How are other tree companies fairing in other states

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea been just as slow in Jersey for me as well. Have had 3 days of sub work since christmas and 1 estimate that I have yet to hear back from. Guess I picked the wrong year to take off from doing snow removal. But I am expecting to at least get back at in within the next week even if just 2-3days per week. Nice seeing a break from snow storms and for a good bit of it finally melting.

winter work

I have clients that I always do winter tree pruning for. I also advertise tree work at reduced winter rates. I get a couple of calls a week. Try it.

Things seem to finely be opening up and there has been a lot more work compared to last year. If only the weather would cool down some.
Been side tracked today because of wind again. Beastmaster

I don't care what any body says theres money in snow I have 2 machines that I own and 2 long term rentals, the average pay here is 110 per loader and 180 per backhoe and 200 for a rubber tire loader, the average pay per shoveler is between 35/40 billable per hr. So lets just say that theres plenty of money in it ... And even know there are alot of people out of work in this economy for one there was a shortage of good equipment and a real shortage of good men to run it ... I have made money on snow and ice management EVERY year since I was 14 .... So be afraid to make the investment it will be worth it ....

Lots of trucks running around here with new blades on them that don't have a scratch on them. We haven't had 3" of snow in the most parts of the city.

It's been a really easy winter except that nobody is buying tree work. Few calls, but things are just beginning to pick up.

we have been doing surprisingly good thru this winter. had work almost every day cept for last week during that snow stom but we still had jobs pending. miss the summertime though. :censored: cold n snow

Lots of trucks running around here with new blades on them that don't have a scratch on them. We haven't had 3" of snow in the most parts of the city.

See! I told you it happens. Mostly, you need to understand your climate and your clientele. If you live in Buffalo, NY, I guess you don't need to worry about getting enough snow. In KC, sometimes you have great years, and other years you hardly drop a plow on the ground.

Bottom line: if this is a real heavy year for snowfall in your area, you can bet that a heavy investment in snow removal equipment isn't a good idea. If it wasn't worth your time for several years before this one, you can bet money that it won't be worth it in all the years to come.

Dead. But I cut loose from the ROW really late in the season, finished up almost all the side work I had before Christmas, and I'm waiting for the temps and snow to give me a break, to get things going again. Phone hasn't rang since the first real snow fall, and I have a local radio ad running, mostly to get the name out there. I've been selling all my access stuff, snow plows and 4x4 "toys," and working on equipment in the meantime. Time well spent.

I'm coming out in the yellow book and AT&T dex for the first time in march, and I've developed an online presence. Books hit the door steps in March. I'm a bit nervous about being overrun with calls.

Looking forward to the thaw this weekend and next week, I have a couple jobs that could give us a spark once the snow melts.

When in doubt have a salter , you are guaranteed at least 30 hrs. a year here with ice .. start small and buy something you can afford and build from there , and if it sits for a year who cares theres always next year, my loaders go away in the container and pop back out in NOVEMBER means nothing to let them sit ..I am not saying to slam yourself into debt , but snow is a way to fill the winter gaps that have been there for me since I started ...

Last edited:

It's been a really easy winter except that nobody is buying tree work. Few calls, but things are just beginning to pick up.
You'll have that from year to year but what part of business isn't a gamble I will never say that debt on new equipment is smart .. But its like everything else you roll the dice and hope that you make something , I haven't spent major money ever on just one venture I have grown my equipment and bought what I can afford to pay cash for and so far it has not let me down .. I have machinery here that is almost 20 years old working in the snow and other than payroll and maintenance I make money ..

Lasy winter we had almost 9 ft. of snow total over several storms. That almost has never happened here. Every once in a while we'll get 2 ft and it melts within a couple days but not last year. It stuck around.

This year we are back to normal.
We've had 1 6 " snow and 3-4 <1.5" snows and a few little ice/sleet events.

I'm hoping to pick up some cheap eqpt. this summer to be ready for the next few years:yoyo:

This year has been different than all the rest, seems people are travelling alot compared to other years. All this economic uncertainty is really creating an unstable feeling. Competition is definetely factoring in nowadays~ where years past have not had this problem...anyways we will all survive i am confident of that.

Dead. But I cut loose from the ROW really late in the season, finished up almost all the side work I had before Christmas, and I'm waiting for the temps and snow to give me a break, to get things going again. Phone hasn't rang since the first real snow fall, and I have a local radio ad running, mostly to get the name out there. I've been selling all my access stuff, snow plows and 4x4 "toys," and working on equipment in the meantime. Time well spent.

I'm coming out in the yellow book and AT&T dex for the first time in march, and I've developed an online presence. Books hit the door steps in March. I'm a bit nervous about being overrun with calls.

Looking forward to the thaw this weekend and next week, I have a couple jobs that could give us a spark once the snow melts.

I wouldnt be too nervous people think being in the phone book is going to make the phone ring off the hook. They do work some what, the people are calling everyone else too. I thought the same thing most off the calls are coming from past customers and referrills those are the best.

You will definitely generate more traffic. You get a lot of tire kickers, people price shopping and will probably get to know your big time competitors on a first name basis after meeting up enough times to bid the same jobs.

Welcome to the game...

Best January, then--nothing. If the economy is recovering, it is not making it to my side of the fence!

Slow here, have lots of work, but cant get to it, freakin snow!. All the money I put into my bucket truck could have bought a plow and a spreader for my 250. I will gear up for snow this year as some of you, but we will only get an inch next year! so I am mentally prepared for that already! Ran out of firewood, so we finally took down the huge red oak in the back yard, hit by lightning about 5 years ago, have been using it for training, but need to make some money, so it became firewood! I'm with yall on the snow being the primary next year, just hope it doesn't fizzle as we know it will!
Check this out fur numbas
$6739.32 for payments on my equipment loan thru the SBA.
$4934.20 in repairs on the bucket.
So with the other 2 pieces in the mix of the loan, I PAID MORE TO FIX IT THAN TO BUY IT!! Lets not talk about the lost time and work it cost me. I was determined to trade it in, wife had some logic tho "well, you have replaced or fixed just about everything on that POS, why get rid of something that is practically rebuilt?" Good point! I think I will hold on a bit, beings the truck is, as she said, almost new again!
Got into it pretty bad with dude I bought the truck from, told me it was inspected, by who a monkey in lab coat?

Latest posts

Back