Homelite xl-12 help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riversidelife

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey folks. I just got a Homelite xl-12 chainsaw with a 20" bar. Made in Canada by Terry Industries and it is a type 10080, serial # 02470023. I cant get a spark out of the coil, and I am not sure if I have to pull the flywheel to get the coil off ? Its odd . Anyway, I am curious if anyone would know when this was made, if its worth fixing , or if its worth anything as it is. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Sunny

Post some pics. You can pull the coil without pulling the flywheel. The XL-12 are some of the greatest saws ever built. Fix it and keep it.

If it's points ignition they made need cleaned, reset, or replaced. This does require flywheel removal. I end up converting to electronic ignition with a nova 2 module. Worked great! If the p and c is in good condition it's worth keeping!

If you have the later model electronic ignition you'll just have to replace the ignition assembly. No other choice. But that didn't show up until the very late model Red ones. If I remember right. If it has the point type, you're in better shape. You need to look for everything to be squeaky clean. Pull the flywheel and the saw down with cleaner of your choice. You have to watch for light oil coating on the wires going to the condenser and the coil, plus on the points. Use an electrical contact cleaner on these parts. Carb/brake cleaner won't work. Contact cleaner evaporates fast and doesn't leave a residue. You can test the condenser with a digital ohm meter. One lead on the wire end and the other on the case of the condenser, you will notice the meter climbing or decending numerically. Now switch the leads. You should see the meter doing the exact opposite. I.e. With red lead on wire and black lead on condenser case the ohm reading will start climbing slow and steady. Now reverse the test leads and the meter will start slowly dropping. If you get only one direction (climbing or dropping) or no change at all the condenser is bad. You have to do this test with the condenser removed from the saw and on a wood surface. I've never seen a coil on a point type system go bad. It's always the condenser or oil coating the wires. 99 % of the time it is oil. If cleaning all the pieces doesn't work, you still didn't get it clean enough. So do it again.

If you have the later model electronic ignition you'll just have to replace the ignition assembly. No other choice. But that didn't show up until the very late model Red ones. If I remember right. If it has the point type, you're in better shape. You need to look for everything to be squeaky clean. Pull the flywheel and the saw down with cleaner of your choice. You have to watch for light oil coating on the wires going to the condenser and the coil, plus on the points. Use an electrical contact cleaner on these parts. Carb/brake cleaner won't work. Contact cleaner evaporates fast and doesn't leave a residue. You can test the condenser with a digital ohm meter. One lead on the wire end and the other on the case of the condenser, you will notice the meter climbing or decending numerically. Now switch the leads. You should see the meter doing the exact opposite. I.e. With red lead on wire and black lead on condenser case the ohm reading will start climbing slow and steady. Now reverse the test leads and the meter will start slowly dropping. If you get only one direction (climbing or dropping) or no change at all the condenser is bad. You have to do this test with the condenser removed from the saw and on a wood surface. I've never seen a coil on a point type system go bad. It's always the condenser or oil coating the wires. 99 % of the time it is oil. If cleaning all the pieces doesn't work, you still didn't get it clean enough. So do it again.

Actually, you do have a choice. If your module is bad and you can't find one or don't want to pay a high price for one you can put a points coil on it and hook up a Nova II module and basically make it an electronic ignition at a cheaper price. The Nova IIs are on ebay at about $15 or less and the points coils are plentiful and fairly cheap also. The modules sell as high as $89 which is about what the saws sell for...

Ok, this has a solid state coil like you would find in a lawn mower, not points and condensor. It is a Homelite " blue " , and it appears the coil is mounted on a bracket that can only be removed if I pull the flywheel ?

The blue xl12's are point type engines. Unless somebody has converted to a nova module. Blue to red changeover was about 1972. With electronic ignition not being introduced until sometime in the 80's. yes, you will have to pull the flywheel to check the points and to remove the ignition assembly. Coil is probably riveted to the mount. But like I said, point type coils seldom go bad. I had 16 xl12's at one time. A lot of super xl parts will interchange the only real difference being engine displacement. Xl12 was 55cc and the super was 57cc. But being a blue one it should be points. Also check the on/off switch wire. If its dirty/oily it can create a grounding problem too. Easy to make a new wire and replace it.

