Hourly rate

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bootboy

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So my buddy who owns a yard care business wants to sub me for tree removal. Usually I bid a whole job and pay guys to haul for me. My question is what I should charge per hour as his sub. We are talking about insurance and whether he will cover me under his policy or if I should carry my own, which would obviously change how much I charge. So what are some going rates for climbers with either their own insurance or covered by a business owner? I just need a place to start because the cost of carrying my own insurance is pretty staggering.

Last edited:
Yeah, I should have read first, I've found some good info.

Cheers

I just need a place to start because the cost of carrying my own insurance is pretty staggering.

Shop around. My arborist liability insurance is $1,000/year which I think is dirt cheap....I can make that in less than a day. Keep in mind that covers ONLY me and does NOT include workers comp etc. Nonetheless, I can't imagine doing any technical treework, as an owner or as a sub, without my own insurance. Plus, it makes you look professional and helps you get more desirable jobs.

You must have extremely low limits to get a policy for $1000 a year!

$2,000,000 policy. I have shopped around and $1,000/year is normal for this area. That's why I laugh when people say they can't afford the insurance. One job pays for it and then I'm covered for the whole year! I pay $838/year, to be exact.

just watch out when your income grows, and or you start hiring people legit. You will be audited and your premium will go up. $ 800-900 a year is the minimum liability policy for most insurance companies. Its based on a payroll of $24000 or less I believe.

As for hourly rate, if its your gear-saws-insurance. I prefer to get paid by the tree - by the job. Hourly rate usually ends up screwing a fast climber unless you can get someone to agree to $100 an hour or more. I have found subbing for other services to be a waste, unless your very slow. I only sub for one or 2 other guys at the moment and they are the only 2 who pay well and actually own a decent company. You will almost always be better off spending time looking for more work/advertising for yourself then working for someone else...

Latest posts

Back