Homelite Super XL

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cahickm2

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have an old Homelite Super XL (Blue model from the 60's?) and i am having some trouble with it. Last weekend I was using it til it ran out of fuel. I filled it back up and tried to start it. I can only get it to run for a short period of time. It seems as if it isn't getting any fuel. But I have no clue. Has anyone ever had this happen? Also, are there any manuals for these old saws?

Thanks

Hi! Welcome to the site! You need to status the saw's systems. A few basic questions need to be answered:

1. Does the saw have compression? Hold the saw up by the pull rope.....does the saw zip to the ground or does it go down fairly slowly in a series of slow bumps? Its a pretty rough estimation, but this will give you some idea of how healthy compression is.

2. Pop off the muffler and take a peek at the piston and rings. Move the piston using the pull rope to get a look at the back of the cylinder. Do things look pretty clean... or are they scored up?

3. Is there spark? Pull the plug, and with the boot attached, ground the plug against the case and pull the rope. Is there spark? These are old points systems but solid state ignitionare available for cheap.

4. Is the saw getting fuel? Inspect the fuel line for breaks, cracks, dryness, and pliability. When you squeeze it does it spring back to shape quickly or does it look like it might collapse under vacuum? Check your fuel filter (on the end of the fuel line inside the fuel tank.) I uninstall mine and blow through it (mmm, tasty!) to see if it offers resistance. Check to make sure that the carburetor and mounting block are snugged up.

With the plug, plug boot and muffler reinstalled and the air filter and cover uninstalled, add a half teaspoon of fuel to the carb throat. While you're doing it, make sure the saw is tipped down (bar down,rear handle up) and the throttle is depressed so that the fuel will spill into the combustion chamber. Once you've done that, try to start the saw. If the saw starts and and runs for a few secs, you've probabaly just found that your no-run condition is fuel system related.

Although there are exceptions, if you have fuel, spark and compression, the saw will most likely start and run. Do these things, then get back to us with results. We can help you more when you give us more to work with.

Last edited:
Since the problem is coincidental with refueling, my first suspect would be fuel system somewhere. I'd check the fuel filter first-perhaps the fuel you dumped in had gotten junk in it, or even more likely sawdust got into the tank while you were filling. If the fuel filter looks okay, then it might be worth while to check the little screens in the carb. I'm not familiar with that carb, but most have a screen underneath the pump diaphragm. If both of those check out, then you can start going down the list of spark, compression, etc., etc.

well i found the issue before i checked what you guys suggested. I was taking the plug out to see it it was fouled. i put the wrench on it and i was like must be wrong size because it turned really easy......it wasn't the plug wasn't even finger tight.......

Back