Homeowner dies while felling tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like

The butt cuts look like either:

A grossly inadequate top cut to the face (Dutchman) was made
or
A bore cut(s) that removed the hinge was made.

==============

What a shame. I am amazed at the lack of respect some have for the size,weight,and power of a falling tree.I have learned over the years how to drop trees,but I am no expert,having only dropped maybe 100+ trees in my lifetime.I got a pro to drop a few for use a few yrs back,they were just too big for me to handle with my saws and experience.He dropped them safely and quickly,made it look like childs play.It was well worth the couple hundred dollars he charged.Like anything else,you gotta know your limits,and work within them.I also never work alone,always have help with me when dropping trees,of course they are well outside the dropline,and usually seated in the big loader or SS with the forks on it.

It is a shame, thats for sure.

But, according to the article it sounds like he had already made the cuts THEN climbed up on a ladder to attach a rope and pull it over.

1) You do not make cuts before climbing to put a rope on.
2) You do not pull straight on a rope that obviously wasn't long enough to begin with.
3) How is it that you do not run or otherwise try and get out of the way of a tree that is obviously coming right at you? Did he just decide to stop and light a cigarette or something once it started falling? I don't get it.

Maybe it is possibly one of three things.

1) He had absolutely NO business buying the stupid chainsaw in the first place.. Or at the least could not read the directions that came with it.
2) Darwin was right.
3) Anyone think that maybe it was a surefire way of committing suicide?

If someone is "disturbed" enough to jump into a running chipper, someone could be disturbed enough to drop a tree on himself.

Sure would be a good way to commit suicide and still have your family get any life insurance because it would certainly "look" like an accident wouldn't it?

:monkey:

Last edited:
Splittah, those comments are a little gross imo. This man made surely mistakes, but I know easier ways of comitting suicide. I think he cut his hinge and left an unstable tree standing. Maybe the wind blew it over when he walking away to pull... Sad accident that easily could have been avoided.

As there were no witnesses the above statement is speculation. The ladder is not shown in the photo or video so my guess would be that even if he did use a ladder to place a rope after the tree was cut, he made it back to the ground to pull on the rope. Judging from the stump cut there is no way that cut was made before climbing a ladder to place a rope. The hinge wood appears to be totally missing.

My guess is he pulled the tree over on himself using the rope.

Another possibility is that after he was done cutting the tree fell on him while he was heading to pull on the rope....and he did not see that the tree was already falling.

It is interesting to note that even though the hinge wood is totally cut....the tree appears to have fallen in the direction the wedge was cut.

A sad story and to me it raises the question:

Are the detectives going to seek the advice of professional tree fellers.......or do they think they can figure it out on their own?

The detectives apparently do not think it is speculation.. and they also say they believe he was in the process of pulling on it.

My point was that apparently he made the cuts then climbed the tree.... and the detectives stated they believe so too.

"Sheriff's detectives believe the accident victim, Ronald O'Dowd, of 14373 S.W. 18th Place, had partially cut the tree at the bottom and used a ladder to go up and tie a rope to it. O'Dowd apparently had climbed down and with the rope and was trying to tug or otherwise apply pressure to the tree when it fell on top of him."

They must have some reason to believe that this was the sequence of events.

And just because there is no ladder in the picture or video means nothing at all unless you were a first responder and saw the actual scene firsthand.

It is truly a sad thing.

And I would think they would seek the input of professionals as the detectives are pros at what they do also.

Last edited:
My thinking is that he tried pulling on the rope while facing the tree using arm strength. After trying this and not having any success he turned around facing away from the tree and wraped the rope around his waist making a loop and leaned over slightly to use his body weight and his legs to get more strength in pulling on the rope. This is my best explaination as to why he was trapped under the tree when it fell. If he was facing it as it fell he should have been more than able to get out of the way in time.

For his sake and his family I hope he did not sufer for to long of time.

Short ropes and tall trees do not go together well. Probably had a short rope tied on and pulled it to him thinking he could get out of the way as it fell. Might have tripped and that was it. Hopefully he is in a better place now. RIP.

Looks like that started out to be a textbook couple of felling cuts. Face about 1/4 1/3 the diameter. Back cut just a hair above apex of face cut. I think about a 4 inch hinge was originally set up. A 10 dollar felling wedge would have finished the job. HOWEVER, I bet she settled back on the back cut allowing him to reduce the thickness of the hinge from the face side untill the hinge became a mere 1/4" to 1/2" thick. The hinge wood then compressed a bit, pinching the saw, leaving no alternative except pull the tree over. Could have been the pull, could have been a slight breese, but when the hinge is that thin and compressed, it will just pull apart without a sound, giving no warning that the tree has started over. To bad this kind of thing happens so often.

