Homelite XL 123 fix-up?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finchers

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Got an old XL 123 w/18" that hasn't been cranked in years. Still at my dads house down in the building. I'm thinking that it's pretty mechanically sound although I'm sure the carb will need a good cleaning and a kit, maybe new fuel lines and possibly some ignition work. Ya'll think this is worth fixing up or should i just find another small/med saw to take its place? It wouldn't get too much use, just some stuff that would be a little small for the Poulan 5200...

There's nobody here that can tell you if the saw is worth fixing to you. From the sound of it, it's your dad's saw so that alone may make it worthwhile.

As far as I know there isn't anything particularly special about the 123's, so beyond sentimental value it probably isn't worth dumping a whole lot of money into. That being said a fuel filter, fuel line, and even a carb kit all together wouldn't cost more than 20 bucks so if that's all it takes to get it going then it'd make a pretty cheap saw for you.

There's nobody here that can tell you if the saw is worth fixing to you. From the sound of it, it's your dad's saw so that alone may make it worthwhile.

As far as I know there isn't anything particularly special about the 123's, so beyond sentimental value it probably isn't worth dumping a whole lot of money into. That being said a fuel filter, fuel line, and even a carb kit all together wouldn't cost more than 20 bucks so if that's all it takes to get it going then it'd make a pretty cheap saw for you.

The saw really doesn't have much sentimental value, I just want a decent little saw that I can get by with for cheap. Might take it down to the shop and see what they say.

123s are similar in concept to the SXLs, just a bit modernized. I consider them a nice reliable 3.5 cu in saw that'll be happy pulling a 16" to 20" bar. Not a modern saw, but not too shabby if you can be happy with 60s/70s saws.

Dan

The saw really doesn't have much sentimental value, I just want a decent little saw that I can get by with for cheap. Might take it down to the shop and see what they say.

I have yet to be in a saw shop (at least a "modern" one) that didn't look at me funny when I told them I run Homelites. So unless your shop is different, they're probably going to tell you to forget it. I'd have to say if you need a shop to do the work, then the labor alone is probably going to make it cost prohibitive. Might be better putting it up for sale in the trading post here or even throwing it on Ebay and putting the money towards something more modern.

I have yet to be in a saw shop (at least a "modern" one) that didn't look at me funny when I told them I run Homelites. So unless your shop is different, they're probably going to tell you to forget it. I'd have to say if you need a shop to do the work, then the labor alone is probably going to make it cost prohibitive. Might be better putting it up for sale in the trading post here or even throwing it on Ebay and putting the money towards something more modern.
I have yet to be in a saw shop (at least a "modern" one) that didn't look at me funny when I told them I run Homelites.
if a customer brought in a Homelite to us for repair we would not look at them funny like we would be thrilled to work on them

Back