How’d I do?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good little saws.
The intake screws come loose.
Does it have a decomp, looks like it could be a closed port.
If it has the decomp, use it, they can be quite high in compression.
It does have a decomp but the little button fell off. Assume that means closed port. How does the intake boot do the n these? Is that a failure part like stihl? How about opening up the muffler, will that make it pop? It bogs a little, but it had crap gas in it so we’ll see once I get the clutch sorted out.

It does have a decomp but the little button fell off. Assume that means closed port. How does the intake boot do the n these? Is that a failure part like stihl? How about opening up the muffler, will that make it pop? It bogs a little, but it had crap gas in it so we’ll see once I get the clutch sorted out.
You should get whatever you need to in order to fix that decomp, otherwise you can bust the recoil. This is coming from a guy who doesn't use them ;). I think the closed ports all had the decomp, I think it also has a bunch of x's on the side of the cylinder base as well, like three iirc.
Not sure if the intake boot themselves fail, never really had one long; I'd rather run three series saws, but I've had quite a few of them.
Here's the link for the fix for the screws/partition.
https://www.arboristsite.com/thread...ntake-partition-with-stripped-threads.298076/Most saws benefit from a muffler mod, just need to re-tune the carb afterwards.

How’d I do and any watchouts for a saw this old? It drags chain at idle so I know immediately it’s going to need some new springs.

View attachment 1120255
Buddy has one. He has replaced the oil line & pump for leaking all the oil out. Also replaced the fuel lines. It’s his go to farm saw. Congrats

Buddy has one. He has replaced the oil line & pump for leaking all the oil out. Also replaced the fuel lines. It’s his go to farm saw. Congrats
The trick for that is to get the lines and pump clean, then use a couple drops of superglue :).
Hope alls well down your way.

The trick for that is to get the lines and pump clean, then use a couple drops of superglue :).
Hope alls well down your way.
I’ll have to remember that. Have neighbors 350 doing the same thing.
Lil chilly today with drizzle. Neighbor grabbed some wood outa the barn for a fire tonight.
Your barn has been looking good Brett

Hi the 50,51 and 55 are good saws but the ones I have owned had two problems. The carb screws get loose and a air leak behind the carb.The impulse track is to long and when the carb screws get loose it sucks air.But there is a permanent fix find 2 hex head bolts that will go through the carb.Grind one side of the bolt head off.Drill out the holes to accommodate the bolts.Put them in from the back side,they fit tight but they won't turn when you put the lock nuts on.The front side of the air filter holder.I also put 1184 on the front side off the carb dam and then the gasket.This usually stops the air leak behind the carb,Oh and I pull the impulse nipple out of the hole and take a qtip and put 1184 in the sides of the whole and on the sides of the impulse nipple.Then i put 1184 on the impulse finger on the carb dam.Just be careful not to stop up the impulse I have fixed a bunch like this and if you do it right it will last.

I wonder if it’s happy with both .325 and 3/8” chain. . It’s currently got 20” bar with 3/8” on it. Not sure how that’s gonna work out, other than slow as ****.

& the clutch drum bearing... I got a Dolmar cheap from the local pawn shop a while back, the clutch drum bearing was so gummed up it span the chain when you pulled it over

That’s kinda what I was thinking a 50cc saw shouldn’t have enough ass to pull that much 3/8 chain. It looks like skip chain but still…don’t know why..
The newer mtronic and AutoTune saws will pull a 20x3/8 just fine for firewooding if you know how to tune a chain well. Then again, I don't recommend those saws for firewooding typically.

Back