Homelite saws...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoonyOne

Reaction score
I have obtained two Homelite chain saws, one is a Super EZ Automatic, and the other is an XL-2 Automatic. I would like to 'restore' these saws to a nice condition. It is obvious that the EZ is old, but just how old? The EZ's manual oiler does not pump oil, is there a bladder that could be ruptured, or could it be because the oil cap is missing (lack of pressure build-up)? The XL-2 is obviously a cheaper saw, and is missing the top part of the handle, I assume it was plastic. Can anyone help me?

Hello there, The Super EZ Auto is one fine saw. It was built into the mid to late 80's, first buildt in late 60's. There is O-rings on the manual oiler plunger that tend to go bad. Take off the 7/16" Aluminum nut under the oiler button and slide the unit out, watching for the spring to follow (it could flick you with oil). The XL-2 came out in the late 60's also, pretty good little saw, newer models were plaqued with unsolvable issues. I probally could help you with parts let me know what you need. Jonathan

I can give you the years built if you send the S/N & UT #...
The XL2 was a was a good handy trimmer with the 2
triggers and a bar 8" to 12"... any longer was streaching its power (IMHO)...presuming the body was not plastic the handle cover was P/N 69140B and still available. It snapped in at the tail end and often the tab broke off when it was removed the wrong way. I assume you have all the trigger/spring/rod that is under the cover.
The O-Rings for the SEZ oiler are 58406 & 59074, the vented oil cap is A65284B all still avail.

Hey all! It's been a LONG time since I've been in this forum. :bang: I recently dug out the two saws that I never finished putting back together. I have gone as far as getting both saws mostly together and now remembering what it was that I had been needing to get a hold of.

1) Super EZ--saw runs great, BUT, the manual oiler basically spits out a spatter of oil/air. Something is amiss here. The plunger seems OK, but it does not seem to be getting oil from the resevoir. Could it need to be primed? Also, revisiting the auto oiler...the thing is trashed. I remember cutting for quite some time on LOTS of grass/weed strands just to free the thing. I now see that the end of the shaft, opposite the gear, has a flat spot worn into it. That may not be as big of issue than the fact that the pinion gear is cupped, and the drive (ring) gear is kind of worn. I assume these to be NO good and in need of replacement...provided I can find them somewhere.
Also, this saw has a cracked cover on the bar side. I need to replace it if I can find a decent one somewhere...any suggestions????
I do have an eccentric Homelite dealer here in Waterloo/Cedar Falls and I plan on trying there tomorrow or the next day to see how he can help me.

2) XL2--This saw basically just needs the recoil replaced and the plastic cover over the dual throttle assembly. I wrote down the part numbers listed above and will start there.

I'd really love to get both of these saws up and running as they were my Grandfather's and I'd just like to have them in running condition.

Super EZ serial number is:30363445. Can anyone help me on what year this saw is? It is a red/white model, so I can only assume it to be an early 70's model, but it would still be nice to know. I brainfartedly did not write down the other serial # when I was outside.

I will GREATLY appreciate any help I can get with this, particularly the Super EZ. Thanks all!!:chainsawguy:

Last edited:
Ya, I've gotten them into running order. However, I went to have a friend put a new chain on the SEZ and he said he couldn't because it was the wrong bar for the saw and had the wrong oil ports. As far as I know, it's the only bar that's ever been on the saw. Now I guess I'm looking for a different bar...:confused:

You could always drill your own oil hole to match.A lot cheaper then a new bar.

Back