How close to ground?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpaayDawg

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've been a long time firewood cutter, and have usually watched my father felling. Now that I'm starting to do more of the felling I have a question about where to start my "notch" and cut. I've seen people start at their waist, knee-high, or barely off the ground. Is there any advantage in staring lower or higher? Is the height based on the tree or the sawyer or both? Is it commonplace to cut down the tree then go back to cut the stump off for firewood?

I ask only because I've seen so many different things I don't want to have to "try" different things and have the worst happen. Thanks, everyone.

Unless there is a technical reason to choose a different height (such as trunk damage), I stump firewood trees at whatever height is comfortable for me to cut at, then I make a cut as low as possible if I have been asked to flush cut it.

One exception is if I know that I (or someone else) is going to pop the stump with equipment, in which case I cut the stump as high as I safely can to provide more leverage.

If I am cutting to mill then I go as low as possible to maximize board feet.

Couldn't agree more.
I always cut at waist height first whenever possible.
You should always have a pre-planned escape route and already standing straight upright gives you that extra second or two to get gone.

Unless there is a technical reason to choose a different height (such as trunk damage), I stump firewood trees at whatever height is comfortable for me to cut at, then I make a cut as low as possible if I have been asked to flush cut it.

One exception is if I know that I (or someone else) is going to pop the stump with equipment, in which case I cut the stump as high as I safely can to provide more leverage.

If I am cutting to mill then I go as low as possible to maximize board feet.
:agree2: That is the reason. I could not have said any better.:cheers:

There is no "Easy Button" with this one...

Each tree is different. You have to judge where to cut it based on the condition and shape of the holding wood (avoiding problems like hollows), the direction you want it to fall (if hillside, etc.), avoid obstacles (large rocks or existing stumps), clear area for felling (if clear area is shorter, a higher cut may be necessary).

With experience, you will be able to recognize how each variable works into the equation.

Back