sat with gas in it for several year then he gave it to me, and you know the curiosity got the better of me and I tried to start it and it fire up and ran with the for a short while, started spudering and omiting quiet a bit of smoke then I turned it off. and was exited it ran then I said well I'm going to go cut some wood with it now. so I figued I'd put in some new fuel, and that would clean up the smoke, Now won't start, put in new plug, didn't work, tore apart carb, made sure all hoeses were clean, still wouldn't start, tore carb apart agian, looked at the intake boot was soft like chewing gum. left that there still won't start. Now do I get a new boot, and would that fix my problem, or do I junk it and get a Stihl.

I have finally retired the Homelite 360. Rebuilt one to many times. It was a good saw. Doubt if my new Stihl Ms310 will last as long (25 years) but so far I have been happy with it. Adjusted oil flow to max. It will cut a nice size load on one tank of gas.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back