Hourly rate to rent out my sawmill?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

softdown

There is only Ingsoc.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Local associates want to rent my Wood Mizer DT35. I want to charge by the hours used - it has an hour meter. No idea on a fair charge though.

I just can't find the time to saw logs this year. Might be good to make some money with it. It has 21 hours on an ~$30,000 sawmill.

These guys are above average in responsibility in my experience. Still a risk but what isn't?

The area is Forbes Park, Colorado. Prices are at least average to above average due to slight remoteness. It is ~20 miles to the closest town.

Local associates want to rent my Wood Mizer DT35. I want to charge by the hours used - it has an hour meter. No idea on a fair charge though.

I just can't find the time to saw logs this year. Might be good to make some money with it. It has 21 hours on an ~$30,000 sawmill.

These guys are above average in responsibility in my experience. Still a risk but what isn't?

The area is Forbes Park, Colorado. Prices are at least average to above average due to slight remoteness. It is ~20 miles to the closest town.

I won't even let friends borrow my chainsaws. I'd want some sort of security deposit that it comes back still cutting flat boards.

You like to start threads.

rent by the day a day not to exceed 8 hours or more costly. Just going by the hour meter will incentivize start stop which might be most ........
half of what a mini excavator costs. More than a hay bale shreader blower thing costs. Have you rented any equipment lately?

$50 a day, $300 for the week. I'd have them buy a dozen blades from you, and you'll buy back the ones they don't use.

I'd insist on working with them for an hour and make sure they know what they are doing.

The biggest fear would be them cutting off a limb and blaming you. Yeah, make them get insurance or pay for yours. After all considerations, I wouldn't let them touch it. Better would be mill for them (with their help) and charge them lumber rates, minus some % of what the lumber yard would charge them.

$50 a day, $300 for the week. I'd have them buy a dozen blades from you, and you'll buy back the ones they don't use.

I'd insist on working with them for an hour and make sure they know what they are doing.

The biggest fear would be them cutting off a limb and blaming you. Yeah, make them get insurance or pay for yours. After all considerations, I wouldn't let them touch it. Better would be mill for them (with their help) and charge them lumber rates, minus some % of what the lumber yard would charge them.
I would lend out my chainsaw for 50 bucks a day. For a machine that costs 30,000 I'd be looking for 500 a day and 3k a week.

I would lend out my chainsaw for 50 bucks a day. For a machine that costs 30,000 I'd be looking for 500 a day and 3k a week.
You could just go buy (most) dimensional lumber for a lot less.
Unless that's your "I don't wanna rent it out" price.....

I think I'd "lend out" my wife before I loaned out my sawmill...

PM me your address please 😂😂
(Kidding, of course!)

I would think that loading the logs on the mill would be the most dangerous for the mill. Drop or have a huge log roll and you could seriously tweak or damage the mill's deck. If the guy is going to mill 20" stuff or smaller, seems the worst that can happen is personal injury. Hell, I'd consider letting my neighbor's idiot wife run the machine no rental charge. :yes:

You could just go buy (most) dimensional lumber for a lot less.
Unless that's your "I don't wanna rent it out" price....

I agree, but you can cut specialized sizes in large lengths for under the 500 that would cost 3x in a store.

Sell the machine to them. You can't afford to repair it once it returns, and the daily kick in the ass will haunt you. Either park you 30K, or get shed of it. You are not a rental company.......

There is something seriously wrong with this thread started by softdown.
First, Wood Mizer does not make a model DT35. Poster says he doesn't have time to saw logs this year. States the saw has only 21 hrs on it. That means he hasn't ever had time to saw logs with his "30K" investment.
Wood Mizer does make a model LT35 with a base price of $18,495. With options, $25800.00.
Possibly the poster made a typo on the model number but the L is a long way from the D on the keyboard. And the cost.
Second, Why on earth would anyone consider renting out their 30K mill? The cost of liability insurance alone would be far more than you could make on rental charges. That's if you could even get a liability policy.
All that being said. I own a 2011 Wood-Mizer LT40HD. I am the sawyer. Avatar photo is the mill. The F350 with the drag in the background is what I haul logs and milled lumber on. The mill is stored in the barn behind the truck and drag. Cost in 2011 was $27800. The only option I did not purchase was the carriage seat which would allow me to ride with the mill head. At $1300 I figured I needed the exercise anyway. I bill out at $75 per hour. That charge is portal to portal if the mill needs to go on site. Soon to go up though because of fuel costs.
I totally agree with the Mad Professor. Useless without pics. Have a nice day. :cool: OT

I would think that loading the logs on the mill would be the most dangerous for the mill. Drop or have a huge log roll and you could seriously tweak or damage the mill's deck. If the guy is going to mill 20" stuff or smaller, seems the worst that can happen is personal injury. Hell, I'd consider letting my neighbor's idiot wife run the machine no rental charge. :yes:
Sure hope your neighbor isn't on this forum. lmao :cool: OT

I’d rent by the day with you being the operator, loader ,etc... of course with “the associates” helping. does jam up a Saturday but at least your making some $$ I’d say 6-7 bills for a day, plus lunch.

I’d rent by the day with you being the operator, loader ,etc... of course with “the associates” helping. does jam up a Saturday but at least your making some $$ I’d say 6-7 bills for a day, plus lunch.
^^^ This. The "associates" get to hump the boards, you operate the saw and crack the whip, and the beatings will continue until morale improves!

I wish someone around me would rent out a mill for a few days. They could even be the operator.

I would pay accordingly and well.

I have all the equipment to load and the people to offload.

There is a market for this service...a lot of money could be made for a person with enough ingenuity to pull it off.

I wish someone around me would rent out a mill for a few days. They could even be the operator.

I would pay accordingly and well.

I have all the equipment to load and the people to offload.

There is a market for this service...a lot of money could be made for a person with enough ingenuity to pull it off.
Me and my son did this for a friend, 3 nice ponderosa , 2 days work, $2,000. He was so happy with the work, he added $400. The lumber will be used for a green house and shop for his new home under construction as we speak.

Me and my son did this for a friend, 3 nice ponderosa , 2 days work, $2,000. He was so happy with the work, he added $400. The lumber will be used for a green house and shop for his new home under construction as we speak.

Last year a vacation resort ranch was bringing down 10s of Ponderosa. Really big stuff and arrow straight. They were offering if up for free. Two neighbors and I went down with our trailers and loaded them up heavy, for firewood. They were listing it as for use as lumber. No takers. I suspect those with the resources to handle those big woods had their own sources. A shame that the wood couldn't be best utilized. Though it was great for me.

https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/free-firewood-yeah-baby.352275/#post-7523256
1666973104395.png

Latest posts

Back