Homelite won't start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArborView

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just dug an old Homelite 240 out of the barn that's been sitting for at least 10 years. I changed the fuel filter and plug but can't get it started. It will start on starting fluid, but won't run, so it seems it isn't getting fuel. Any ideas where to start? I normally run Huskys and Stihls so I don't know anything about Homelites.

The fuel line is most likely clogged from stale fuel or has totally deteriorated. Remove it and blow it out or replace it. If that doesn't do it than the carb will need to be cleaned out and rebuilt.

As long as you can get a rebuild kit, carb overhaul isn't too difficult. Blast out all the passages with aerosol carb cleaner and replace the diaphram and all the gaskets.

After a ten year vacation, a carb kit is definitely in order. Most of the saws I've resurrected had inlet needles shellaced shut and diaphrams that were harder than a crack whore. If you can do the work yourself you are looking at less than ten bucks in parts.
Good luck, Dave

Homelite won't start - 240

A pecularity I have found on the 240...
ZAMA carbs have a serious wear problem on the throttle shaft. Not sure abt the carb body, but the shaft wears faster than any other saw I've seen.

Latest posts

Back