Homelite C series

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rarefish383

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I saw a saw sitting and at first glance I thought it was another 1050, then as I got closer it was a C71 or C72. It looked very similar. If I can get it cheap should I grab it or just let it go and concentrate on my 1050's and XL700? I looked on Mike Acres site at the whole series and they are of the style of big saw that I like. I'm just not familiar with them. What do you guys think? Joe.

There a good torquey old saw but
small than the 1050 cc wise. They
do look very similar and share a few
parts. They don't demand the same
value but if you can get it reasonable
i wouldn't hesitate.

Lee

Better check it out, the C types were good chainsaws. Homelite put together some odd starters, one of the weak points. Over-running clutch bearing...LOL

I saw a saw sitting and at first glance I thought it was another 1050, then as I got closer it was a C71 or C72. It looked very similar. If I can get it cheap should I grab it or just let it go and concentrate on my 1050's and XL700? I looked on Mike Acres site at the whole series and they are of the style of big saw that I like. I'm just not familiar with them. What do you guys think? Joe.

C-5 thru C-9's are solid saws. They have older style points ignitions and carbs but can be setup (tuned up) to be really easy starting saws. I think part because of the heavy fly wheel/crank (longer stroke than newer saw means larger crank halves) and part because the low rpm characteristics of the ignition just simply make it easy to get them started. (I also suspect the longer stroke means there probably is more volume change in the crankcase than a short stroke saw helping make a strong pressure pulse for the carb diaphragm at start RPM's) I happen to like running my C-7 and It happens to have the internal clutch (external ring sprocket) making cleaning and changing bars easy. They are an over designed saw that if in reasonable condition will out last you...they cut well with a .404 chain. I have blended Stihl bars to mine. If its cheap grab it and run it saving your more desirable collector saws.... The bigger XP1020 & 1050 don't have much more RPM's & therefore chain speed so for wood under 20 inches aren't that much faster. My C-7 wears a 20inch Stihl bar w/ .404 chain where my XP1020 has a 32 inch roller tip bar & .404 chain. They get used from time to time..hard when my favorit Homie's, the XL-925's & 903's are in the truck. But if you like the C-style & XP Style saws, a C-7 is a great addition. More useful for most things than the harder to start & more violent XP1020-1050's. (Just harder to pull over!)

I guess another way to look at C-7's, is they are actually a practical saw to use even now. They are easy to start, cut reasonably well, easy to work on, and are easy to clean & maintain day to day. Where as many of the older saws have collector status, the C-7's really don't, but in fact are as or more useful than the bigger saws of that style...so what will happen s the bigger ones get the decals and paint jobs while the C-7 will ...work and make short ones out of long ones, all day long. Year in year out. Down side? Weight & chain speed.

Starter issues? Mine has a blue C-5 arraignment. It works every time. The thing is with those C-Series there is a lot of mix and blend possibilities with other C-sereis saws. Makes that series more fun than some because they are frankensaw capable and cheap to find parts saws. They are a good choice of series to collect & mess around with for a guy who likes the tinkering as much as the cutting.

Last edited:
C9

Here's My C9,might restore it some day.
Lawrence
Remington754-HomeliteandPM270017.jpg

Remington754-HomeliteandPM270016.jpg

Remington754-HomeliteandPM270019.jpg

Stihl 20-25inch sprocket tip bars and Stihl .404 chain really improves their performance. I take nuts and drill the centers to slip fit over the bar studs & then file the flats to slip fit the large Stihl mount bars. Works really well and brings the performance into the really capable and usefull range.

C-series are nice. Very simple to work on, and a bunch of parts scattered around since Homelite made so many of these things. Only experience here has been on a few C-91s. Not too fast, but plenty of grunt. Don't really want a C-5/51/52, but wouldn't mind a C-71/72. Never been crazy about the flat looking filter cover on the C-5/7/9, just a personal thing.

Dan

I take nuts and drill the centers to slip fit over the bar studs & then file the flats to slip fit the large Stihl mount bars.
So...you're making a round bushing out of a nut ? If not, do you have a pic you could put up ?
Sorry for the bother.

