how did you handle your first climb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
freeweight

freeweight

ArboristSite Operative
my first was a removal and i was very very slow and had a hard time trusting my spikes ,after getting tied in big weight lifted of my shoulders

everything i was told ,and researched just wasnt computing up there....people taunting me on the ground didnt help

Last edited:
gorman

gorman

Addicted to ArboristSite
My boss said "get up there and cut that branch, I gotta go to class." then left. I went up after an hour of dilly dallying and cut it. Then I realized I didn't know how to get down. My groundie didn't speak english and kept saying "no se". Finally I figured out that when you pull down on the friction hitch, you go down.

Komitet

Komitet

ArboristSite Member
I was very lucky my first climb, it was a massive oak cabling job, the second climber hadn't shown that day, I was able to climb with the owner, to this day I still hear his voice in my head, I put my full trust and respect for this job to learning with him. That was 1998, and he had 25 years at that time.

superjunior

superjunior

Addicted to ArboristSite
My first was easy, a small dying fir in my bosses back yard. They talked me through it and I loved it. All with a handsaw of course. Just limbed it up, put a rope in the top and rapelled down. I thought it was the coolest thing in the world. That was back in 1988

Treepedo

Treepedo

ArboristSite.com Sponsor
My first climb was to top a Weepin Willow in downtown TO/cabbage town, a tight lilltle yrd behind the brownstone with lines everywhere.
I never even wore spurs at this point and put one on backwards and the foreman laughed and showed me what was right. Fn Hor-ticulturist he cursed.
I got up the tree and they passed me 036 and coached me through a dozen cuts until I broke the filter cover and the boss thought it was enough of initiation and didn't want to see any blood or didn't feel like fixing somethin else I broke.

I am not sure what I enjoyed more that day. Runnin a saw at high RPM and hanging from the rope :chainsaw: or showin the guys the no fear factor:skywalker: or the five $ hoes in the alley:sweet_kiss:(kiding) :msp_razz:

Thanks Edison, Tom,Gary and crew for showin how the big city boys getr done :cheers:

Latest posts