Horse manure as a good garden compost?.🤔🤔🤔

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope that all of you ,using horse manure, are aware of a nasty thing living in the guts of all horses and there's plenty of it in their manure also .
It's latin name is Clostridium tetani.

Take care not to puncture or cut yourselves deeply enough ( where is lack of oxygen at the skin and muscle tissue ) ,when working at your garden.

Before a century ago ,when the use of horses for transport was still common,stepping onto a nail which came off from a horseshoe ,
could prove to be fatal .

(...)Tetanus is a potentially fatal disease characterized by muscular spasms caused by a neurotoxin produced by the bacterium Clostridium tetani. These organisms, and their spores, are found in the intestinal tract of horses and other species and are abundant in the soil, where they can survive for many years. The spores can enter open wounds, particularly puncture wounds, where they proliferate under the right conditions.(...)

https://ceh.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/health-topics/tetanus
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetanus

I hope that all of you ,using horse manure, are aware of a nasty thing living in the guts of all horses and there's plenty of it in their manure also .
It's latin name is Clostridium tetani.

Take care not to puncture or cut yourselves deeply enough ( where is lack of oxygen at the skin and muscle tissue ) ,when working at your garden.

Before a century ago ,when the use of horses for transport was still common,stepping onto a nail which came off from a horseshoe ,
could prove to be fatal .

(...)Tetanus is a potentially fatal disease characterized by muscular spasms caused by a neurotoxin produced by the bacterium Clostridium tetani. These organisms, and their spores, are found in the intestinal tract of horses and other species and are abundant in the soil, where they can survive for many years. The spores can enter open wounds, particularly puncture wounds, where they proliferate under the right conditions.(...)

https://ceh.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/health-topics/tetanus
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetanus
All farm work & animal/human manure is full of bad things, circle of life stuff.
Spade or pitch fork, one should use gloves & wash up after working manures.
Poultry manure is full of diseases & parasites as well, which is the main reason for turning manures under 90 days before planting
root crops. Or composting for a year before adding to garden soil.

What about using poultry manure for non-root crops? My neighbors are selling and they will be cleaning out the chicken coop one more time before they leave, maybe twice. Since they won't be planting the garden this year I can get the clean-out. Hardwood shavings with chicken poop. All they feed is layer mash, no grains.

What about using poultry manure for non-root crops? My neighbors are selling and they will be cleaning out the chicken coop one more time before they leave, maybe twice. Since they won't be planting the garden this year I can get the clean-out. Hardwood shavings with chicken poop. All they feed is layer mash, no grains.
Good question. Clean out maybe more composted than not.

"Because of the potential of transmitting human pathogens, such as E. coli, fresh manure should never be used on fruits and vegetables. If you are growing crops where the edible portion is in contact with the soil (such as carrots, beets, or potatoes) fresh manure applications should be made at least four months prior to harvest. On other edible crops, fresh manure applications should be made at least three months prior to harvest. With just a four month or so growing season, this means you should only apply fresh manure in the fall; not in the spring or during the growing season to any area that is or will be planted with food crops.
Composted manure
Composting manure eliminates some of the problems of fresh manure — including the odor. It is lighter and easier to haul since it has less moisture, and the composting process may kill weed seeds and pathogens if the pile heats above 145°F. But salts may be more concentrated and some of the nitrogen is lost, leaving the more stable organic forms. Composted manure has lower availability of nitrogen and will contribute more to the organic matter content of the soil compared to fresh manure."

Using Manure in the Home Garden​

https://hort.extension.wisc.edu/art... in fresh manure also,lead to a weed problem.

we use what ever manure we can. It all goes to the compost pile and gets turned along with leaves and chips. My daughter raises Alpacas so I get all I can from her. This year we put a home on 17 acres but lost our old gardens and will be making new gardens and raised beds. So we will be layering the best we can with wood chips cardboard rotten compost and leaves. But on top we will put sterilized horse manure.
The sterilized horse manure comes from mushroom growers. They take horse manure from a race track and steam sterilize it on racks in large kilns then plant their mushrooms in it. They never use the compost twice so you can buy it locally By the truck load. It’s good stuff with virtually no weeds. When you pile it and tarp it sometimes you get a good crop of mushrooms from it. Mushrooms are grown in a dark place so once you put it on your garden you usually do not get mushrooms but you do get good results for your veggies.