I have a C-51 and have heard that you can modify a large husky mount to work as well.

For those that have used stihl bars, are you using the medium mount or the large mount bars?

So...you're making a round bushing out of a nut ? If not, do you have a pic you could put up ?
Sorry for the bother.

Not round...just file the two "flats" (opposite sides) down to a slip fit inside the bar slot. And the hole is drilled to slip fit over the bar studs. Not too awfully difficult. About 15 minutes with a drill, grinder, and flat file to finish.

Here is my C5. Needs TLC. Compressions good enough to run, has either fuel delivery or vacuum leak issues. Makes you ears ring.

attachment.php

attachment.php

C-5 thru C-9's are solid saws. They have older style points ignitions and carbs but can be setup (tuned up) to be really easy starting saws. I think part because of the heavy fly wheel/crank (longer stroke than newer saw means larger crank halves) and part because the low rpm characteristics of the ignition just simply make it easy to get them started. (I also suspect the longer stroke means there probably is more volume change in the crankcase than a short stroke saw helping make a strong pressure pulse for the carb diaphragm at start RPM's) I happen to like running my C-7 and It happens to have the internal clutch (external ring sprocket) making cleaning and changing bars easy. They are an over designed saw that if in reasonable condition will out last you...they cut well with a .404 chain. I have blended Stihl bars to mine. If its cheap grab it and run it saving your more desirable collector saws.... The bigger XP1020 & 1050 don't have much more RPM's & therefore chain speed so for wood under 20 inches aren't that much faster. My C-7 wears a 20inch Stihl bar w/ .404 chain where my XP1020 has a 32 inch roller tip bar & .404 chain. They get used from time to time..hard when my favorit Homie's, the XL-925's & 903's are in the truck. But if you like the C-style & XP Style saws, a C-7 is a great addition. More useful for most things than the harder to start & more violent XP1020-1050's. (Just harder to pull over!)

I guess another way to look at C-7's, is they are actually a practical saw to use even now. They are easy to start, cut reasonably well, easy to work on, and are easy to clean & maintain day to day. Where as many of the older saws have collector status, the C-7's really don't, but in fact are as or more useful than the bigger saws of that style...so what will happen s the bigger ones get the decals and paint jobs while the C-7 will ...work and make short ones out of long ones, all day long. Year in year out. Down side? Weight & chain speed.

Starter issues? Mine has a blue C-5 arraignment. It works every time. The thing is with those C-Series there is a lot of mix and blend possibilities with other C-sereis saws. Makes that series more fun than some because they are frankensaw capable and cheap to find parts saws. They are a good choice of series to collect & mess around with for a guy who likes the tinkering as much as the cutting.

the old C series was a bit before my time. my dad ran them way back there. he seemed to like them.

Do you have any dirty saws LOL!They all seem so well taken care of.Nice saw's by the way
Lawrence

Thanks Lawrence,

I do have some dirty ones like old parts saws My work saws get
dirty but get blown of with compressed air every other day or so.

Thanks Lawrence,

I do have some dirty ones like old parts saws My work saws get
dirty but get blown of with compressed air every other day or so.

very nice Mr. Bow Saw fine examples of the c class saws. first one i remember was about 4 years ago. a buddy had a nice c-5 that was his fil's. but when his wife would get mad at him the fil would come get the saw. it was near christmas and he needed a saw so i carried my extra 288 out there and let him use it. he had asked me to start lookin for him a saw so i thought i would give him the 288 for christmas. i seen him the next week and asked how he liked the 288. he said it was nice but wasn't a c-5. i came home that nite and got on the bay and found some. bought a fine c-52 for him that looked almost new and he got it a few days before christmas. thought he was goin to cry on me. i think i was as happy as he was. a few weeks later i got 1 for myself and now own several. i now have 3 c-5's and a c-7 parts saw. good saws in my opinion lots of brute force and sometimes that is better than speed.
jnl :blob2:

Latest posts

Back