Horse logging photos and stories

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oregon

I guess your third photo just above with an oregon label is what created the open terrain of eastern oregon.

thx !

Very nice pictuers :)
Thank you !!

btw what sort of tractor was it in one of the pictures ??

/Kristoffer

Good pics. Nice thing about horse logging is you don't have to worry about rolling the horse.

Ryan Willock said:
Good pics. Nice thing about horse logging is you don't have to worry about rolling the horse.
:laugh: Could'nt say about horses, but I had a mule flip over on me last year. A log hung up, and as they swung over to try and free the log they got into some kind of wet hole. When they are sinking there is no reverse, just go ahead. One of them has been there before (sinking) and she just calmly laid down and quit trying to pull. Buck freaked out a bit and ended up upside down on the wrong side of Kate. I felt it was too dangerous to try and unhook the hame strap in front of them so ended up cutting the traces. Once unhooked they were able to get up and walk away.

I've had my quarter horse trip & roll over on top of me.
Moral of the story...
Horses should only drink small amounts of beer
:givebeer:

That was a pic of MY skidder that rolled thursday week before last. Fortunately no one was hurt.

It's amazing how many logs they have loaded on some of those sleds in the winter.

horse loggin

Hi All,
I have some of those pics one that i know of came from Healing Harvest Forest Foundation, Jason Rutledge runs that. I think I saw a friend of mine in there that I almost bought a team of sufolks from about six months ago BIG GRIN
just a introduction of who I am. I was a certified arborist for a long time my ISA cert was WC1081, I let my cert lapse in 2000. I was a climber in the Bay area in Cali for 14.5 years. then I went into Sales and could not stand it so I quit LMAO Now I am trying to get a horse logging gig going up around Tahoe which is not an easy task with all the enviro laws. here is a link to my site (not sure if its ok to put links up) www.travelinhorsefarm.com/forest.htm I also have some cool horse logging links on my links page.

Dave Gunter

ukeman said:
Hi All,
I have some of those pics one that i know of came from Healing Harvest Forest Foundation, Jason Rutledge runs that. I think I saw a friend of mine in there that I almost bought a team of sufolks from about six months ago BIG GRIN
just a introduction of who I am. I was a certified arborist for a long time my ISA cert was WC1081, I let my cert lapse in 2000. I was a climber in the Bay area in Cali for 14.5 years. then I went into Sales and could not stand it so I quit LMAO Now I am trying to get a horse logging gig going up around Tahoe which is not an easy task with all the enviro laws. here is a link to my site (not sure if its ok to put links up) www.travelinhorsefarm.com/forest.htm I also have some cool horse logging links on my links page.

Dave Gunter

Interesting photos and I hope to dig some out to share some day. I know Jason but not well and he timbered around here quite abit mostly on High Knob above Norton. Pretty fair set up he has and some unique.

Speaking of not rolling the horses, its not exactly so. Logan Childress was one of the teamster drivers for Ritter when they logged this country eons ago and he had to design a j hook system on the mountain right behind me. He run a 12 mule team mostly as the logs was virgin timber and the smallest they got was 4 feet on the tip end then. He had to do cut outs in the laruel thickets and train the mules to turn into them down the hill about a 1/3 way down and the J released from the ring and the log slid right past the mules as compared to running over them. He would progress on down and then hook up again where it stopped. Generally two cut outs was all needed on the steep banks around here as they was steep but not long.

I was visiting with Alcieberry yesterday and he told me of how John W Bradshaw hire him and Loy at age 16 to run a mill and planning mill the likes of never seen before in these parts nor after. My Daddy much older than him and now deceased worked for them when he first married mom. Anyways the timbered 320 acres in tarrapan bottom above me here and done it with two man mercury chaing saws with 5 feet bars. Worked fine for small timber but they encounted some 7 feet diameter white oak that have to be chewed around like a beaver. Then once it was felled the and the first cut made they got to the mill and the mill was not big enough to handle it . They ended up drilling holes and shooting it with red ball powder and finally decided the time to manage it was not worth harvesting anymore of the big trees.

They set up there and would stack piles over 30 feet high. Then a year or so later graded it and planned it with a monster planner mill and made coffin boxes, t&g, bead board, lap, german and several more patterens and then had to restack the same piles to 30+ feet once the premium graded lumber was removed.

I know I am rambling here and new to this board but maybe yall are not familiar with the old ways. They could not use them mercurys to limb the trees and done all that with a double bit axe.

Berry said him and Loy got to haul the coffins to Hazzard Ky and finally learned to do it so they would get back late evening and park the Internationals at their houses and drive them back on the mountain and save that 3 mile walk to work.

I loved the stories as they just reinforced the same ones I had heard a life time from my Daddy.

Will try to share some more about Ritter, Yellow popular and later on the hunsakers from NC and Bradshaw as they came in after Yellow and Ritter.

Surely some of you guys must know of at least of Yellow Popular and Ritter if you are with in a touching state of mine as they timbered you out as well.

How about Splash dams ? Do any of you folks know of how they got the logs to market in the day ?

Charlie

Latest posts

Back