Homelite Rebuild Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldbigred

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am currently attempting my first full engine tear down and rebuild on a Homelite Super Xl Automatic and have a few questions about the process.

When I got the saw it had no ignition what-so-ever, so I have been looking for a good used ignition with no success. I did however find a gentleman with a good used flywheel and ignition off another Super Xl. However the p/ns for those parts don't match those of my saw. So I was wondering if I should try those parts on my saw or just by a new ignition. (on a side note my flywheel has some damage to the back side [check the picture] -> http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj281/oldbigred/?action=view¤t=DSCN3536.jpg)

So given that info what should I do, I do not know for sure even if the flywheel I currently have is the correct flywheel for my saw as it was already removed from the saw when I got it. Just give me your opinions please, as I'm not sure what to do.

My next questions are pretty straight forward. How do you guys go about torquing down the cylinders on these saws as you can't really get a torque wrench down on the nuts, due to the location of the cyl bolts and the shape of the cylinder. What should they be torqued to? Lastly, what should the ring gap be or do i need to worry about this since I have a new piston/cyl/rings setup? Thanks to everyone in advance. -Jared

Buy another one and use your current one for a parts saw. Hard to justify investing much money in a saw that can be bought in good condition for $20-50 and so readily available. Not trying to discourage you from monkeying with a saw, just telling you that you shouldn't invest a whole lot of time or money in the venture.

I paid $20 for my Super XL 6 years ago, and it's a strong runner. Never fails to start, and cuts whatever I throw at it.

Mark

I already have the piston, rings, clips, pin, a NOS cylinder, and a new rod w/ bearings. All I have left to get is a cyl gasket and ignition and put the old girl together, so I plan on finishing this one (Low hour original saw in good shape save the engine). But thanks for the opinion.

Hey Calvin,

All is going quite well on the rebuild, got the saw all torn down and completly cleaned up and it looks even better than I thought it would. Like I said in the post I think I found a used ignition, so I'll probably go that route and that gentleman also said he mite have the gasket i need so if I can pick those up I'll have everything I need for re-assembly. I'm just a little short on know-how, so I hope someone can answer my questions. thanks -jared

I'm not surprised that the flywheel & ignition part #'s don't match. Homelite had two distinct point systems, one from Wico and one from Phelon. The parts supposedly are not interchangeable, including the flywheel. Then there was the electronic system that of course has a unique bracket, coil and flywheel. As long as the ignition system you have is matched and in good shape, you'll be ready to go. Your pic wouldn't open for me, so I don't know exactly what damage your other flywheel has, but more than likely on of the fuel tank mounting bolts backed off and rubbed the back of the flywheel. I've had this happen and it will stop a saw dead-out. When reassembling, be sure to hit those with some loctite red! I've done a lot of these things and have yet to worry about ring gap....I know if you're looking for pure performance, you should, but in general the rings are fine out of the box. Torquing the cylinder isn't much of a problem either, an open end wrench works fine. Just run everything down snug, tighten a 1/8 turn past full collapse of the lock washer and you'll be there. Hope this helps!

Hey,
I knew that there was a difference between the Phelon (solid state) and the Wico (Points) ignition. But the parts I found were solid state components, same as mine and after checking I found the parts should interchange requardless of different pn's as the mounting plate for ignition is the same and the crank is the same on both saws (hence there so be no problems mounting the flywheel). I believe you are correct that one of the bolts must have backed out as that appears to be what caused the damage on my original flywheel and when I got the saw it had no ignition module at all. Thanks for the info reguarding the rings and cylinder torque. -Jared

Back