Honda bike handle trimmers best for weekend warriors!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yungman

yungman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Hi
I Just bought a Honda HHT31S bike handle 31cc 4 stroke trimmer. IT IS AMAZING!!!:jawdrop:

1) It is soooooo quiet. For those that live in denser area where noise is a problem. There is 4 cycle and there is 4 cycle. I have a brand new Shindaiwa C4 blower. I start it and put it side by side, you can't even hear the Honda. When you rev it up, the noise from the string head is as loud or even louder than the motor!!! I trim half the yard before I realized I forgot to wear ear protection!!!

2 This is a discontinued model, the new one is HHT35 with bigger engine. I bought this one because I don't like the timing belt of the new one even everybody told me that it is not a problem at all. What can I say, I am stubborn!!! I am lucky enough to find a new old model. The GX31 is a push rod engine. But this one comes only with bike handle, maybe that's the reason it is still sitting there. I was worry about this. I try the trimmer out this morning. It is so much easier to use than the convensional loop handle it is amazing!! I adjust the handle at position that the trimmer head side barely tip forward when holding the bike handle, I don't use the strap/ belt. I just tuck the motor to my right side. It is the carb. side and is not hot. It is so easy to control. This might not be important to pro that are very good in controlling the trimmer. For weekend warriors like me, I can never control the trimmer that well with the normal loop handle. The bike handle together with the motor tuck close to the body give me so much more control than my other one. For all you left-handers.....well.....you will have barbecue ribs!!!!:hmm3grin2orange:

It is heavy but with the bike handle, it really does not feel heavy at all because it is so much easier to hold than the normal loop handle. Your neighbor will love you for the quietness. I read a lot of posting on different lawn forum, nobody say anything bad about Honda trimmers other than they are heavy. This is really not an issue as stated above and we don't trim that long anyway. It is good for you, take it as weight lifting!!! with the bike handle, it is not even that!!

Have a nice day.

yungman

yungman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Hi Kogafortwo
Oh yes, I look at everything, both Stihl FS100, FS110 and FS130. They are very nice particular Stihl uses magnesium alloy for the crankcase from what I heard. The reason for choosing Honda is mainly because it is separate oil and gas. I hear all different oil mix, too little, too much, this brand, that brand. I am very old school, I think even 50:1 is too lean, forget 100:1. I finally say forget that and when for the Honda. The final straw was they have a new old model that have push rod instead of the timing belt, it was discontinue 2 years ago, I thought I cannot get it anymore. I just cannot resist.

BTW do you use their Ultra synthetic oil? what is your mix, how do you like it. I still have a Shindaiwa C4 blower that I need to mix gas.( hand held 4 cycle mix gas just like the Stihl 4Mix. Stihl don't have 4 Mix hand held.

Take care.

Saw Bones

Saw Bones

ArboristSite Operative
Hello Yungman, did you go to a Stihl dealer and try out an FS100RX or an FS110? Just curious to see how they compared. I like my FS100RX.

I use a Shihl FS 90 and it works great also. Dolmar also makes one, but I haven't used them, I did see one at the dealer and they are very light weight.
I had just bought the Stihl or I might have considered the Dolmar.

Kogafortwo

Kogafortwo

ArboristSite Guru
BTW do you use their Ultra synthetic oil? what is your mix, how do you like it. I still have a Shindaiwa C4 blower that I need to mix gas.( hand held 4 cycle mix gas just like the Stihl 4Mix. Stihl don't have 4 Mix hand held.

Take care.

I have been using Stihl "orange bottle" at 50:1 and 89-91 octane with no problems. I just bought a 6-pack of Stihl Ultra but haven't mixed a gallon yet. I started running 93 octane since I got my old 028 Wood Boss saw and want to make sure it runs another 25 or 30 years.

I have several other Stihl powerheads (see my equipment list) and use the same mix in all of them. Since most of them are 2-strokes, it's no big deal to put the same mix in my 4-mix. I am about to buy a new BG55 blower to replace my dead BG72. The newest Stihl handheld blowers are still 2-stroke.

yungman

yungman

Addicted to ArboristSite
I am taking my word back about using the bike handle with the harness for extensive period of time. I did tried to use the trimmer without the harness again yesterday for extended period of time, after a while, it was still not comfortable. But using with harness was very good.

yungman

yungman

Addicted to ArboristSite
I really like the low noise level of the Honda. One thing I notice is that if you tilt the engine sideway right after you start it, it will choke just a little, I tried let it idle for 30 second, then everything is find even you turn it at different position. I think you have to give time for the engine to whip the oil into mist inside, then you can turn it 360 deg.

I want to buy a 4 cycle hedge. Honda make one call HHH25. The problem they don't sell this in US. You can find it in Europe. I wonder whether it is worth the risk to order from England.

Latest posts