Honey Bees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kstill361

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was cutn up this huge oak , that had fell into the field, and the bees were using a knot in the tree to build their hive.The knot was in the ground so they were trapped untill I cut right thru the middle of them! Wow, it was cool, once I got into the hive, they were comin out of the cut like mad! I cant believe I didnt get stung once, I just kept cutting.

061.jpg

062.jpg

063.jpg

064.jpg

058.jpg

060-1.jpg

052-1.jpg

066-1.jpg

I was cutn up this huge oak , that had fell into the field, and the bees were using a knot in the tree to build their hive.The knot was in the ground so they were trapped untill I cut right thru the middle of them! Wow, it was cool, once I got into the hive, they were comin out of the cut like mad! I cant believe I didnt get stung once, I just kept cutting.

Holy Moosepoop! You're a lucky SOB to not get stung! Don't even try that with :censored: yellow jackets!

That is interesting not getting stung!

Seen my brother have a mad coon come out of a hollow oak that he dropped.

Good thing he left the Super XL auto running as he had to use it to defend himself. By the way the coon lost that fight.

That is interesting not getting stung!

Seen my brother have a mad coon come out of a hollow oak that he dropped.

Good thing he left the Super XL auto running as he had to use it to defend himself. By the way the coon lost that fight.

That mad coon would be scary! I shut the saw off when I first noticed the bees, I had no idea where they were coming from till I took my ear plugs out.That log was just a buzzn. Thats my Grandpa in the pic, he said just dont swat at them and they wont bother you, I was reluctant to take his advice , but I did , and the never bothered me.

NICE TREE!

I know a guy who was out in the field working on a ditchbank, cut into it, hit a bee hive, and was dead in 2 minutes.... he left behind two commercial businesses and a family.... sad.

KRS

I cut down a dead elm tree last winter that was full of bees. I ended up bringing a big piece home then i had a beekeeper come to my hose this spring to look at them. He took the log home with him after stapling metal screen over the openings. Then he managed to transfer the bees into a actual hive. He said he was going to breed the queen to make more colonys because they were obviously a strong wild colony. He said that there was approximatly 40,000 bees in that log.

He also said i did a good thing by not killing them because the bee population has been declining in the US in the last few years. I'm also going to be free honey out of the deal.

Nope! See, our man kstill (inspite of that horrible syllable in his name), was running a Jonsered(s), and bees know quality, so they cut him a break.

Now, see, if it had been 2K, or Tommy even, blundering into their hive with a clumsy 044...well see...them bees woulda done gone right up his nose holes and stung his brains out, just for the mere fun of trying to find 'em, first.

Them bees recognized quality here...trust me on this one...

Nope! See, our man kstill (inspite of that horrible syllable in his name), was running a Jonsered(s), and bees know quality, so they cut him a break.

Now, see, if it had been 2K, or Tommy even, blundering into their hive with a clumsy 044...well see...them bees woulda done gone right up his nose holes and stung his brains out, just for the mere fun of trying to find 'em, first.

Them bees recognized quality here...trust me on this one...

lol- Best thing I found to do when I was cutting timber and would hit a nest was to stand still for about three-five minutes, especially with yellowjackets. The way they act, it's like they're looking for movement. So I stand still, let them calm down, and keep running my saw. No worries.

Nice job of cuttin that big Oak. I love cuttin big Oaks like that, get to use every saw in my sig. Glad the bees didn't get you. Used to have alot of wild bees around here in NC 30 years ago. Now you seldom see a wild colony or swarm.:yourock:

Them bees recognized quality here...trust me on this one....

LOL! You tell 'em Woodie!:hmm3grin2orange:

Listen to this boys. A few months ago we had a contruction worker attacked by killer Bees. I kid you not. He was running a trackhoe and the bees came in through a cracked window. He jumped out ran to a nearby creek jumped in and the bees waited until he surfaced. He kept yelling for help. Finally a couple of workers came to his rescue, they rolled him in mud to shed the bees. They called the ems and took him to a neraby Highway(They were deep in the woods) He died once on the way, they revived him. At the hospital they used a credit card to scrape all the stingers off, that they could. The next day when he rolled over in bed the bed was covvered in stingers that fell out. He was 72 years old and had been stung over 300 times. The county called in a Bug-whatever guy from Kansas State unversity to investigate the hive. He assisted a county official to the site of the attack. As they were puttin on there suits, one got stung, so he slapped it down. Apparently that sends out some sort of signal(like White girl in trouble) the hive attacked them both. Needless to say they posioned the hive and put out a warning to the county. Africian Ized honeybees. will kill you Don't let your gaurd down. They say the best thing to do is run for cover, but the've been known to follow long distances. Oh Did I mention it was 2 miles from this computer. Yes, my back yard basically. We were cuttin soybeans within 100 yards of the attack on wednesday. We kept our eyes peeled the whole time. Still makes me jumpy, my kids could stir em up. So there in central Kansas everbody. Watch your azz

Holy Moosepoop! You're a lucky SOB to not get stung! Don't even try that with :censored: yellow jackets!
Was clearing a lot in september , felt like someone was putting out a smoke on my arm so I turner around to clock them :angry2: but there was no one around , then I saw the wasps .Went back the next day , found the hive in some deadfalls so I winched 3 trees over it , looked and there was a basketball out in the open in perfect condition with lots of activity so I'll wait for the cold before I go take care of that one .
:cheers:

Yellowjackets are the worst.

We were cutting firewood last fall, there had been a early season cold front move through the night before, which had left around 3"-5" of snow on the ground and 15F temps, beautiful cold mountain morning. Anyway moving the truck out to near a tree we had dropped stirred up a ground hornets nest. They came boiling out of the ground, I was getting ready to run when I realized they were freezing in mid air and dropping to the ground dead! Damnest thing, we packed the nest with a pile of snow and went about our business of gathering firewood. Figured it was payback for the times I have been stung.

We were cutting firewood last fall, there had been a early season cold front move through the night before, which had left around 3"-5" of snow on the ground and 15F temps, beautiful cold mountain morning. Anyway moving the truck out to near a tree we had dropped stirred up a ground hornets nest. They came boiling out of the ground, I was getting ready to run when I realized they were freezing in mid air and dropping to the ground dead! Damnest thing, we packed the nest with a pile of snow and went about our business of gathering firewood. Figured it was payback for the times I have been stung.

I hear ya, one stings me and the whole colony DIES.

You're so right, Yellow Jackets are the worst thing imaginable in my opinion. I have never seen it cold enough in NC to watch them fall dead but I would love to witness it though. I swear their sting is awful. :agree2:

You're so right, Yellow Jackets are the worst thing imaginable in my opinion. I have never seen it cold enough in NC to watch them fall dead but I would love to witness it though. I swear their sting is awful. :agree2:

I think it depends on what they are eating. I got stung last week by a slow yellowjacket, (probably the last two alive after the cold) which are called bees because it is easier to yell than a three syllable word. I didn't poof up. Sometimes I do. A logger who is deadly allergic was insisting that I must use his Epi pen because according to the date, it would expire soon and he didn't want to waste it. I managed to dissuade him. It has been a poor year for bees here. A good year to work in the woods.:clap:

yellow jackets are far worse than bees, they are bigger, they sting repeatedly and there alot more aggressive. bees wont bother with you unless your really doing something wrong, yellow jackets will come after ya if you get too close. Thats mostly because bees die after they sting yellow jackets dont.

Back