Horse logging photos and stories

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokechase II

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Horse logging photos and stories:
Here are a couple photos of "Buck", from Redmond Oregon.
A mostly retired logger who does this for enjoyment.
I believe he is 'over' age 65. I know I am jealous of his fitness.
Very well liked gentleman.

First photo is with Buck logging up at Hosmer Lake. We did have a written complaint about using heavy equipment on that logging show. Guess we’ll have to go to Shetland Ponies.
Second Photo is of Bucks operation getting a look over by some National Guard Challenge Cadets. (This is a great program).

Last edited:
more photos

These are from just across the Deschutes River near Sunriver Oregon.

Buck usually uses just one horse and it is smaller Lodgepole logs. Most often the trees are beetle killed.
For the most part He cuts by himself (a son can be found out there too).

88 and still a better man than we

John:

Any chance of getting your mentor to do a thread like Art's?

Any photos from back in the day?

Nice photos. I use a gray of mine to get some firewood out sometimes when I can't get into a place without cutting a road in.

That first one above is in the sierra-nevada mts. n.california i belive.

If ya'll like those I've got tons more...

thanks woodchux, for the photographs of real loggers, I worked years ago with an old timer, he had a team of mules, in his day men had narrow minds and a broad back, now men have broad minds and a narrow back, I learned alot working with him, he had really mastered the (armstrong method) at 70+ years of age he was as tough as nails. can you share some more horsepow'r photo's with us ?

There is a lot of neat pics in here. Thanks guys for posting the early pics of the logging days, done before the materials of today.

-Steve

Latest posts

Back