Horse manure as a good garden compost?.🤔🤔🤔

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are using any compost for the first time, ask the owners if they use herbicides in their field or hay.
A few people had to move their garden until the weed killer was filtered out by rain from old garden.
The horse manure I use is rotted & the owner use it on his garden, so I have no problem.
I have used cow, pig, chicken, rabbit* & horse manures for years, with no problem.
I have used coffee chaff, hay, pine & wheat straw, leaves & grass chipping also.
I just want you to be aware of the small chance that your manure could be a bad thing.

One slow, but very effective way to build your soil are wood chips. I get them for free from the electric company since they clear around the lines and need a place to dump the chips. It's usually mixed, but last time I got almost a whole truck of hardwood chips.

Let the pile naturally compose in the pile they leave. Then, lay it on a foot thick and let it break down further. Don't till it in until it has had a good opportunity to break down, or it will temporarily rob nitrogen from the soil as the microbes break down the wood. With wood chips, I've had the best garden soil quality I've ever had. The best thing is it's free and easy and it also helps keep the weeds away. Just watch out for the occasional ant colony they may chip up.

Last winter I put 20 yards of 3 year old cow poop on my garden. The area is 55x75. This was absolutely the best year ever. It almost worked me to death. I will be doing it again this year.

AA2C24D7-7B52-4475-BA4E-249F430BF11C.jpeg5C4A908B-7E8F-4F11-B02D-AF74C1EAEEED.jpegC942847B-6A21-4A3E-8B12-281E9BF859F4.jpeg15F66F08-6316-4521-8585-A5FD34E55EE8.jpeg
4C3EB7CB-B5A3-40C1-B357-7828A66F8791.jpeg

Hell yes.

I had a friend at a farm who never used "bad wormer", that wormer will kill earthworms.

He would dump loads of manure free. Springtime I'd use the tractor to put down ~6" on the whole garden, then plow/harrow it under.

Coop ext service did a soil test, said lots of organic matter and medium on nitrogen which will come up greatly as soon as spring and microbes let loose nitrogen. Nothing at all needed.

Making Kimchi from the garden grows napa cabbage and horse manure only for fertilizing.
Harvest the napa cabbages from the garden.

Kimchi is a fermented food that is naturally rich in probiotics (good bacteria for your digestive system).
It is the most famous Korean food for thousands of years.

kimchi is also a good source of many vitamins and minerals, including vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin K, vitamin B6, folate, iron, and manganese.

Highly recommended 🤣🤣🤣
Jkk

Making Kimchi from the garden grows napa cabbage and horse manure only for fertilizing.
Harvest the napa cabbages from the garden.

Kimchi is a fermented food that is naturally rich in probiotics (good bacteria for your digestive system).
It is the most famous Korean food for thousands of years.

kimchi is also a good source of many vitamins and minerals, including vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin K, vitamin B6, folate, iron, and manganese.

Highly recommended 🤣🤣🤣
Jkk

Is Napa hard to grow or harder to grow than European cabbage, which came first from the Middle East.

Not a fan of horse manure in wood shavings. It takes to long to break down, especially with heavy clay soil.

Right now I am using thick wet cow manure, mixed into used straw bedding. If you strive for a 50/50 mix of carbon to nitrogen and the weather temperature is right. I can compost down truck loads at a time in 30 days. Once it starts cooking down stir it up and add more.

There are some factors that have not been brought up. What do horses eat? Of course primarily grass during the growing season and hay on the off season. Many horse owners are picky about the hay they feed but no matter how picky they are hay still contains some grass and weed seed. Horses are not great digesters and the manure will contain weed seed. Manure from cattle that are fed hay is even worse. They will both work but you may have greater weed pressure.

Hog and poultry manure is higher in nutrient value per pound and does not have weed seed issues.

There are some factors that have not been brought up. What do horses eat? Of course primarily grass during the growing season and hay on the off season. Many horse owners are picky about the hay they feed but no matter how picky they are hay still contains some grass and weed seed. Horses are not great digesters and the manure will contain weed seed. Manure from cattle that are fed hay is even worse. They will both work but you may have greater weed pressure.

Hog and poultry manure is higher in nutrient value per pound and does not have weed seed issues.
The horse manure my son chopped into the soil at his rent property, has grown all the vegetables he planted without mulch or a flurry weeds. Matter fact, I saw very few weeds in the bed, but the tomatoes where massive & could have shaded out all the weeds in one end of the bed. He only used one trailer load in the 4' X 16' bed. Maybe the horse manure was well rotted & the heat killed the grass & weed seeds. I like poultry manure, but rabbit is best I have every used.

The horse manure my son chopped into the soil at has rent property, has grown all the vegetables he planted without mulch or a flurry weeds. Matter fact, I saw very few weeds in the bed, but the tomatoes where massive & could have shaded out all the weeds in one end of the bed. He only used one trailer load in the 4' X 16' bed. Maybe the horse manure was well rotted & the heat killed the grass & weed seeds. I like poultry manure, but rabbit is best I have every used.
Correct.

I don't use any fresh (raw) horse manure for compost but let it rot for more than 1 1/2 years or so with good heat.

I don't have much of a weed problems.

20221117_115818.jpg

If you are using any compost for the first time, ask the owners if they use herbicides in their field or hay.
A few people had to move their garden until the weed killer was filtered out by rain from old garden.
The horse manure I use is rotted & the owner use it on his garden, so I have no problem.
I have used cow, pig, chicken, rabbit* & horse manures for years, with no problem.
I have used coffee chaff, hay, pine & wheat straw, leaves & grass chipping also.
I just want you to be aware of the small chance that your manure could be a bad thing.
This is one of the things that are talked about in my vegetable grower meetings. Some horse people are picky and want weed free hay. The hay growers use some herbicides that take up to 3 years to break down even when composted. Look up N-P-K values for different types of animal manure to see what you are getting for nutrient values.

i have a sidewalk border project going on. this area seems to not encourage the border plants growth, despite being hardy. some other areas grows like weeds. so i am using a mixture of full composted bios, black cow and the orig top soil... i had thot of all compost as i have a lot of it. but trying the 1/3/1/3 1/3 mix.

P1010007.JPG

I use to use a lot of horse manure in my garden. My brother raised racking horses and always had plenty. I never let the manure completely compost. Once fully composted, the npk will be around .5/.5/.5. Of course, the manure was mixed with wood chips in the stalls so a little high nitrogen green manure worked just fine. I always would side dress on plants already growing and only mixed the manure into the soil at the end of growing season. I also used a lot of right of way mulch. I would let the power company dump on my property, sometimes a 100 loads or more, and use my tractor to turn the piles whenever the mood struck me. I would pour the wood mulch between the rows, 6 or 8 inches deep. Keeps the weeds down. In the fall, everything got tilled into the soil. I have grown taters big as footballs, Maters that would cover a paper plate, and green beans by the bushel in a 20ft row.

Latest posts

Back