The world is fill of wild fungi, so sterilizing the manure is the only sure way of killing spores & mycelium.
The compost is great for garden or one can grow wine cap mushrooms right in the beds.
The wine cap grows in straw or hard wood chips.

Also know what has been sprayed on the pasture. Round up and the like can have a residual effect for three or more years. Doesn’t harm the animals, but can kill plants like tomatoes. I prefer chicken manure.

Also know what has been sprayed on the pasture. Round up and the like can have a residual effect for three or more years. Doesn’t harm the animals, but can kill plants like tomatoes. I prefer chicken manure.
I am lucky the ranch next to my farm has horse manure & they use it on their garden, so it is safe.
We got a load last spring & it was a year or two old & did fine.
My son put a 4 X8 trailer load & put in a 4X16 garden bed, about double what was needed for the hard dead soil.
His Sweet million tomatoes where 24 inch on center & they grew together like one plant.
So no bug or herbicide toxins in their horse manure.
But I use rabbit & poultry, cow manure also, with grass clipping, leaves.

The first year you use that sterilizes manure weeds are not much of a problem. The heat from the steam kills the weed seeds. After the first year I love chicken and alpaca manure as top dressing. My biggest problem is deer, for over 30 years all they bothered was corn, beans and transferred plants. They never touched the tomatoes and beets. About 3 years ago they started eating the tomatoes and beets.

So a fence is needed. It’s also nice in the fall to put the chickens in the fenced garden. I plan on putting up a green house at one end of my garden where water tends to lay. I would like to winter the birds in the green house and let them range in the gardens next winter.

I am just getting back into raising chickens but I do have some garden experience using chicken poop. I try to keep my coop floor covered in wood chips. I dont use those large shavings,, I get the fine chipped stuff in bags and spread it out in the coop. I then throw out a handfull of corn and let the chickens scratch it and sling it all over. Every week I will throw out a handfull of corn and the birds grind the chips into dirt. This keeps the smells down and the poop mixed very well. Once the sawdust/chips is almost dust, I take a rake and shovel and fill buckets. The buckets get emptied in my beds or dumped on the compost pile. Throw in another bale of chips and start all over. On another note, I just got a new rooster for my birds yesterday. Crazy thing wants to flog me every time I step in the pin. I and using his head for field goal practice and about got him running to the back of the pin now instead of chargeing me. Next move is to show him the frozen turkey in the freezer.

Gardening use to be a lot of fun. Now that I will be 75 this year not as much. This arthritis makes it hard to get down and even harder to get up. I am going to do my best to make as many raised beds as I can. Late in the year the weeds got ahead of me but we still ended up with a good yield across the board. Our 5 staples are potatoes,tomatoes,corn,beans, and squash. We still have all of those items in stock. We expect to run out of Potatoes mid March. The rest are frozen, canned or freeze dried should make it to at least til mid summer.We also have a good amount of peppers and beets.

I am retired now so I can devote all the time I can to get the job done. The problem is it will take me all day to do a job that a few years ago I could do in an hour. My one grandson seems to have an interest and was a huge help last year.

I am so happy to read about all of you and your experiences. Gardening is a lot harder for me then it use to be but yesterday we had roasted chicken, mashed potatoes,beans and squash for supper and we raised all of it. That kinda makes you feel good.

Gardening will be interesting at the new house (7 miles East from this one). Here I can't grow squash, the borers get them after the first flowers. The raised beds are going there at the new place.

Gardening will be interesting at the new house (7 miles East from this one). Here I can't grow squash, the borers get them after the first flowers. The raised beds are going there at the new place.
Spray the ground around the plants with spinosad. This kills the bugs before they can lay eggs and will kill any lava before they can bore into the plant. Spinosad wont do much of anything once the larva bore inside the plant.

I am not a summer squash person, but everyone else is, so when I have bore problems, I plant summer squash every two weeks all Spring & early Summer. I had all we could eat, freeze & give away, but with the squash bees, we never lost a bloom.
When A few bores showed up I killed them,, to late to save the vine, but never had that problem again.
With six to seven months of gardening the tomato worms & squash bores would have two seasons a year, so it was an every day job to control them.

There is a horse race track just a few miles from me and I can get all the manure I want for free. However in my opinion chicken manure is better then horse manure.

Back