The blue xl12's are point type engines. Unless somebody has converted to a nova module. Blue to red changeover was about 1972. With electronic ignition not being introduced until sometime in the 80's. yes, you will have to pull the flywheel to check the points and to remove the ignition assembly. Coil is probably riveted to the mount. But like I said, point type coils seldom go bad. I had 16 xl12's at one time. A lot of super xl parts will interchange the only real difference being engine displacement. Xl12 was 55cc and the super was 57cc. But being a blue one it should be points. Also check the on/off switch wire. If its dirty/oily it can create a grounding problem too. Easy to make a new wire and replace it.

It does appear the coil is riveted to the mount alright. It looks similar to a mower coil so I didnt think there would be points involved. I will see if I can get the flywheel off and investigate. Checked the wires n switch but I will do it again.

Thanks to everyone for the tips, will check back after I get this thing cracked open.

You might be able to look and see if there's a wire running from under the flywheel to the coil. If there's a wire you can be sure it's a points ignition. If it's a points ignition it will be easy to troubleshoot the problem. Seems like to me the coil is bolted onto the bracket on the Super XL...just worked on one this week.

Last edited:
If it is blue then you can safely assume that it has points. If it is red then look at the coil. If it just has 1 wire and that one wire is going to the kill switch then it is electronic. If it has 2 wire (one to the switch and 1 going under the flywheel) then it is points. Just clean the points, gap them to 0.015 thousandths, and clean them again after you check with your feeler gauge. To clean the points cut about 10 strips of printer paper about 3in long, and 1/2in wide. Turn the crankshaft till the point opens, then stick the strip of paper in. Now turn it again until the point closes. Pull the paper out slowly. The paper should be black were the point touched it. Repeat until the paper comes out clean.
Very rarely you have to take sand paper or as such to clean them. Paper does the trick for me 98% of the time.

If it is blue then you can safely assume that it has points. If it is red then look at the coil. If it just has 1 wire and that one wire is going to the kill switch then it is electronic. If it has 2 wire (one to the switch and 1 going under the flywheel) then it is points. Just clean the points, gap them to 0.015 thousandths, and clean them again after you check with your feeler gauge. To clean the points cut about 10 strips of printer paper about 3in long, and 1/2in wide. Turn the crankshaft till the point opens, then stick the strip of paper in. Now turn it again until the point closes. Pull the paper out slowly. The paper should be black were the point touched it. Repeat until the paper comes out clean.
Very rarely you have to take sand paper or as such to clean them. Paper does the trick for me 98% of the time.

Earlier in this post I wasn't sure if they were saying the saw was blue or the coil was blue. Homelite mixed up the red and blue saws some but I always thought the blue ones were older. I do have a Super XL that is blue and it is electronic. I've had red ones with points also...But yes, if there's two wires going to the coil it has points. I've seen some coils with a ground wire going to the mounting bolt.

Last edited:
Earlier in this post I wasn't sure if they were saying the saw was blue or the coil was blue. Homelite mixed up the red and blue saws some but I always thought the blue ones were older. I do have a Super XL that is blue and it is electronic. I've had red ones with points also...
As workshop said, they started painting them red in the early 70s. Is your blue SXL like a dark glossy blue? In the late 90s they came out with the Limited Edition Old Blue SXL and XL-12. Which of course was electronic.

As workshop said, they started painting them red in the early 70s. Is your blue SXL like a dark glossy blue? In the late 90s they came out with the Limited Edition Old Blue SXL and XL-12. Which of course was electronic.

Yes, mine is a limited edition Old Blue. Beautiful saw, almost looks new.

Last edited:
Yes, mine is a limited edition Old Blue. Beautiful saw, almost looks new.
Nice...always wanted one of those. Yeah I hear ya with Homelite and the color changing. Their first model the 20 was red along with the 26, 4-20 styles, EZ etc. Then in the later 50s they started painting some of them blue. Then still blue in the 60s. Then all red in the 70s and on. From what I have seen, Homelite's pre 70s red models apear to be pro models and the blue ones seem to be the homeowner models. I think this is true cause models like the original EZ is very similar to the ZIP. But the ZIP was marketed to farmers and the EZ was more of a logger saw. If you look at all of the blue models from the late 50s and 60s, (Super XL, XL-12, ZIP, 150, etc) those are all homeowner saws. But models like the XL-101, XL-15, etc were all pro saws. And those were red

Latest posts

Back