hot muffler on Stihl ms250c

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kscutter

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I recently purchased an ms250c stihl chainsaw. The area around the muffler got so hot it melted the parts on the quick chain adjuster and severly discolored the area next to and below the muffler. The dealer confirmed that the muffler was running too hot (experienced dealer). He tried several things that he thought might be the problem with no results. He has taken pictiures and sent them off to the manufacturer He said his distributer has seen this on four other saws. has anyone else had this problem.

What kind of mix are you running in the saw and how is you carb set ? If it is to lean then it will run hotter eventually burning up the saw but if you dealer is even stumped then i'm sure he checked that. I would bet to comply with all the emissions stuff that the muffler is not open enough to let the saw breath so it is getting hot and melting all the stuff.

Did he check the carb inlet needle for proper setting, do a leak down check to see if there was a case leak causing lean running? If not he's not so experienced, is he.

he says he has checked both these things. He sells only stihl equipment and has been selling and repairing them for over 30 years.

Your not the first to have this happen with Stihl saws burning up plastic. Do a search here to find others. One was melting the chain break areas. GL

Back