House temp vs outside temps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Curious what other stove users are getting for temp differentials using only a stove to heat the house. Here is my setup.
3000 sq ft well insulated two story open plan
Jotul Firelight CB
Burning 2yr seasoned maple and hickory
I am able to keep about a 60-70 deg difference between the outside and inside temp. I can even push it up a bit further if I am around to baby sit the stove and keep it really ripping. I am calculating this on night time temps so there is a net 0 solar gain for the house.
What is everyone else getting?

I'd say you're doing pretty well at that difference. The only times I can get 70 degrees difference in my house, is once in a while I have a piece of hedge go "Super Nova" on me. Most of the time it's 50 - 60 difference.
Stay warm...

Friday Night, outside -2, inside 68 downstairs 65 upstairs 3200 sq. ft. home open floor plan Lopi Freedom insert, heat has not been on all winter, gotta love it

I haven't seen it cold enough that I could really check it. When it is 10 outside I can run the living room up to 78 with the stove 1/2 open. The bedrooms in the back of the house only get up to 65 then. My house is a single level 1300 sqft well insulated but with old single pane windows. The stove is a Wondercoal model 2827. Wood is 2-3 year seasoned oak, locust, and hickory.

Can I comment eventhough I have an OWB?? I keep my place at 70 degrees all winter long. I do have the thermostat set at 66 at night, (around 9:30) when we are sleeping then have have it set to turn on around 6:00 to get it set for when we wake up. It stays 70 when it is 0 degrees or colder.

I just can't quite heat the entire house if the wind is blowing and it'
s below about +5 or so. If no wind, we're good to -10, colder than that we need to turn on the furnace. We have small children, so we are used to the house being between 72 and 80. Spoiled from the wood heat. We don't spend over $400 a year on heat.

let's see....it was about -4 last night, bedroom was 67 and the main house was (still) about 80. that was after the fire burned down. 2000 sq ft ranch...heated by a simple fire place.

That's a hellofa fireplace...

Those are the kinda results I get in about the same size , type house, not well insulated but a good circulatable floor plan. Burning a Lopi Endeavor for everything its worth and this old no good PNW Piney woods... Course I'm the guy thats burned the air tubes and baffle suports out of his stove several times too...actually I need a Liberty sized stove, what I want is a Blaze King....

i can easily do 90* above outside temp, and have seen over 100* over outside temp. 900sqft being heated; i dont heat the upstairs. right now its 0.8* outside, and 83.2* in the kitchen. sometimes its a bit oppressive, but who really cares

Geeesus Man!, We have to open windows down to about zero if I fire the wood furnace too much. I can keep the house too warm even at -25. No need to have the oil furnace kick in. If the furnace is running, I am not feeding the wood furnace. I really hate to pay for fuel oil.

A stretch from actually temp but when our friends come over for the wood fired hot tub (they heat with oil and you freeze your butt off) and it is 0 degrees outside and we have the windows open and the house is 75 it kind of gives me a chubby

I agree, bigger stove and some good ol cottonwood, that will keep ya warm. My house is very well insulated, new windows, and a King by blaze king, simply put how warm/hot do you want it. I can easily put +100 over outside temps, I put up a post last year of +122, I love my blaze KING!

It was -15 last night and 70 in the house this morning when i woke up. Raked the coals and tossed some more scrap wood in and we were back to 78-80.

1400 sqft ranch and basement for a total of 2800sqft. I just switched over to my Englander wood furnace last week. The Englander 2200sqft stove was having a hard time heating the basement and upstairs.

I love the wood furnace! Sweating as I type!

My house usually hovers around 62-70 degrees, when it usually ranges from -5 to 36 degrees outside, depending on windchill.

1200 sq ft, well insulated, Jotul F118CB. 70-75f inside, no matter the outside temp.
Have to work at it to keep the inside temps that low :D

When we got home Monday morning after being at work for 13 hours it was -2 outside and 59 inside. The wife stocked up her Avalon stove in the living room and I lit the EnergyKing furnace in the basement. By the time dogs/horses/chickens/cats all fed (about 1 1/2 hours) it was up to 81 in the house. I don't think that's too bad. Of course the furnace is such a wood hog we don't burn it all the time, the wife's stove however is 24/7.

Well anymore if its not at least 75 in the house I feel cold, but I have had the opposite problem of many on here, and that's trying to not overheat the house. Last time I fell asleep after loading the stove with wood and woke up to 104 deg and climbing! Load the Blaze King Ultra with wood, get fire going good, then set the gauge at 1 1/2 and forget about it for 36 hours. Burning elm, cottonwood, and pine and heating 1300 sq ft with no insulation on the floor. So far even at -11 no problem heating every room to 75 and use very little wood. Can't say enough about the Blaze King and we heat 100% with wood from now on. No Heat Bill, now just gotta figure out how to get free beer! Hmm...

Latest posts

Back