Homemade OWB (Picture Heavy)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Completed. Completely insured and ready to heat. Gravel around the unit per insurance man. After my first season i had no issues. I added a little expansion tank to the top to ensure the firebox stayed completely submerged. I also added another section of class A chimney to keep and smoke on the heavy days up more. So far so good.

View attachment 444962
Complete with light.
View attachment 444963

View attachment 444964
Another view
View attachment 444965
Back Door to Ports and aqua stat.
View attachment 444966
Added expansion tank.
View attachment 444967
Gauges to monitor out going and incoming temps. Garage circuit hadn't been completed yet. I added a wi-fi camera in there pointed at the outgoing temp gauge so i could monitor my boiler temp anywhere from my phone or computer. Works real well if you have doubts about how the boiler is doing.
View attachment 444968
Fresh Load.
View attachment 444969
Added pipe section.
View attachment 444970
Exchanger install in the garage. Down draft furnace mounted up stairs.

Hope you guys like as much as i have enjoyed reading all your posts. Be sure to let me know if you need any more detail. i know when i was building mine i referred to this site and the world wide web quite a bit. Maybe this will help me get on the posting band wagon. A lot of great info on here!! Thanks again

Just too slick! You guys who can work with steel and welding, etc, impress the heck outta me.

Any idea what you yearly consumption is?
Last winter it was right around the 10 cord mark. That's just a rough guess. I kinda had wood laying all over trying to get a good system down for the first year. Planning on a wood shed as soon as I get home after the holiday weekend.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Great build! Wish I had done something like this instead of buying my CB.
Thanks! I looked into buying. Figured if this don't work out I have all the piping and what not done. If all else fails I can just toss it in the scrap pile and put a bought unit in.

Very nice build. That door looks sweet. Great job.
I just started my second boiler. And was wondering how having the pipe extend into the burn chamber worked out?

Steven

Very nice build. That door looks sweet. Great job.
I just started my second boiler. And was wondering how having the pipe extend into the burn chamber worked out?

Steven
Well thanks. Something I've been wanting to do some time now. The pipe extended down has worked pretty good I think. I'm sure it's not like have a baffle but it makes the smoke work a little harder to get out. Which may make a lil more smoke when I open the door if I don't crack it first and let the fire get rolling.

Wowza! I only do a bit of welding and metal work, but this impresses the socks off of me. I can't even imagine tackling such a project. Nice work! :rock::bowdown:
Thanks so much. I think it was a little difficult to think about how it would all come together. Once I got rolling I did not want to stop. I say if you can start scrounging some materials you just go for it.

Wow really great build you are pretty talented, I bet that set up is worth 5 grand. Good on you for scrounging up the material to do the job on the cheep . Great work.
Thanks Jeff! On the cheap always feels good! And it was fun.

Latest posts

Back