Homelite Help / / Super XL Auto

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taddat

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
A friend of the family knows I spend way too much time the the garage playing with saws and asked me to look at her dad's saw for her. She said her dad got it from his dad and it was the only thing his dad ever gave him. (As she was telling me this, I thought if I only got one thing from Pops, I would be all right with one of his saws):). She said the did not run right and she wanted to get it fixed for him for Christmas.

I was hoping a carb kit with a little fresh gas and all would be good - not so.

I put fresh gas in and it started but did not sound right. I pulled the muffler and the piston / cylinder look to be junk. I have rebuilt a few Stihl's but never a homelite. I started pulling the saw apart but I am stuck at getting one nut off the cylinder (see photo). Is there a trick to getting to this nut (no room for a wrench) or does the rest of the case have to come apart?

Also - I checked chainsawr.com for a cylinder and they are sold out and I don't see any on ebay? I have also been checking US cities on CL and can't find one - Does anybody know of any other sources for used parts? Even if I could find a running saw - I would swap the piston / cyl to keep her "granddad's " original saw.

attachment.php

Piston Up
attachment.php

Piston Down (back of cylinder wall in focus)
attachment.php

The pictures arent showing for me, may just be my computer though.

There are a million of those saws so maybe someone will chime in with some parts that will work, and knowledge on tearing one apart. I have one Im trying to get running right now, but havent took the time yet.

I believe you have to grind an open end wrench down, thin it out to get the cylinder bolts out.Is there a part of the saw body in the way?

Pioneerguy600

I'll second this. There's one or two that are impossible without a thin profile open end 7/16" wrench. Happen to have an older craftsman wrench which is slightly thinner that I hold on to just for these.

Dan

I believe you have to grind an open end wrench down, thin it out to get the cylinder bolts out.Is there a part of the saw body in the way?

Pioneerguy600

What he said:)
I rebuilt a Super 2100 same deal...
was very fortunate to find a nos piston and cylinder tho
Go out to Acres web site there are a few guys that sell vintage parts
Steve

Last edited:
tried to fix the photos ---

Another try at the photos -- (somebody tell me if they did or didn't work)

This is the nut I can't get - I was going to tap it out with a chisel but I was not sure about how to re-install -
attachment.php

Piston Shot
attachment.php

Piston down
attachment.php

I can see the pics now.

We have a few wrenchs ground down. Makes a world of difference. But still takes a bit of patience sometimes.

Latest posts

Back