Homelite VI955 fuel line replacement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yquem

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I found a Homelite VI955 here locally that "needs work" but looks cosmetically quite nice, and has a 32 inch bar and, he said, new chain. (I haven't driven out to see it yet).

However, the pull cord is gone and he said it needs the fuel line replaced. My reservatations are that without the pull cord, you can't test compression or spark, and I've never dug into one of these to know how hard it is to replace the fuel line.

He doesn't want a whole lot of money - $60 - but these saws aren't worth a whole lot, even running. Plus, I've got quite a few saws already so I am on the fence with this one.

Any advice?

the 955 is almost identical to a 925 which i own 2 of. the pull cord is easy to replace as well as the fuel line. the most difficult part of course is feeding the fuel line thru the rubber grommet thru the fuel tank, but over all a rather simple task. for 60 bucks personnaly i would jump on it, those saws were work horses i have seen them sell for over 200 dollars on flea bay

Last edited:
Huh, thats the saw that I was waiting on the seller to get back with me on it. Said he had a guy local looking at it yesterday and I never heard back so I figured it was gone.

You better not mess around I'll be calling him myself.

No I didnt, but it looks good.

It is already up to what the other one would have been even with my daughter picking it up and shipping it to me.

I don't mind doing a recoil rope and a fuel line, I can do those in my sleep.

ive been watching it out of curiosity and if the price was right mabee making a bid..... i really dont need it , i already have 2 925s and a 922 which are both almost identical to the 955vi less the anti vibe.......ditto on the rope and fuel line

I'm supposed to meet him on Saturday to pick it up. Sounds nice, with the antivibe and electronic ignition. hopefuly will be an easy fix.

I talked to him and now I'm a bit nervous. The pictures shows a pretty clean saw. He said he had it all apart and replaced the chain and rebuilt the carb, and said it "ran OK". when I asked him the condition of the cylinder and piston, he said it was "pretty good" and as for compression, "it has compression, you can feel it when you turn the flywheel"

Also, he said the starter dogs are worn, but still usable.

Finally, he said that it needs two fuel lines, formed, and cannot use generic line, and said he found them on ebay for $15 a piece. Is that right? you have to use propriety fuel lines.

I passed on the saw: it had a broken air filter cover, a piece missing from the clutch cover, the bottom of the full-wrap handle had a piece missing, so it was held on just loosely. More importantly, compression (which I had to check by turning the flywheel) was weak, as if there was a compression release on (but I don't think these had them, right? I couldn't hear any air escaping). I pulled the muffler and didn't see any scoring, so I don't know why the low compression.

He said he had a new chain made for it at the cost of $35 (which looked true), he rebuilt the carb, but did not replace the starter rope (hmm, maybe to make it hard to feel how awful the compression was?)

When I asked him about the low compression, he shrugged his shoulders and said, "well, I'm no expert."

He might relist it on CL/Portland.

Latest posts

Back