Honey Locust...A Love/Hate Relationship

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good deal. I would love to get adeal like that around here. It would be over 2 years of wood for me and no more battling in the brush piles.

WOW. He showed up at 10:15pm last night with a HUGE load! I'm surprised he didn't lose a log on the way over! I would say he had twice as much as the night before. I believe I have 11cord maybe more there! I will snap some shots of it tonight when I get home. If there's 11 cord there I paid $43 a cord! :clap::clap:

That's cheap. There's no way in hell anyone can haul back 11 cord in the time he did it! Any average joe would have spent $50 or more a cord in fuel, oil, chains, blown tires, and other costs! Gotta give the guy REP! He busted ass all day clearing out trees and then drove 15 miles out of his way to dump them at 10pm! :msp_w00t:

WOW. He showed up at 10:15pm last night with a HUGE load! I'm surprised he didn't lose a log on the way over! I would say he had twice as much as the night before. I believe I have 11cord maybe more there! I will snap some shots of it tonight when I get home. If there's 11 cord there I paid $43 a cord! :clap::clap:

That's cheap. There's no way in hell anyone can haul back 11 cord in the time he did it! Any average joe would have spent $50 or more a cord in fuel, oil, chains, blown tires, and other costs! Gotta give the guy REP! He busted ass all day clearing out trees and then drove 15 miles out of his way to dump them at 10pm! :msp_w00t:

Wow! Save that guys number! Hell, Give me his number!!!:hmm3grin2orange: Congratulations IOWA!

177071d1300920036-locust1-jpg
pics

I just got a grapple truck load of honey locust last night from a tree service. Probably 4 cord on that load. He just called me now. Said he had a monster load with 6 cord on it. All nice sized logs with all thorns taken off. Gonna average less than $40 a cord delivered! I hope I can keep in touch with this tree guy. If so no more scrounging in the woods for me.

Gotta admit I thought you had payed the guy some money for the loads. My bad, have never kept a close eye on the cost of cutting my own firewood.

Not bad if you have to pay for wood. I get wood 100% free.

Looking at your signature, I would say you may want to rethink your statement.

I doubt those chainsaws, splitter, fuel to run them, maintenance to keep them running and whatever you haul your wood to and from was free......

Its only free as long as the tree is still standing. The minute you decide it will become firewood, its no longer free. :msp_wink:

Looking at your signature, I would say you may want to rethink your statement.

I doubt those chainsaws, splitter, fuel to run them, maintenance to keep them running and whatever you haul your wood to and from was free......

Its only free as long as the tree is still standing. The minute you decide it will become firewood, its no longer free. :msp_wink:

But, but, but...I cut the cost somewhat by alotting a bunch of it to the fitness club I don't have to pay dues to :)

Harry K

It was free you idiot!!!!

Then you said: "He gave me the wood for free. I paid him to deliver it!"

You called him an idiot????? You paid for the wood. Whether you call it a delivery fee or not.

You called him an idiot????? You paid for the wood. Whether you call it a delivery fee or not.

:agree2:

There is no such thing as free firewood, unless it is loaded into your stove at no cost to you, at the time it is needed.

:agree2:

There is no such thing as free firewood, unless it is loaded into your stove at no cost to you, at the time it is needed.

This Constrictor guy has been harrassing me on my phone telling me that he gets ALL his wood for free! I keep telling him IT"S NOT FREE! He has to buy gas, oil, chains, tires, wear and tear, and lots of other things. It all adds up and doesn't make wood for free.. UNLESS.. Someone else brings the wood to you, splits it, puts it in your stove and you watch them. AND you pay them NOTHING!

Point is. The tree service said I could have all the wood for FREE, But I paid him to deliver the wood. He had to go out of his way. And I gave him a nice tip for being a great guy!

Constrictor drives 1hr 15min ONE way for FREE wood! LOL.. :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Yeah, I kinda got that as well.

This Constrictor guy has been harrassing me on my phone telling me that he gets ALL his wood for free! I keep telling him IT"S NOT FREE! He has to buy gas, oil, chains, tires, wear and tear, and lots of other things. It all adds up and doesn't make wood for free.. UNLESS.. Someone else brings the wood to you, splits it, puts it in your stove and you watch them. AND you pay them NOTHING!

Point is. The tree service said I could have all the wood for FREE, But I paid him to deliver the wood. He had to go out of his way. And I gave him a nice tip for being a great guy!

Constrictor drives 1hr 15min ONE way for FREE wood! LOL.. :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

OK, so you paid $40 a cord for "delivery" and still incur the same costs as him, and he's an idiot?
"Free" means just that, I've had tree services drop wood off and they were happy to be rid of it and not have to pay to dump it.
In fact, I can make a phone call and Ashplund will drop off more wood than I can deal with through the winter in a week or less. For "FREE".
It would help if you described this a little better to start with, then "idiots" like myself wouldn't get the wrong impression about these things.

Yeah, I kinda got that as well.

OK, so you paid $40 a cord for "delivery" and still incur the same costs as him, and he's an idiot?
"Free" means just that, I've had tree services drop wood off and they were happy to be rid of it and not have to pay to dump it.
In fact, I can make a phone call and Ashplund will drop off more wood than I can deal with through the winter in a week or less. For "FREE".
It would help if you described this a little better to start with, then "idiots" like myself wouldn't get the wrong impression about these things.
Sorry. I would get free wood from him if I lived in town. But since I was 20 miles out he couldn't do it for free.
I still can't go out and bring back that much wood for what I paid.

Fair enough, and for the record, I have to drive 100 miles each way for my "free" Oak, that the idiots in the city can't seem to get enough of. But at $125 a face, $300 a cord (three face as I sell it), picked up, you do what you have to.

Back