Honey Locust

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Harden

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Does any one make furniture out of Honey Locust?

attachment.php

attachment.php

I have used it on small stuff but don't have enough of it for anything big yet. Works and machines like ash or oak. Beautiful wood. Sometimes has a slight greenish cast to it like sassafras or black locust does.

:confused:
I have used it on small stuff but don't have enough of it for anything big yet. Works and machines like ash or oak. Beautiful wood. Sometimes has a slight greenish cast to it like sassafras or black locust does.

Woodshop, I just acquired 15 honey locust logs that range from 15 to 22 inches on the small end. The shortest is 12 ft and the longest is 18 ft. Is it best to quarter saw them or plain saw them? The pics above are plain sawn.

Oh yes, does it dry like red oak or white oak?:confused:

:confused:

Woodshop, I just acquired 15 honey locust logs that range from 15 to 22 inches on the small end. The shortest is 12 ft and the longest is 18 ft. Is it best to quarter saw them or plain saw them? The pics above are plain sawn.

Oh yes, does it dry like red oak or white oak?:confused:

I've never milled or dried any, so don't know how it does in that department. What little honeylocust I have I was given or I traded for it. As for whether you should quartersaw those logs... that's just a matter of what you want in the end. Unless you (or a buyer) really wants it all quartersawn, I would do some of both. That way you get the whole array of grain patterns. Also remember that quatersawing when done right takes a lot of time. Also, if the logs are small, the pure quartersawn boards will not be very wide either. The larger of those logs are big enough to quartersaw and still get something useful, but 15" is on the minimum end by the time you slab it off. You will do a lot of futzing around and end up with lots of narrow boards. I don't like to quarter anything less than 20 inches, I'm too lazy and just don't want to take the time. Remember if you slice it through and through, some of the boards near the middle will be quartersawn anyway.

Back