How bad did I mess up this Cylinder?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It should work. Could use a lil more arch on the ex roof & floor, but I think thats how those cyl are from the factory. Looks to be a husky 41 cyl. Make sure the edges are beveled a bit & smooth to keep the rings from wearing.

219323d1327378487-img_3224-jpg

219324d1327378537-img_3225-jpg

219325d1327378662-img_3227-jpg

219332d1327378796-img_3230-jpg

219333d1327378838-img_3231-jpg

How bad?

The top of the cylinder looks good, but it looks like there is some damage to the edge of a transfer port. If it is starving for gas (after warm up) when you reassemble, suspect the cylinder. The integrity of the lower part of the cylinder is crucial to fuel delivery.

DT

Well it runs.
Sounds ok, cuts ok.
I'm going to run a few tanks through it and see how it holds up.
Then I'm going back in for more w/ fresh rings.
Thanks.

generally you only check compression cold becouse you know its the same. if you check it hot it will read much lower and read different the hotter it is.

generally you only check compression cold becouse you know its the same. if you check it hot it will read much lower and read different the hotter it is.

I have seen them drop when hot, but I think I might of hurt it.
Snaged a ring or scuffed the bore too much, somthing.
Have you seen them drop that much?
This is a semi-scored jug/slug and a worn ring.
Thanks.

Tear it down & see whats goin on with it.:msp_thumbsup:

Might have to, but I want to check if the bottom is gonna hold, got the rest of a soft wood top to finish(few cuts).
I don't know if this is a good idea now. I don't want to hurt the jug any more than it already is, if I do its done.
Nice to hear it run.

Unless you enjoy tearing it down, you might want to remove the exhaust and have a look at the piston. Often the piston and the cylinder will look about the same. If you don;t see new scratching or wear, I'd saw on.

If it starts and runs well, 135 hot or cold may work just fine for you.

It looks like you really cleaned up the cylinder before assembly and the normal horizontal fine scratches are visible in the cylinder. Can you describe what you did to clean it up and what tools, if any, you used?

I don't if this matters or not, just an idea, I was running it w/o the top cover, (so I could check my burn, leaks, and easy access to the carb screws), which is also part of the blower houseing. The fan was essentially doing nothing, might of caused it to run hotter than normal, which in turn made the metal expand more than it should have, decreasing the ring/cylinder wall seal. Long shot, but sounds good in my head.
The "Awsome" chain that came with it, was thrown on the saw, filled it up w/ cold, thick bar oil, cutting frozen Box Elder.

I will pull the muffler and check for scoring, recheck squish, before I do anything, if everything looks ok I will do a cold comp. I'm guessing if its ok I should see at least 155-160. That ring was pretty beat.

As far as the bore goes, I took some light oil, fine sand paper, w/ a light touch, and alot of patience removed the little transfer that was there. I wanted to hone it but....$ A new Medium scotch bright pad and light oil was used like a hone, very light touch let the pad just kinda scuff the bore. NOT THE BEST WAY, but it worked, it runs. The only thought is did I make it out of round?

Back