As there were no witnesses the above statement is speculation. The ladder is not shown in the photo or video so my guess would be that even if he did use a ladder to place a rope after the tree was cut, he made it back to the ground to pull on the rope. Judging from the stump cut there is no way that cut was made before climbing a ladder to place a rope. The hinge wood appears to be totally missing.

My guess is he pulled the tree over on himself using the rope.

Another possibility is that after he was done cutting the tree fell on him while he was heading to pull on the rope....and he did not see that the tree was already falling.

It is interesting to note that even though the hinge wood is totally cut....the tree appears to have fallen in the direction the wedge was cut.

A sad story and to me it raises the question:

Are the detectives going to seek the advice of professional tree fellers.......or do they think they can figure it out on their own?

When you play the video, esp. on full screen view, it shows the stump. A few wiskers all very short denote a very narrow hinge, effctive tipping poles perhaps, but not entire trees.

Look in the lower corner of the butt. That tiny spec of sliver is all that was left of his hindge. The tree was over-sawed up, (could have had a limb touching another tree or a slight breeze) and he probably had little or no respect for the tree. Let that be a lesson. This stuff is needless. There are plenty of ways to do it, but ropes are absoultly retarted and not needed with any conifers. Use wedges. I'll argue that with anyone, all day long. And if you can't hit your spot with a good hindge and wedge, you have no business stumping that tree.

We've had two fatalities very similar to this one here in San Diego county within the last year, elderly gentlemen felling trees and dying alone when things went very wrong for them. Both were found dead by their wives.

One was extremely similar to this case in that the gentleman had made his felling cuts, then climbed up the tree to attach a rope when the tree fell pinning him under it.

The other was a crossed over oak that when the gentleman cut it from the ground, it jumped back on him, lifting him off the ground, and pinning him against an adjacent oak by the neck. He died quickly from a broken neck. It was a particularly grisly scene for his wife, who discovered him pinned off the ground by the neck. He obviously was completely unaware the tree he dropped was a crossover.

jomoco

More arborists should sell simple felling or offer a price just to put a tree on the ground.

I was thinking about this just today. I was dropping a hawthorn tree out by the road in front of one of my brother's houses, and I thought, "hey, I sold my Bandit 90 chipper so I cannot do full service tree removal, but... I could just drop a tree and buck it up for X bucks. But of course I would have to compete with the Mexican army around here. And they work pretty cheap. I would also have to get insurance. And probably have to get certified in this state. Then they would want a license. And then... :monkey:

I do free tree dropping for friends and family though.

It looks as if the back cut is slightly stepped. I'd say one or two cuts were made into the face cut. I'd guess the tree set back from wind or weight. Not enough to pinch the bar but enough to put some doubt in his mind. Out comes the ladder and rope. A couple cuts into the face. Then, ????
Phil

I'd like to see the stump. Everything is flat on the bottom of the tree...seems like his back cut was made in line with the top of the face cut( I held my laptop on its side so the tree is vertical) and not enough force in play for the tree to fall in the intended direction...so up went the rope. Could have been a light breeze that pushed it over and he was in the worst spot to be in while felling a tree.

Unfortunate.

Look in the lower corner of the butt. That tiny spec of sliver is all that was left of his hindge. The tree was over-sawed up, (could have had a limb touching another tree or a slight breeze) and he probably had little or no respect for the tree. Let that be a lesson. This stuff is needless. There are plenty of ways to do it, but ropes are absoultly retarted and not needed with any conifers. Use wedges. I'll argue that with anyone, all day long. And if you can't hit your spot with a good hindge and wedge, you have no business stumping that tree.

:agree2: , ropes retarted wedges are the way, and no, he had no bussiness even touching a chainsaw, let alone felling a tree, let his misfortune be a lesson to others with no common sense....

Was he found face down? Maybe he was pulling and the tree just came his way and he slipped and fell. Once he got the tree moving there was getting out of the way.

my #1 rule never pick-up a saw without some one around. and #2 never stand under a falling tree. I am sorry for the guy and his family but with little or no experience don't try too big a tree.

First of all, the use of pull ropes is standard practice for professional felling of residential trees, in conjunction with wedges to hold the kerf. Second, never stand in the drop zone, or turn your back on a partially cut tree. RIP.

Back