How cold is too cold?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homelite

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I wanted to spend some time this weekend quartersawing a large maple log I have, but was wondering how cold is too cold to mill? It is supposed to be a high of about 10deg F this weekend, which I don't mind working in, but are there any cons to the saw performance? If I decide to mill, then I will have to shovel off about a foot of snow from the logs, but I just call it "log frosting".
The worst part is that after -45 degree wind chills last weekend it got up to the mid 30's this week, only to be snuffed out by cold for the weekend. Oh well.

Hey I know what you mean its been a bear in southern Mi. too!! I know its colder the farther north you get but man this is not what everyone is used to so I guess thats what makes it rough!! Anyway I got out my firewood saw a couple weekends ago and long story short it threw the chain and I could'nt even clean it out once I took the cover off all the sawdust had already stuck to the inside and froze solid!! I also noticed to bar oil was'nt coming out like it should but I didn't use "winter" oil I wanted to use up what was in the resevoir. I know guys on here do it I would imagine the only absoulte thing would be to use a thin bar oil. I haven't milled in these temps but cut some firewood (or started to) and thats the big thing I noticed for me more than normal build up and the bar oil thing. On the other side of that it would be easier on the engine than hot weather and I've heard that mentioned in thread on here before so at least thats a plus. just my 2 cents lets all hope it warms up soon!! I really can't wait for spring!! take care irishcountry

I know what you mean

Its not been that cold here but it got up to 35F the other day and it felt like a warm springs day.

Bar oil not flowing is usually only an issue trying to pour it into the saw. Once the saw warms up, it heats up that oil in the reservoir also, and the saw feeds oil to that bar fine even when it's real cold.

For what it's worth, I enjoy milling when it's cold much better than when it's hot. I was out last weekend in a windy 11 degrees cutting firewood for my Dad and once I got working, was toasty warm. You have to know how to dress for cold... layers!!! Wicking inner layer, then pile on the shirts/thin coat etc as needed. If real windy, an outer wind stopping layer helps keep the heat in. wicking inner layer, I'm sold on those pricy but high tech undergarmets from LL Bean... 32 bucks a pop, buy hey, THEY WORK and work well all day long.

I say go for it. I am planning on doing a little tomorrow and it is supossed to be in the teens here. I did some light milling the other day on some thin stuff and the saw dust froze to the part of my bar not in the wood until the bar warmed up. I sat it down to take a break and the bar ended up caked again in sawdust and ice. I just cut a few pieces and the bar was warm again and melted all the ice.

I have been running Bailey's Motion Lotion Biodegradeable B&C oil and it seems to be doing great. It is pretty thin anyway and it doesn't seem to thicken up much with the cold.

Good luck and post about any problems.:greenchainsaw:

I'm sold on those pricy but high tech undergarmets from LL Bean... 32 bucks a pop, buy hey, THEY WORK and work well all day long.

+100

Yep, I got a pair of Patagonia base layer bottoms for Christmas. After wearing them out once cutting, I went back and bought another one and a short sleeve shirt to match. I hate being cold, so what always happens is that I over dress for the occasion, get sweaty and then still end up getting cold from being wet. It still happens, but the base layer keeps my skin dry so I don't get cold as quickly. One day I'll learn..... or not :dizzy: .

Ian

I got a pair of base layer pants for christmas as well. The are silk on the inside and wool on the outside, but are super thin. I think she got them out of the campmore catalogue. I don't know how much she spent, but they are worth every penny. I need to get another pair as well, these are starting to smell funny...................or I guess i could wash them.

I don't mind the cold at all except for the fingertips that I've injured - a couple ache like crazy at the slightest exposure to cold. Just barely above freezing is a nice temp for me. I just hate digging wood out of the snow.

I don't mind the cold at all except for the fingertips that I've injured - a couple ache like crazy at the slightest exposure to cold.

I think I've lucked out with my tablesawed fingers... so far no bad reaction to cold weather. The numbness is a pain in the rear but that's there no matter what the temp is.

Ian

It's funny you guys have the same issue I do! I am missing about a half inch off of my left middle finger (tablesaw, about 10 years ago) and it goes crazy in the cold. Sometimes it aches, sometimes its numb, and sometimes it feels really hot. It is weird. I'm just glad I'm not missing more.

When that finger gets to aching it is like a little reminder to be safe or I could be missing more stuff!

I was at an auction yesterday to buy some ols woodworking machinery in downtown Chicago, and all I could think about was the unheated warehouse I was standing in for 4 hours and they hadn't even gotten half way to the drill press I wanted. I kept trying to rationalize being there, but left to get some work done at the house and to set up the big maple log for milling. I bought some "cull" lumber from Home Depot (best deals ever) to set the log up off the ground so the jack could fit underneath. I used a system of rope and ramps to use my truck to pull the log on to the 6x6's. It worked quite well. Anyway, I will be taking some pics today when I start squaring it up and start milling. I should end up with quartered maple starting at 8 inches in width. I anticipate quite a bit from this log as it is 24 inches and virtually no taper (less than 2 inches over seven feet). I will start a new thread with pics of the process/results.
Not to make this a thread about tablesaw accidents, but back in college I about lost the left index finger. Between that and my right hand after having carpal tunnel surgery less than a month ago, I was getting a little achy by the end of setting up the log. Well, it's 0600 on a Sunday morning and I had better get the saw ready for a workout.

Last edited:
Not to make this a thread about tablesaw accidents, but back in college I about lost the left index finger. Between that and my right hand after having carpal tunnel surgery less than a month ago, I was getting a little achy by the end of setting up the log.

So far I haven't gotten into any fights with my tablesaw (uninjured fingers crossed!). The jointer got the tips of the first three fingers on my right hand, though it's only the index one that really bothers me in the cold. Took the camera out last Sunday in -15°C for a while and it was aching really bad. The ring finger on my left hand got pinched in the stacker outfeed lift chains at the fingerjoint mill I used to work at a few years ago and pulled the end right off leaving a stub of bone hanging out. They put it back on but I still lost a bit of length and while the tip is now numb, it aches in the cold too.

Back