How close is too close

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would say that if you have to ask, you are probably too close, but I see you are from Alaska and i dont know how things go up there.:cheers:

That depends on a couple of things. How well do you get along ? how well seasoned will the wood be ? are they possibly of a like mind as you and are already burning wood ?

LOL I'm no help on this one. I live in town and couldnt find a spot more than 100 feet from them if I tried.

I have thought about putting one in the garage behind house but not looking forward to plumbing it in or clearing enough room in there to do it.

I would also look at elevation and prevailing winds. If you are lower and to the west of them, you maybe got a problem.

I would also look at elevation and prevailing winds. If you are lower and to the west of them, you maybe got a problem.

Or sitting in a valley that the air settles into at night. We drive by such a location and the valley holds the smell for a half mile.

Ken

My closest neighbor that is downwind is about 350 feet and they said they have never smelled my OWB smoke. We have some nice woods between us and when there is a breeze in their direction the trees/brush breaks up the flow and mixes the air and smoke before it gets to them. Their house is about 50 feet higher than mine and on the calm damp days that the OWB is the stinkiest.....I don't believe the smoke rises enough to get to their house. On very calm damp days the smoke just kind of lays around our property.

Our winds are pretty consistently from the southwest and it is rare that we ever smell the smoke from our own OWB as the smoke blows away from our house. If your winds are similar and you neighbor is downwind......I think your OWB would need to be far away from your neighbor or you would need a tall stack to get the smoke over them.

Maybe you should get a larger unit and share it with your neighbor and you could both heat your houses with the same OWB? It would then be hard for them to complain about the smoke!

Yeah what chainsawaddict said.

Even with good neighbors ya have to be careful with OWB's...the continuous smoking can quickly sour a good relationship. the shorter stack height promote that ground hugging smoke too.

Last edited:
Some variables besides the distance to be considered. Closest to mine is about 150' and have another not much father away but both are more or less up wind.
With close neighbors I would recommend that you buy a stove with forced draft for less smoke. Burn the same wood (dry and size) that you would burn in a woodstove. Get the stackup a ways, above the roof line is nice. Don't plan on running it all summer to heat the water. Be a nice neighbor,and last you might as well plan on having problems if your neighbors have Obama signs in the yard.

Be a nice neighbor,and last you might as well plan on having problems if your neighbors have Obama signs in the yard.[/QUOTE] now thta right thar is funny!!! like ot place a owb strategically next to the neighbors "obama" house!!!!!!! :) :cheers: :cheers:

Mine is 250ft from the property line and by the time the smoke hits the hedgerow on the property line, the smoke is completly disapated into the air. I only burn good seasoned hard wood.

Horizontal chimney

If your neighbor has an Obama sign you should:

1. Belittle them by asking if they would like to pay your increased tax bill,
2. Put the OWB on the property line where it abuts his, OR
3. Go out around 2 AM and grab the sign for fuel (We can make this one exception for burning trash in your OWB!):clap:

Latest posts

Back