Homelite gas cap leak?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starsailor

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I recently finished rebuilding my an Homelite XL-850. After using for a few hours it started to pee gas out from under the edge of the gas cap when cutting sideways, like when felling. I have an IPL for the saw but the gas cap is only listed as one part. It's the older style star cap, pic below. I can see a very tiny hole in one wing of underside of the star where the fuel is leaking from. The center of the underside of the cap has a metal tube molded into the black compound the cap is made out of. I poked into this tube with a wire and got out a little bit of black goo, not a lot just a little bit. I'm wondering if there is supposed to be some kind of valve on or in this metal tube on the underside of the cap. The black goo I fished out looked similar to a decayed fuel line, but I'm not sure.

Does anyone know if there is a valve in this cap? Part no.? Even a pic of the underside of a working non-leaking cap would be a great help.

Thanks!

The black goo you got out is the duck bill valve check valve to vent the tank the old ones were neoprene and the new gas turns them into mushy sticky goo

post a few pics so I can see which type you have so you can get it apart to change the duck bill

That inside piece comes out but I can't remeber how exactly. I am pretty sure I have those large duckbills in the newer compound they are either gray or red orange

Part needed?

Pest, you say you have the needed part? Where does this duck bill valve go? Does it if in or over the metal tube? I've never seen a good or a pic of one either.

The tube either screws in or is pressed in to the cap.....the valve fits inside

I'll look tomorrow and see if I have one like it to make sure

I know this is an old thread but I just started having problems with a Homelite 150 that is pissing gas out of the cap. A small hole that looks like a vent in the side of the cap. The saw has never done this in years of use. Not sure what to make of this. Any insight would be appreciated.

I know this is an old thread but I just started having problems with a Homelite 150 that is pissing gas out of the cap. A small hole that looks like a vent in the side of the cap. The saw has never done this in years of use. Not sure what to make of this. Any insight would be appreciated.

Sounds like the same problem I had with my XL. Look at the underside of the cap and see if there's some sort of molded in tube about 1/8" dia. Mine had one and inside that is the "duckbill" oneway valve mentioned earlier in the thread. I fished out my old one that I guess couldn't handle the new fuel and replaced it with one I got off Ebay. All is good now.

this is a 6 sided cap and I can't see a tube on the underside. There is a vent hole that is molded into the cap that has a 90 degree turn which opens out the side of the cap.

Latest posts

Back