Homelite Restoration/Resurrection

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, here's the latest. The rubber seat was damaged and it wouldn't allow the fuel to shut off. Now it starts with half a pull. I flipped the choke, set the trigger, hit the toggle to on and grabbed the pull start just to see if it was going to catch and the thing started up in half a pull. I got the high and low speed dialed in and it runs like a top.

Now the next piece of the puzzle is the bar and chain. The bar that is on it looks to be from a husky (stamped "made in Sweden"). I don't have a chain, so I'm looking for a lead on those two parts to complete the project. Anyone have anything laying around?

We got hammered pretty hard with this last ice storm, tree through the roof of the house, raining in my bedroom, smashed the lawn shed to bits and most of its contents. Hope everyone else in the Northeast made out better than we did.

Those old saws would have run hard nose bars and most likely 404 or 7/16 pitch chain. If you check the drive on the clutch drum it may have been changed, possibly to 3/8" pitch if the bar is a Huskvarna bar so you will have to decide what type of bar and pitch of chain you want to run, more modern or older vintage.
Pioneerguy600

Last edited:
OK, here's the latest. The rubber seat was damaged and it wouldn't allow the fuel to shut off. Now it starts with half a pull. I flipped the choke, set the trigger, hit the toggle to on and grabbed the pull start just to see if it was going to catch and the thing started up in half a pull. I got the high and low speed dialed in and it runs like a top.

Now the next piece of the puzzle is the bar and chain. The bar that is on it looks to be from a husky (stamped "made in Sweden"). I don't have a chain, so I'm looking for a lead on those two parts to complete the project. Anyone have anything laying around?

We got hammered pretty hard with this last ice storm, tree through the roof of the house, raining in my bedroom, smashed the lawn shed to bits and most of its contents.
Hope everyone else in the Northeast made out better than we did.

sorry to hear this happened to you is insurance going to cover the damage ?

if i had a chain bar that would fit that saw i be glad to send it to ya free of charge cause it would be a old stock bar

actually can you post a picture on this thread of the bar mount that it has right now so i can see if i have a hard nose bar that will match it and then just have to find the chain to fit it

Last edited:
Here are a few photos. It doesn't appear that this bar would allow the oiler to work, but then again, I don't actually know that anyone ever tried to run the saw with this bar because I just received the saw without any history of its condition.

Hey Jerry- what about pre-1948? You think 25:1 with modern full synthetic will do it?

Jacob ,I have been running 40-1 in a lot of my vintage saws and it burns a lot cleaner than the mixes of old and the saws do not heat up so it seems that the oil is doing a good job protecting the moving parts. I would think from my observations that the 40-1 mix would be good enough for any two stroke that runs on roller and ball bearings. My oldest saws just happen to be 1948 IEL AB, Titan 200 and Titan Sportsman and these saws are doing fine on the 40-1 mix. The full synthetic would in my opinion do the job mixed 40-1 or even higher at 50-1, I don`t think any engines require the mixes of old that were once as low as 8-1, those old things were lucky to survive the build up of carbon in the exhaust ports and muffler. I remember all too well having to clean out the ports and the muffler/resonators every 40 -80 hrs of operation and even then I seen damage done by carbon hardening in the ports especially in the summer when cylinder temps would be much higher it seemed to harden the carbon build up even more than during the cooler months of operation.
Pioneerguy600

Calvin; how do I go about ordering 6 of the rk88 HL kits from you? Remember I am in Canada.
Pioneerguy600

i can override the store itself and go direct thru paypal or google checkout with a invoice thru them first class mail to you in canada will run you about 6.95 in shipping and handling

the kits cost $ 12.83 a kit

let me know right now im trying to get a homelite xl 12 saw fixed for a customer having a issue with it the reed valve where it goes against the throttle handle is showing with a gap and i found a area on the throttle handle where there is a slit into the metal part on both sides where the reed valve rests on this may be why the reed valve was having issues in the first place prior to the guy bringing it to me to fix

may need to have the customer come here so i can show him the problem

so i can see if he wants me to fix this handle well talk later

calvin

Latest posts

Back